2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

I did hear Vettel say he did not bother trying to keep Hamilton behind him too much because he knew Hamilton had the superior car and he knew it was inevitable that Hamilton would pass him!

If the roles were reversed I am sure any other driver in Vettels position in the WDC would have blocked for all his worth.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Sieper

He already did that. I think the second try by Hamilton Vettel was both a bit caught out and knowing he just made a quite extreme move he could not afford much more, so he had to concede. A determined and well executed move though.

matt_b

foxmulder_ms wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 22:08
GPR-A wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 17:44
PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 17:18

I know you want him to get penalized.. but no.. he didn't. His left front tyre touched the white line on entry to the pit lane, but that is not illegal. Keep searching. :wink:
He did crossed. Here is the official video (at 3:00). :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRCF08PwIU&t=3m0s
Tell us you are joking. :mrgreen:
We're both joking, its actually 3:04 which is where I got that picture in my last post :mrgreen:

djos

Phil wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 14:44
Bottas deserved this one. Those 7 points werent worth it. Very disappointing.
If Bottas grew some balls and got by Max this race would have been his, I think Mercedes was right to move him out of the way as it prevented Vettel from potentially trying something stupid on Hamilton and torpedoing Hamilton's championship.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

JonoNic wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 14:54
I'm hoping that Bottas does a Rosberg like championship season next year.
Bottas is not at the same level as Rosberg was, Rosberg made up his raw speed deficit to Hamilton with exceptional technical abilities and consistent pace.

Bottas also lacks the fighting qualities Rosberg had.

Fwiw I'm not and never was a Rosberg fan, but credit where credit is due.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

doji desu wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 09:55
Pretty much both of the above. I was hoping both RedBulls would go out on HS for the last 10 laps but I think RedBull brought Daniel in first to see whether he could get tge US working with a new front wing. One decent lap then nothing. Based on that I suspect the view was that Ves was unlikely to catch and pass Kimi and they went for a safe tyre choice to the end of the race. Ves also couldn't get the US to do anything special and both RedBulls just stayed where they were and preserved the cars.
It looked to me like the US tires simply weren't capable of being run hard for more than a lap or two before becoming slower than the soft tire.

Btw as impressive as Max scything through the field was, I think Daniel was just as impressive considering he had to race through the field from lap 1 with a big chunk of his right front wing missing. To finish 45 seconds behind Max and 1 place was imo mighty impressive!
"In downforce we trust"

PlatinumZealot

Max sort of did all of that fighting through the field for nothing. There was no way he was catching the leading pack. It was better he saved his engine and slot into his inevitable 5th place. He will grow wiser in time I am sure.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 00:57
Max sort of did all of that fighting through the field for nothing. There was no way he was catching the leading pack. It was better he saved his engine and slot into his inevitable 5th place. He will grow wiser in time I am sure.
At the end yes. If there would have been a safety car somewhere he could have been on the podium.

GrandAxe

djos wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 00:12
JonoNic wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 14:54
I'm hoping that Bottas does a Rosberg like championship season next year.
Bottas is not at the same level as Rosberg was, Rosberg made up his raw speed deficit to Hamilton with exceptional technical abilities and consistent pace.

Bottas also lacks the fighting qualities Rosberg had.

Fwiw I'm not and never was a Rosberg fan, but credit where credit is due.
Bottas lacks Rosberg's fighting qualities and that's about it.

The exceptional technical abilities thing was just nonsense made up by the press. Race data proves that Lewis had far greater technical abilities; he went faster using less fuel, had better tactical placement of the car (e.g. Bahrain 2014), had better tyre life and above all, Nico needed to study Lewis data to improve himself.

zac510

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 00:57
I got the impression that's why RBR didn't pit RIC for a fresh front wing in the first few laps of the race either. Even with a broken one he had the pace for a safe 6th.

komninosm

Fulcrum wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 10:19
komninosm wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 07:33
Fulcrum wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 07:15

I don't want to go too much off topic, but I'll give you two examples before and after Baku.
Remember last race when Rai was leading and Hamilton passed Vettel at the first corners after the start and Vettel wouldn't concede properly and crashed into Hamilton?
Remember several years ago when Vettel and Hamilton were in the pits side by side and Vettel tried to push Hamilton into pit crews instead of giving him space?
Vettel is a dirty driver, remember what he did to Webber?
Vettel and Ferrari were a good match...
Remember last race when Rai was leading and Hamilton passed Vettel at the first corners after the start and Vettel wouldn't concede properly and crashed into Hamilton?
The last race was Singapore, and very little of what you refer to - other than Raikkonen leading for a few laps - actually happened. So I guess you mean Monza? To describe their contact as a 'crash' is, again, pure hyperbole.

Remember several years ago when Vettel and Hamilton were in the pits side by side and Vettel tried to push Hamilton into pit crews instead of giving him space?
You mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEW_9A0z1TU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BPNqKASFRQ

Hamilton didn't seem too concerned.
As far as I'm concerned, I thought it was okay,' said Hamilton. 'The team were waiting for quite some time and they waited until it was the right time; but as I came out I noticed Sebastian was there - he was pushing me a little bit to the right and we pushed wheels. Other than that, it was fair.'
Vettel, meanwhile, felt Hamilton was at fault for the incident. 'At the stop I was ahead; I don't know why he pulled to the left and was keen to touch me,' said the German.
Vettel is a dirty driver, remember what he did to Webber?
Turkey 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx9zIQvrdZU
Vettel's fault for sure. Dirty? No, just stupid.

Malaysia 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU_G4fEpaCQ
Not obeying team orders, but notice it is Webber almost putting Vettel in the wall.

Perhaps you'd like to expand on your list of grievances with Vettel, this is a forum after all.
I don't like omnislashing and I don't have time for wasting about like you so here's a small recap.
You asked for other occurrences and I gave you some.
You gave very poor excuses.
Yes, it was Monza and yes it was a crash. Vettel crashed into Hamilton. He was very lucky not to cause double DNF. Still makes my argument good.
The pit incident is extremely clear and Vettel lies or Hamilton being over it and not wanting to make a fuss over the obvious doesn't change the truth.
You can see in the second video you linked how Vettel veers to the right instead of giving space as he should and the tires making contact. If the cars had spun out it would cause injuries in the pits.
Again Vettel being a dangerous dick.
You even show that Vettel did bad stuff to Webber, you just give excuses and excuses. Vettel was both stupid and dirty. It's clear for all without bias.
I don't like to expand my list of Vettel dirty stupidities. I already told you not to go off topic much. But since you tried to put a lame defense like that, I saw it fit to use your own evidence against your poor case.
Sorry.

komninosm

Ferrari: Do the opposite of Hamilton.
Raikkonen: ...but I cannot see him!
https://youtu.be/94rtunPKmHw?t=104

Someone said they did this to keep their pit crew out to bother Hamilton's exit. Was Ferrari crew still out when Hamilton exit his pit box?

Sieper

matt_b wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 23:45
foxmulder_ms wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 22:08
GPR-A wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 17:44
He did crossed. Here is the official video (at 3:00). :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRCF08PwIU&t=3m0s
Tell us you are joking. :mrgreen:
We're both joking, its actually 3:04 which is where I got that picture in my last post :mrgreen:
this is no joke, this is just a still where he has 2 wheels over the line but if you see the actual moving images you can see that at some point even all 4 wheels pass this line, track limits! The suggestion that he should have just continued on and hit the wall as made by another forummer is also highly illegal, for that to happen he would have had to pass that other white line (with at least 2 wheels) which is also out of bounds. No, it was immediately clear to me that what he should have done is just stop the car before passing the line and wait for the VSB Sochi circuit crew to either remove it or paint it over in dark gray/asphalt coloured paint before continuing onwards. The fact that some do not take this seriously but see it as humor is beyond me.
Last edited by Sieper on 02 Oct 2018, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

bosyber

Sieper wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 23:40
He already did that. I think the second try by Hamilton Vettel was both a bit caught out and knowing he just made a quite extreme move he could not afford much more, so he had to concede. A determined and well executed move though.
And also, apparently (ie. AMuS), Vettel had used up all of his battery power to do those fast laps to get ahead of Hamilton, and then to fight him the first time; when Hamilton went again, he didn't have much left to give there, and probably knew he had been quite close to too harsh in defending before.

Sieper

ahhaa, good input, yes, that will have left him without much options.