2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
kptaylor

Re: 2018 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

Agreed on their prudent use of available funds but more money is more money. For Ocon, unless he comes up with sponsorship money or can get Toto to offer an engine deal for his place I feel he will be the odd man out leaving Lance and Checo.

Espresso

rscsr wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 14:49
I don't think that Perez is a classic paydriver. Yes he brings money, but he also is quite quick. And he even has more points than Ocon this season.
Agree.
Perez is a 'sponsored' driver and Ocon an (indirect by Mercedes Engine discount) sponsored driver. No more and no less then almost all other drivers.

They've earned their seat. Team delivered a great tactic and great drive in Spa. Was good to see them grab 18 points.
Really hope Ocon finds another seat in F1. Dude is a good driver. If they keep this up they might have a shot to regain 5th position. That would be an amazing feat.

Reality is now Stroll Sr. is used to buy his Jr. into a good seat (with team-orders). So that saga continues. Lets see how this fans out, cause except for 'secret team orders' they leave the team in pretty good operational condition.

Second option: lifeline for Ocon is Toto's/Mercedes's offer to 'make/develop' RPFI into a B-team.

Also still rumming around is Mazepin Sr with Mazepin Jr.
They are now lining up their laywers 'Debevoise & Plimpton'. Talking about a grudge and jealousy.
Guess (in 2019) we will see Mazepin/Uralkali grab hold the only option left.... 'Williams'. These two need each other.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Espresso

We were on the brink of losing Force India as Formula 1 team. A rehearsed rescue operation brought the necessary help, even though according to Otmar Szafnauer, it was still on the margin. The Romanian, however, is extremely pleased that the team has been rescued and can continue to grow with the new investors.

'' It was close, 'says Szafnauer about the possible bankruptcy of Force India. "Some creditors were already ready claiming their money back through the court to destroy the team. Now we can move forward with the new owners and we will pay all debts that are still open. If that is done, we can continue forward. ''

The rehearsed takeover was a collaboration between Perez and Stroll. A Perez company brought Force India to court, which allowed Lawrence Stroll to purchase the lot. "We will first look at the long term with the new owners. This is now a good team, but we will make some strategic choices to attract new people. In this way we hope to be able to grow further with new resources '', says the new team boss of Racing Point Force India against RaceFans.
Source: [Dutch] https://www.gpblog.com/nl/nieuws/20045/ ... niks-.html
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manjhi

ScottB wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 09:40

Isn't showing off his brands exactly what Vijay came to F1 to do?

Stroll Snr is a talented businessman who has made a stack of cash in his life, while I'm sure, in part, this is intended to be supporting his son, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd spend this much, as well as bring in a bunch of other folk's money, on a project he wasn't taking seriously. I also imagine the Stroll's are pretty keen on F1 in general, given some of his brands have been sponsors on and off for years.
Nope, Vijay was in F1 even before he bought Force India. His company used to sponsor Torro Rosso, if I remember correctly. But once he saw opportunity to buy the Spyker, it was a dream for this guy. He is always a racer by heart.

Stroll is definitely a successful business, but his fashion businesses are result of his efforts with good intention & in right direction i.e. to build a brand and sell good quality clothes. But here he is selling a product named "Lance Stroll" which looks little inconsistent to us and in doing marketing of this product he might just destroy the platform named "Force India". :|

Manjhi

I think RPFI should consider Ocon for the whole 2018 season, as 6th in the constructors is still possible. There are 7 races to go and Mclaren is only 34 points ahead of them. Also I don't think that inefficient team will be able to improve their car from now onwards. Stroll Sr should wait and have some patients before gifting his son FI seat, also it will only create more chaos in the paddock.

IamLegend

Manjhi wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 08:03
ScottB wrote:

Stroll Snr is a talented businessman who has made a stack of cash in his life, while I'm sure, in part, this is intended to be supporting his son, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd spend this much, as well as bring in a bunch of other folk's money, on a project he wasn't taking seriously. I also imagine the Stroll's are pretty keen on F1 in general, given some of his brands have been sponsors on and off for years.
Nope, Vijay was in F1 even before he bought Force India. His company used to sponsor Torro Rosso, if I remember correctly. But once he saw opportunity to buy the Spyker, it was a dream for this guy. He is always a racer by heart.

Stroll is definitely a successful business, but his fashion businesses are result of his efforts with good intention & in right direction i.e. to build a brand and sell good quality clothes. But here he is selling a product named "Lance Stroll" which looks little inconsistent to us and in doing marketing of this product he might just destroy the platform named "Force India". :|
Vijay was sponsoring way before TR, he was also involved with Mclaren at some point, here's a Kingfisher sponsorship on Schumacher's Benetton Renault.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

iotar__

Espresso wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 17:55
rscsr wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 14:49
I don't think that Perez is a classic paydriver. Yes he brings money, but he also is quite quick. And he even has more points than Ocon this season.
Agree.
Perez is a 'sponsored' driver and Ocon an (indirect by Mercedes Engine discount) sponsored driver. No more and no less then almost all other drivers.
Perez got all the podiums and highlights against non pay driver* Hulkenberg and was overall better.
*unless nationality (marketing) counts, it should be IMO, ask Toyota about their driver choices =P~ .

Money or not Force India chose Perez more than Ocon who was simply forced by Wolff.

GTO99

IamLegend wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 15:08
Manjhi wrote:
31 Aug 2018, 08:03
ScottB wrote:

Vijay was sponsoring way before TR, he was also involved with Mclaren at some point, here's a Kingfisher sponsorship on Schumacher's Benetton Renault.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/KYPJ2J/salama ... KYPJ2J.jpg

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/wp-co ... _ITA11.jpg
Ahaaa, I remember that. Wonderful livery!

GTO99

So what is going to be the new team name for next yr.?
Is it going to be renamed to Racing Point F1 Team...and they'll drop the Force India part?

foxmulder_ms

Let's see, next year, whether Perez will be brave enough to hit to the car driven by the owner's son :)

GTO99

Ya, I know.
Perez said he didn't see Ocon's car. Ya right!
Ocon was right beside him.
He's not going to get away with that next year, IF he's still there.

Big Tea

foxmulder_ms wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 21:33
Let's see, next year, whether Perez will be brave enough to hit to the car driven by the owner's son :)
If he can be bothered to wait for him
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

bill shoe

Big Tea wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 12:21
foxmulder_ms wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 21:33
If he can be bothered to wait for him
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But I have a real concern there. Seems safe to say that Perez would be consistently quicker than Stroll in equal equipment. But will that happen?

I think Stroll will get Force India's A-team of Engineers/mechanics/support people. He'll get lots of simulator time. He'll get on-track practice time in 2 year-old cars. There are many ways a team can favor a driver if they want to.

When Stroll won the F3 title he had unprecedented Williams support to Engineer his car, and he got lots of F3-car simulation time in the Williams F1 simulator. Probably lots of private F3 test time (track time) that we never heard about. So it wasn't cheating, but it also wasn't an equal playing field with the F3 drivers he was competing against.

And your first competitor is always your teammate. Think Lawrence Stroll doesn't know that?