2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

Max is Max. He might be champion one day but he will never be graceful champion like Lewis or Mika. I put him in another category.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

ringo

zeph wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 04:34
dans79 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 03:36
I get the feeling there is more to come on this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av1dH_ik8EU
Verstappen is an entitled little brat. Without Ricciardo there to keep him honest, I fear he will go full-on diva mode next season.

My best guess is he will cut somebody off one too many times and ruin his own chances for a victory or even the WDC.
Gasly may just humble him.

By the way about the race..

Lewis mercedes engine was one lap away from failure, how cool is that?
Makes the WCC even more special.
I am not sure which unit was in the car, or what was about to fail on it, but the team gave him some settings to manage it. Totto said everything let loose after crossing the line, but he didn't elaborate on it.
For Sure!!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sierra117

cooken wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 03:23
Oof. Massively clumsy by both.
Ocon probably shouldn't have got involved, but he also shouldn't have to sacrifice his own race just because he comes out behind a leader who is slower.

But...regardless of what feels right or wrong, it is ultimately the written rules that govern such instances, and per those rules I don't understand how Ocon gets a penalty. If the stewards decision was really "he couldn't make it stick in T1 so should have given way into T2 because it was the leader", well where do the rules say anything about that?? Only thing I can figure is that as soon as Ocon gets his nose ahead into T1, he immediately becomes a backmarker and is now subject to blue flags again and not allowed to impede. Tough situation, just super awkward.

Ultimately though...if Verstappen let's him past he still easily wins the race. So from that perspective he should only be blaming himself. The best thing anyone can do in a bad situation is focus on their own portion of responsibility, which is difficult to do but is the best thing for warding off bitterness and anger.
It reminds me of what we learn in driving classes - "you have to watch out for others' mistakes". And that seems to be true in what Lewis said as well - you have to always make sure there's room. As we know, Max got in F1 before any driving classes, so I suppose it's a completely different mindframe he has. Imagine if this were several decades back when there were all these unspoken, gentlemen's rules in racing instead of the written-rules we have today.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

bill shoe

Wynters wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 02:43
Another bundle of points thrown away. Max could've been Hamilton's main title contender this year if he'd only avoided all these senseless errors :(
Yes, it's amazing but true. If Hamilton had driven 2018 with as many unforced errors as Max, and Max drove 2018 with the no-drama consistency of Hamilton, then Max would either be champion or would be taking it to Seb in the last race.(Renault power and all).

Most obvious example was at Baku, the way Max raced Ricciardo and crashed out. Max was racing to not let Ricciardo get in front of him rather than racing to win a championship. Max "succeeded".

zibby43

Sierra117 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 23:34
@Edax: Mercs were running older and turned down engines, especially Bottas. Vettel had sensor issues and bad setup.
What specification of the PU did Merc run on their cars?

And what was your source for that info. (not questioning you, just found it interesting/useful information)?

Thanks!

JordanMugen

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 05:30
Max is Max. He might be champion one day but he will never be graceful champion like Lewis or Mika. I put him in another category.
In the category with Mr. Schumacher? :wink: >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91JoW4mSiZo

Sierra117

zibby43 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 07:56
Sierra117 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 23:34
@Edax: Mercs were running older and turned down engines, especially Bottas. Vettel had sensor issues and bad setup.
What specification of the PU did Merc run on their cars?

And what was your source for that info. (not questioning you, just found it interesting/useful information)?

Thanks!
From what I remember, Bottas was running an older Spec (2?) since the oil leak scare. But it was also significantly turned down. Hamilton I'm not sure if he was running an older engine or not, but definitely turned all the way down as well for most of the race, if not the full thing. Bottas mentioned his engine being an older spec in his paddock interview (with Rachel?).
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

hollus

ringo wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 05:32
zeph wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 04:34
dans79 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 03:36
I get the feeling there is more to come on this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av1dH_ik8EU
Verstappen is an entitled little brat. Without Ricciardo there to keep him honest, I fear he will go full-on diva mode next season.

My best guess is he will cut somebody off one too many times and ruin his own chances for a victory or even the WDC.
Gasly may just humble him.

By the way about the race..

Lewis mercedes engine was one lap away from failure, how cool is that?
Makes the WCC even more special.
I am not sure which unit was in the car, or what was about to fail on it, but the team gave him some settings to manage it. Totto said everything let loose after crossing the line, but he didn't elaborate on it.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/11/ham ... m-failure/
“They said ‘well, our exhaust is just about to fail’ and we’re over-shooting all the temperature limits as to what’s to fix and so they started to fix it turning the whole thing down. And then the stage temperatures went down to below a thousand, 980, but it’s still too high. Then he recovered another lap. That was truly horrible.”
But I guess facts proved that it was not really a lap from failure.
Rivals, not enemies.

Sierra117

BTW can we all just take a moment and appreciate Lewis finally winning a race after the WDC has been won? xD
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

turbof1

Sierra117 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 09:03
BTW can we all just take a moment and appreciate Lewis finally winning a race after the WDC has been won? xD
Oh that's a nice statistic.
#AeroFrodo

Sierra117

turbof1 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 09:05
Sierra117 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 09:03
Oh that's a nice statistic.
And it only took him 5 titles (9-10 years since his first championship o_O) 😂😂
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

ispano6

dans79 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 05:07
ispano6 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 05:00
Ocon tangles a lot with others, his driving is immature, hence why he has no drive next year. He's now just taking out his frustration. He doesn't realize when it's him who's supposed to back down
Lol, this is the most absurd thing I've read here in quite a while!
Might not be so absurd if you go back and fact check the number of races he's had an incident with another car? No doubt he's talented, but he's also made some bad decisions on several occasions. Ocon was no where near battling for points. That he didn't have the presence of mind to cede to a front running car speaks volumes. At least it does to this matured, level headed fan of three decades.

yelistener

Lewis Pole vs Vettel P2 onboard (using Juzh's clips)

Mercedes chose a lower gear through turn 1 & 4.

Last edited by yelistener on 12 Nov 2018, 09:40, edited 2 times in total.

turbof1

yelistener wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 09:25
Lewis Pole vs Vettel P2 onboard (using Juzh's clips)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viRhuquIKjw
That was a very interesting watch. Something I noticed: they were still very nearly neck to neck at the end of the lap. Hamilton was a little bit in front, while Vettel had a small speed advantage:
But if you roll the video pass that to the finish, you'll notice that Hamilton stuck to the inside of the corner, while Vettel went closer to the outside of the corner. Hamilton therefore had to traverse less distance than Vettel did. It's a smart move from Hamilton; if Vettel did the same he might have had it.
#AeroFrodo