2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
foxmulder_ms

Re: 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

Alexf1 wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 20:07
foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 18:59
Obvious question: Why do you defend against an unlapping car? What is the point? I can only answer it by superiority complex fed by marketing people :)
Because it's a faster Force India with a temporary tyre advantage. Not a Ferrari or Mercedes
I fixed it for you :p

NathanOlder

If it were a Mercedes or Ferrari it would probably make more sense to defend :lol:

Its purely down to it being ocon. Amd Max holds a grudge as Ocon beat him in equal cars 4 years ago. Max can't handle that. I hope they are somehow close to each other in the final race .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

This topic is sadly a great example of the plain disregard and disinterest for what happens outside the top6.

And no, i’m no great example either, sadly, eventhough the racing in the midfield is probably 10 times better than what we get fed by the guys at the front.

Did anyone even notice the battle between Sainz and Hulkenberg earlier in the race?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Alexf1

santos wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 22:01
Alexf1 wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 20:07
foxmulder_ms wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 18:59
Obvious question: Why do you defend against an unlapping car? What is the point? I can only answer it by superiority complex fed by marketing people :)
Because it's a slower Force India with a temporary tyre advantage. Not a Ferrari or Mercedes
If it is temporary, then there was blue flags for Ocon. Ocon had the right and even moral for unlap himself. And let me tell you, i wanted Max to win and maybe the constructor title would be decided at the last race.
Ocon was penalized because it Max and he was leading the race. If it was Ericson and Stroll, no one would care. And it would be a "race incident".
But blue flags were already there for Ocon at inside of T1, he didn't obay those and still pushed through at T2. What makes me think he would take his time later too.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1061912272044523521

Just_a_fan

TwanV wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 17:23
This is about the only driver that is giving support to Ocon here out of all reactions, both current and former drivers, is Hamilton, the only one to benefit. This is observed by Jolyon Palmer and I agree with him, he will be biased on this matter.
Which other drivers, current and former, have ventured an opinion? Palmer was never much of a driver and is now a pundit with column inches to write. He admitted being hit by a backmarker and getting all angry about it so that kind of puts him in the Max camp - but without his speed, it seems, which is why he's a pundit and not still racing in F1.

And all Hamilton said to Max that he had more to lose than Ocon did. Which is true, no matter how you cut it. Max should have just let him go. That was the sensible thing to do. It's not about who's right etc., but about who maximises the results and gets the rewards. Max chose to tango and got egg on his face. It's his fault that he chose to do that. No one made him get all elbows out with Ocon. No one would have said a bad word about him had he just let him go - on the contrary, we'd all be saying "he's maturing - look how he let Ocon go, not like the old Max". Now we're saying "oh look, Max is still petulant and unable to see the big picture".

Hey, the only one who lost out was Max. The only one who can learn from this is Max. Will he? We'll see.

Max has tried to make a reputation for himself as being hard to race next to - done, no doubt, to make others scared of him and so make it easier to attack/defend against others. He tried to do the same here and misjudged the situation. He lost out. A good driver learns from these situations. Let's see whether Max learns or not.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Alexf1 wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 23:08

But blue flags were already there for Ocon at inside of T1, he didn't obay those and still pushed through at T2. What makes me think he would take his time later too.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1061912272044523521
That blue flag is the general warning to drivers that someone is close and possibly overtaking. It wasn't a blue flag to Ocon.Indeed, as Ocon was at that point faster than Max and coming around the outside, that blue was more for Max's benefit than Ocon's.

Alexf1

So a blue flag for the race leader?

NathanOlder

The blue flag was probably for Ocon, but nothing to do with Max at all.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Big Tea

Alexf1 wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 23:27
So a blue flag for the race leader?
The blue flag just means there is a car behind you that may be about to overtake. Nothing more until it is waved, so yes, the race leader should receive it if it is required.

It should have happened to Hamilton when Sirotkin passed in quali.
Last edited by Big Tea on 13 Nov 2018, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

blue flags at pit exit are also to warn cars exiting the pits that a car at speed is passing by pit exit.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

A blue flag says "be careful, a faster car is approaching / alongside". It's not aimed at a leader or a backmarker, it's aimed at the slower driver in the situation in order to prevent them doing something silly like, perhaps, driving across the nose of the quicker car. You'll see blue lights flashing for battles for the lead, for battles in the midfield and for situations where the leaders are lapping backmarkers. You'll also see them for situations where a lapped driver is unlapping himself.

Blue flags don't just belong to the guys at the front of the grid.

NathanOlder

Blue flags are also waved by Manchester City fans.

Sorry couldn't resist
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

strad

Why do cars receive DRS on cars that have been lapped?
Thank You;
This brings up something that has been on my mind for some time now.
Let's say I am running in first place (just to simplify the example) and the guy in second place is on my tail and in position to use his DRS to pass me. Why should I be able to use the fact I am within 1 second of a driver a lap or even two down to use my DRS to defend from the second place car on my tail and using his. Kinda defeats the purpose of the whole DRS thing. I'm not using it to pass but rather to keep from being passed. The guy in front of me isn't even really involved except in this case as a spoiler.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 23:21
Max has tried to make a reputation for himself as being hard to race next to - done, no doubt, to make others scared of him and so make it easier to attack/defend against others.
his "hard" reputation is a house of cards though. Look what happened to Max when he tried to pass Hamilton in China this year. Lewis gave him a little jink and Max jumped out of the way and off the track.
197 104 103 7

Alexf1

Just saw this one:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1061954791734157313
Now I onderstand how Ocon managed to make up 0.5 that lap: DRS+overtake mode vs no DRS and cruise mode