Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shrieker

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

I dig.

Very nice color scheme, deffo an improvement - apart from the 'many starlets' interpretation on the engine cover (not a deal breaker by any means tho). Silver halo is as it should've been all along.

On track, it looks like a festival to me eyes.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

motobaleno

GPR -A wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 16:52
Sorry for the crude work (obviously not an expert). Took an image from the following link and done some silly work.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzSjJisX4AAx0CZ.jpg

A comparison of RB15 Vs W10 rear. RB15 have packaged the PU ancillaries in a vertical fashion, whereas W10 has gone slightly horizontal, but seems like more compact. Look at the empty floor area and open space inside the rear wing. There is more space open on W10 than RB15 (may be because RB15 has relatively shorter wheel base?).

https://i.imgur.com/MYj1dKi.png
quite interesting
you should post it also in RB15 3d

atanatizante

These are my thoughts about the W10 launch spec car:

1. Bulky and maybe sculped nose front end at the front of driver survival cell structure;
2. There are 3 rows of floor slits in front of those 9-11 angled slits placed in front of the rear tyre and 2 more big slits in the front part of the floor;
3. T-wing seem longer and it has a shape like Toro Rosso`s last year it had;
4. Even more developed rear rims (now they changed them to OZ racing or they did it last year?);
5. Cape and middle bulge vane have placed in a very intricate area leading to a big development scope for this year;
6. Wastegates pipes are below the exhaust pipe;
7. At the film day shakedown, they retained those 4 small pitot tubes in front of the rear tyres;
8. Mirrors moved a lot more forward;
9. Higher upper wishbones both front and rear than last year;
10. Lower front wishbone suspension angled for a downwash airflow towards the lower part of the sidepods;
11. Lower arm and the higher rear wishbone are interconnected now in order to have just one structure;
12. Upper sidepods turning vane placed lower and the side part of it get inwards angled and pointed for more aggressive airflow towards the coke bottle area;
13. Engine air intake area increased but the lower and upper structure parts now seem to be much flatter (not rounded like last year) may be in order to generate some DF;
14. Sidepods air intake area is also increased but the whole structure got narrower than last year. Having both air intakes increased in surface area hints at bigger cooling requirements hence power output increased, which is in line with the new 2019 PU and what Andy Cowell said;
15. The end part of the sidepods is having a slope with angled downwash (last year was just forward downwash), a trend that RB set it last year and followed also by Toro Rosso this year;
16. There are 2 “horizontal flaps” near the sidepods air intake: one hiding the crash structure tube and the other one supporting the lateral turning vane. Those two and the lower “snow plough” vane showed in the teaser are acting together in order to create a downwash airflow towards the rear of the car (please give more feedback from you guys with better aerodynamics knowledge!)
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

KingHamilton01

super impressed with this car on first view, there is a lot of detail in this car! once you take a look you can see look's of little secrets that I am sure the other teams will talk about. Very aggressive aero package straight out the box, this for me has to be the benchline so far although still got McLaren and Ferrari to come.
McLaren Mercedes

michl420

Some strange front pushrod mounting at the wheel carrier side. (pictures from the real car)

dans79

197 104 103 7

f1rules

Its offcourse difficult to judge but i thinks its to do with wheelbase merc kept theirs and it look like rb did the same which makes the merc significantly longer
GPR -A wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 16:52
Sorry for the crude work (obviously not an expert). Took an image from the following link and done some silly work.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzSjJisX4AAx0CZ.jpg

A comparison of RB15 Vs W10 rear. RB15 have packaged the PU ancillaries in a vertical fashion, whereas W10 has gone slightly horizontal, but seems like more compact. Look at the empty floor area and open space inside the rear wing. There is more space open on W10 than RB15 (may be because RB15 has relatively shorter wheel base?).

https://i.imgur.com/MYj1dKi.png

ReoPTy

Looks like a W09 adapted to 2019's aero rules ...

GrandAxe

F1Krof wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 16:30
https://snag.gy/2GSsAl.jpg

Kind of this area looks raised? Or it is just an illusion?

Btw, the livery resounds to that of W01, I just hope it doesn't drive like it.
Judging from other pics, it isn't.
That particular photo got me too - I initially thought the very area you highlighted was asymmetrical from left to right. But the way the photo was shot seems to throw up shadows and reflections that deceive the eye, especially as the car is very slightly angled to the left.

jo poudrier

interesting to me is how high the lower horizontal wing is attached to the endplate on the front wing.

it is very clear to see on the shakedown picture.

it seems to be the only car like that so far?

(and y know very bad english writing aptitude...)

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dans79

That front wing is high!

197 104 103 7

Phillyred

Can we tell if they are using the special rims they did last year for tire wear/management??

LM10

dans79 wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 19:09
That front wing is high!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLj3Ch9RavY
Yes, the height of this front wing stunned me too!

Looking at the rest of the video.. so on one hand we have Ocon who claims that they are close, but not yet on the downforce level of 2018 and on the other hand we have RBR who claimed 2-3 months ago that they already were at the level of last year?