2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 18:56
RonDennis wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 17:51
M840TR wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 17:25

Tost said they'll buy everything they can from Redbull. So both suspensions, transmission, packaging, fuel and the general aero will be effected by this as well like Haas. We should expect a reasonably competitive Toro Rosso next year.
Jup, they really should do something about that rule, it sucks.
I agree, it should be allowed for brand new entrants, and even that should be for a specific nbr of seasons. Everyone should build their car or buy the listed parts from an independent supplier, not a competing team.
I mean, transmission I understanding. But both suspensions AND packaging? Kinda ridiculous. I think Haas even uses Ferrari's wind tunnel.

charliesmithhd

Maybe mclaren chose more harder tyres to test out 2019 components in practise

Jolle

M840TR wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 19:17
Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

I agree, it should be allowed for brand new entrants, and even that should be for a specific nbr of seasons. Everyone should build their car or buy the listed parts from an independent supplier, not a competing team.
I mean, transmission I understanding. But both suspensions AND packaging? Kinda ridiculous. I think Haas even uses Ferrari's wind tunnel.
It's difficult to judge what can or what can't be bought from elsewhere, or made in a different factory. I think now the rule is that you have to own the IP to the chassis. HAAS designs but they they let Dalara manufacture it. But all teams buy their wheels from somewhere, most of them buy/lease gearboxes from others, the hole PU of course.. where to draw the line? Just whisbones? but the damper you can source from elsewhere? Software and ECU comes from McLaren anyway. Isn't what HAAS and STR doing not just smart? or maybe, could McLaren for instance see it as a opportunity and sell parts like gearboxes or suspension elements to other teams and make a bit of money that way, in which they are in need (their last financial report stated that they are selling off around 25% of their heritage collection smaller the gap Honda left). Isn't supplying high tech companies with high tech solutions one of the businesses of McLaren?

M840TR

Jolle wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 19:39
M840TR wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 19:17
Ground Effect wrote:

It's difficult to judge what can or what can't be bought from elsewhere, or made in a different factory. I think now the rule is that you have to own the IP to the chassis. HAAS designs but they they let Dalara manufacture it. But all teams buy their wheels from somewhere, most of them buy/lease gearboxes from others, the hole PU of course.. where to draw the line? Just whisbones? but the damper you can source from elsewhere? Software and ECU comes from McLaren anyway. Isn't what HAAS and STR doing not just smart? or maybe, could McLaren for instance see it as a opportunity and sell parts like gearboxes or suspension elements to other teams and make a bit of money that way, in which they are in need (their last financial report stated that they are selling off around 25% of their heritage collection smaller the gap Honda left). Isn't supplying high tech companies with high tech solutions one of the businesses of McLaren?
Transmission is engine specific so extra R&D costs would negate any profit made. Rear suspension, transmission and packaging are closely linked so their needs to be synchronicity. Even though technically possible, buying it from a constructor is more viable.
MAT handles the high tech supply side of business anyway and it's not to direct competitors.

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 17:12
diffuser wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 16:41
Jolle wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 16:32

Well, depends. If they think they can pass McLaren in the constructors championship because of holding back Key....
in 2019 ? You do know that they stop working on the 2018 car around Barcelona right ?
Well, you know Toro Rosso is going to be Red Bull's b-team next year, because they will both run the same engines, which means they will be sharing many parts.
That's a good reason to keep James Key away. I bet you Newey had been working with Key on the development of the PU fitting.

Jackles-UK

Key is planned for a big push as soon as they can nail him down. If they were able to get in Key before the end of this season (which, for the record, I don’t think they can) they should 100% do it as soon as they can to help him settle into the new team and put measures/procedures in place ready for that big push, maybe in 2020 but more likely 2021.

Familiarity breeds stability.
Stability breeds confidence.
Confidence breeds progress.

It’s the same in all industries, not just F1. How many top heads have left Mercedes in the past 5-6 years? It’s no coincidence that they set the bar at the moment in terms of what a team can accomplish and the rock solid stability and trust in one another has been mentioned by Hamilton and Toto as a key factor as to the way they go about things.

KingHamilton01

Jackles-UK wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 02:14
Key is planned for a big push as soon as they can nail him down. If they were able to get in Key before the end of this season (which, for the record, I don’t think they can) they should 100% do it as soon as they can to help him settle into the new team and put measures/procedures in place ready for that big push, maybe in 2020 but more likely 2021.

Familiarity breeds stability.
Stability breeds confidence.
Confidence breeds progress.

It’s the same in all industries, not just F1. How many top heads have left Mercedes in the past 5-6 years? It’s no coincidence that they set the bar at the moment in terms of what a team can accomplish and the rock solid stability and trust in one another has been mentioned by Hamilton and Toto as a key factor as to the way they go about things.
Which is exactly why people need to realise McLaren still need time to find themselves again, sure they will try and hire more new staff to.
McLaren Mercedes

ispano6

Jolle wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 16:48
diffuser wrote:
Jolle wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 16:32

Well, depends. If they think they can pass McLaren in the constructors championship because of holding back Key....
in 2019 ? You do know that they stop working on the 2018 car around Barcelona right ?
Yes, for 2019. The more you can disrupt the development of your competitors, the more chance you have against them
That is what McLaren did this year to STR to destabilize them and render their developments meaningless. So an eye for an eye. What, Zak didn't think STR would just let Key go, did he? That they announced his signing pissed off Redbull, and this is their response. Key likely won't be involved in the 2019 a-spec chassis, maybe the b-spec.

ispano6

Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
M840TR wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 17:25

Tost said they'll buy everything they can from Redbull. So both suspensions, transmission, packaging, fuel and the general aero will be effected by this as well like Haas. We should expect a reasonably competitive Toro Rosso next year.
Same could be said about PUs. It's not like STR started this trend, blame Ferrari. What you are suggesting is that small teams eventually have to become winning teams with huge RD budgets, so that goes counter to lower costs. But let's be serious, F1 has always been that the more resources you are willing to spend, the higher the results. Ironic that McLaren fans here are complaining about new entry teams and how they should be limited. Sounds to me like a has-been company that no longer has much of a technological advantage. Maybe McLaren ought to buy a customer chassis until they get their ducks in order.

mclaren111

ispano6 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 08:07
Jolle wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 16:48
diffuser wrote:

Yes, for 2019. The more you can disrupt the development of your competitors, the more chance you have against them
That is what McLaren did this year to STR to destabilize them and render their developments meaningless. So an eye for an eye. What, Zak didn't think STR would just let Key go, did he? That they announced his signing pissed off Redbull, and this is their response. Key likely won't be involved in the 2019 a-spec chassis, maybe the b-spec.

Only 2020... JK will spend first few months doing an "audit" of current situation / structure and implement changes as required. For me, this is the most critical area to address first. Maybe some of that is happening already....

I'm sure Pat Fry was hired with JK's approval since it is such a critical position.

Then only will he look / evaluate MCL34 and decide future development with an eye on MCL35.

mclaren111

McG

mclaren111 wrote:
11 Oct 2018, 16:35
Mclaren:

MCL34

https://t.co/buGzZeYJuc
Very basic information but good to know the MCL34 has "many thousands of hours’ development" already.
F1 is dead.

diffuser

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/2960 ... t-ferrari/

Wouldn't that be interesting, even if it was just for the remainder of the year .....

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 20:55

Wouldn't that be interesting, even if it was just for the remainder of the year .....
If the Ferrari management were as ruthless in sacking people as it used to be, it could happen. But maybe it's too good to be true.

RonDennis

diffuser wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 20:55

3,582 have signed, wow that's impressive. :lol:

People should have some more respect for Vettel. The only thing Ferrari is missing is Jean Todt.