Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pimpwerx

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Don't the swan necks also flex more, or in a more-desirable way under load, allowing slightly more aggressive wing angle,because it will be offset by the swan neck bowing a bit under load, on the straights?

atanatizante

This slit on the floor is new? They finally followed what Macca was first done for increasing the vortexes at the end of the car?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

roon

Seems like they should rotate their wastegate support tabs 90*, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Also the crankcase breather is visible in that first photo. The carbon pipe below the left wastgate pipe.

jh199 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 02:39
https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 191202.jpg

Is that a downwash wing in between the two swan neck mounts? Right where the mounts change from smooth black to a carbon weave.
May not necessarily be downwash through that region; more 'neutral,' as a flow straightener/conditioner, in-line with the downward flow present at the front lip of the rear wing. And it's primary function may be as a structural member. Also, might the color change imply that the top half of the supports is painted metal, the lower half CF?

subcritical71

roon wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 20:27
Seems like they should rotate their wastegate support tabs 90*, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Also the crankcase breather is visible in that first photo. The carbon pipe below the left wastgate pipe.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoKoIoAXUAAqPOa.jpg

jh199 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 02:39
https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 191202.jpg

Is that a downwash wing in between the two swan neck mounts? Right where the mounts change from smooth black to a carbon weave.
May not necessarily be downwash through that region; more 'neutral,' as a flow straightener/conditioner, in-line with the downward flow present at the front lip of the rear wing. And it's primary function may be as a structural member. Also, might the color change imply that the top half of the supports is painted metal, the lower half CF?
Is that the FIA mandated engine mic under the left wastegate pipe?

jh199

I wouldn't think that Mercedes would go out of their way to paint the upper half of the supports for livery reasons. So I agree, it must be a different material. But why would that be? Any forces traveling from the wing into the chassis will still need to pass through the carbon so this change must not be for structural reasons. Could the top half be made of a more flexible material that will allow the wing to flex a bit?

Do you mean the small circular device with a bunch of small openings in it towards the bend in the wastegate pipe? Yea, I believe that is the mic you're talking about. Mercedes was experimenting with the mic location earlier in the season and this is the general location they tested. This must just be the final resting spot for it.

cplchanb

Looks like they reverted back to old spec support for the race. Are they intending to introduce it next race and are just getting it signed off by the fia this weekend?

Sierra117

I saw Haas running the double swan. Have they always had it? Only noticed it today.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Just_a_fan

subcritical71 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 23:27

The tube? That's the crank case breather that must now vent at the rear of the car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

subcritical71

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 19:44
subcritical71 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 23:27

The tube? That's the crank case breather that must now vent at the rear of the car.
Sorry I wasn't clear... as jh199 mentioned, the device that is just under the last bend of the wastegate pipe. So it's just under the first few cm's of the horizontal section of the wastegate pipe.

I also saw the same device in a slightly different location on the Toro Rosso (under the main exhaust outlet), so it must be the mic.

zibby43

cplchanb wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 13:58
Looks like they reverted back to old spec support for the race. Are they intending to introduce it next race and are just getting it signed off by the fia this weekend?
The double-pylon setup was only on the max downforce spec wing, not the lower downforce "spoon" wing, which is the wing that was used today.

I imagine Mercedes is aiming to use the new max downforce spec wing with the double-pylon setup in Suzuka.

PlatinumZealot

Interesting set up on the rear brake inlet. It is much bigger than before. Seems they are combining that with the new brake drums to blow them harder to heat the tyres more. More air from the brakes is surely a hotter thing for the wheels!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djones

I wonder if Hamilton will take an engine penalty at the next race?

Oil leaks during the weekend and hesitation in the race.

dren

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 23:51
Interesting set up on the rear brake inlet. It is much bigger than before. Seems they are combining that with the new brake drums to blow them harder to heat the tyres more. More air from the brakes is surely a hotter thing for the wheels!
Wouldn't more air dissipate more heat from both?
Honda!

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 23:51
I think it's generally accepted that they are cooling the rear tyres, not heating them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.