Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
M840TR

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Big Tea wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:09
Blaze1 wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 18:37
Isn't that exactly what all the differentials up and down the grid have been doing for a very long time now?
I believe so, is that not 'steering' (assist) with the rear wheels?
Well it wouldn't steer the wheels though, so no.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 17:17
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 00:57
Erm... that's just an article from a Journo. Are you new here? haha.
But seriously though, there are easier ways to cool the rim.
Prove it's for heating the tyres if you're so sure..
:roll:
Blistering and Graining has been Mercedes and most other teams real problem this year. Two opposing effects. One from to hot a tyre surface the other from cold abrading of the surface. The teams generally want to have the bulk temperature of the tyre in the working zone instead of too hot or too cold the surface of the tyre. The use tyre blankets, the adjust the suspension geomtery, they use different tyre pressures.. to gain and maintain temperature mostly.. but do it too aggressively and you end up blistering... get it wrong and you get graining.

In my estimations increasing the contribution of the brakes to heat the tyres and do it in a controlled way, allows you a fairly low risk heat source and gives you the opportunity to dial back the aggressive suspension settings on the car. Now you have less blistering and graining risk.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Big Tea wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 17:41
So anyone know for sure 'split torque' is not legal?
Driving the outside wheel more than the inside wheel could be a considerable advantage on tight corners, not sure about in general though
That is exactly the function of the adjustable diffrentials for decades now. :wink:
The drivers adjust the locking percent to "loosen" or "tighten" the differential. Driving the outer wheel more or both wheels evenly. Driving outer wheel more give more rotation in the corner, driving both wheels evenly gives more positive drive out of the corner. I haven't even mentioned the effects on corner entry... This is from an armchair point of view by the way. I have never driven a car with adjustable differential before.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

What a picture. Looking from the top down makes the bargeboard area look so much more complex than I thought it was.
Felipe Baby!

Big Tea

PZ
That is exactly the function of the adjustable diffrentials for decades now. :wink:
The drivers adjust the locking percent to "loosen" or "tighten" the differential. Driving the outer wheel more or both wheels evenly. Driving outer wheel more give more rotation in the corner, driving both wheels evenly gives more positive drive out of the corner. I haven't even mentioned the effects on corner entry... This is from an armchair point of view by the way. I have never driven a car with adjustable differential before.

What I am saying is that the article in just-a-fan;s post (P80) about Merc using the gearbox for 'steering' is probably correct, but nothing new.

Opps, messed up the quote, sorry
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djones

Has there been any information on the PU Hamilton used last race?

Leaking oil all weekend and multiple hesitations in power delivery.

subcritical71

djones wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 15:31

I read after the race Toto said the engine was fine. I think the leaking oil was from the relocation of the crankcase breather pipe, wasn't it?

zibby43

djones wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 15:31

In the post-race debrief, Shovlin said all is well and that “hesitations” have to do with engine mapping.

Sierra117

From FP3 hopefully the airflow from the front wing is a bit visible

NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

dans79

Anyone have any theories as to how Merc took such a massive step forward?
197 104 103 7

mantikos

Sierra117 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 05:28
From FP3 hopefully the airflow from the front wing is a bit visible

https://i.imgur.com/rQxpI7j.png
Do you have a video instead?

subcritical71

dans79 wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 21:10
Better tyre management and therefore more options on strategy(?) Ever since the heater/cooler fins on the wheel rim showed up they haven't had the dramatic falloff of performance during the race.

LM10

subcritical71 wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 21:25
dans79 wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 21:10
Better tyre management and therefore more options on strategy(?) Ever since the heater/cooler fins on the wheel rim showed up they haven't had the dramatic falloff of performance during the race.
Better tyre management did not give them the edge on one lap pace (despite their tyre management got better as well). Mercedes is the fastest car on slow corner parts at the moment and at the same time I don’t remember them having any problems at starts such as spinning wheels in recent races. So something gave them much better traction and that’s the big improve they made.
Better traction and better tyre management are two things influencing each other in a positive way anyway.

bosyber

The improved traction out of slow corners is what they keep saying is something they learned after the Spa race debrief on where they were losing that and how to improve. Not sure whether set up or suspension tweak, but from that I'd guess something in setup?

SiLo

It was a suspension change in Spa, and then what they learned from the Spa race helped them solve their issues. I think Toto is quoted as saying that.

It also ties in with Ferrari having tyre issues and having to turn down their engines to make them last the season, whilst Merc are able to continue to run their engines in higher modes for longer.
Felipe Baby!