Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

At first glance I thought the push rod was connected to the L shaped winglet #-o

subcritical71

Seems that week one was concentrated on sorting the mechanical grip of the car and the second week will be getting the aero sorted. Seems like a good plan to me.

GPR-A

javspace wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 16:43
Bottas stops on circuit. Maybe due to tighter packaging
After having done 83 laps, may be it didn't like the lunch in the garage!

Mr.G

w1Y wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 14:55
I think people are forgetting that Alison said the goodies were coming this week. This was planned. A decision at some point was made to have extra days in the wind tunnel. Maybe it just wasn't ready though.

The one question I have is why have a completely different end plate of the front wing. Was that just to throw some misdirection out?
I don't buy that one more week in tunnel excuse. Isn't the wind tunnel time limited? Even if it's not they can run the tunnel even now, doesn't much change. The floor is modular (they can attach smaller bits). They don't wait five more days with the parts and then started to create them...

I don't say this wasn't planned (it obviously was), I just don't buy they did that for more time in tunnel... They don't bake the parts at once in one autoclave...

Edit - for example new nose. They did more of them just for crash testing, they must have it done far in advance...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

mkay

lio007 wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 17:05
:shock: oh oh...

EDIT: hm...just realised that the post with the fire-on-the-floor-picture is removed. Why?
It was a photo of the W08 (the 2017 car)!

aral

I have had to remove a number of posts on this thread as they were off topic. Please try and stay on the actual topic. There is a team thread for team talk. There is also a seperate thread for discussing pre season testing. Please use it !

Just_a_fan

TwanV wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 15:54
Mercedes have said so many things in the past that everybody is totally confused now. Bottas last week said they have "major issues" in some corners. I don't think he has any reason to lie, normally Mercedes say "all ok, testing program is more important than times." There's something going on, doesn't smell like fear, more like actual truth? :lol: I know it sounds weird.
Last week's car wasn't the actual 2019 car so it's no surprise they had "issues" or that they were seen as being behind Ferrari.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Coefficient

pantherxxx wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 16:12
Coefficient wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 16:07
KnottyBwoy wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 15:47

Fear from people who doesn't like mercedes and ham to succeed this year...they're rattled now after seeing merc's real car and starting to make themselves feel better even if it's hard to.They were so happy when they thought merc is in trouble after last week's test.In the end...they were fooled by merc.watch.
Highly unlikely they knocked up this new aero package over the weekend motivated by fear of the Ferrari concept. They've done a lot of work on the cooling solutions for the engine so I think they decided to run a conservative aero package to guarantee interruption free running of the power unit in week one. The added benefit of this is the extra week of development time for the new package meaning these new parts were just gently browning in the autoclave last week, ready for today.
How would a more aggressive aero package "interrupt" running of the power unit?
Well, there may be concerns that the optimum aero configuration is marginal on cooling so if they planned to prove the durability of the mechanical aspects of the car during week one as I suspect, it makes perfect sense to have an aero kit that offers ample cooling during that process. They now know they can run reliably so can start to push the boundaries with the engine cover and so on, which they are.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Wynters

Autosport commentary on the update package

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHJ07PQJRFM

Just_a_fan

Wynters wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 18:08

5 minutes of my life I won't get back. That video is a waste of time, to be honest. You'll get more from reading posts on here.

Not having a go at you, by the way, just the Autosport stuff these days is pretty hand-wavy guff mostly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Coefficient

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 18:26
Wynters wrote:

5 minutes of my life I won't get back. That video is a waste of time, to be honest. You'll get more from reading posts on here.

Not having a go at you, by the way, just the Autosport stuff these days is pretty hand-wavy guff mostly.
There is an interesting nugget in that video where they state that there are in the region of 1500 components in the update which I think settles the debate as to whether this was planned or panic driven.

SectorOne

I think i just realized i may have a fetish for tight sidepods..
Absolutely brutal packaging done here by Mercedes.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Sieper

Coefficient wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 18:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 18:26
Wynters wrote:

There is an interesting nugget in that video where they state that there are in the region of 1500 components in the update which I think settles the debate as to whether this was planned or panic driven.
Anything between lets say 1499 and 1501 parts must be panic driven. Ofcourse it is not panic driven, it is a major aero update via which every part of the car is updated, even the cooling apparatuses must have been repacked for that sidepod shrinking. This was in the works for some time, they just weren't able to have it ready for the first week.

Coefficient

SectorOne wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 18:37
I think i just realized i may have a fetish for tight sidepods..
Absolutely brutal packaging done here by Mercedes.
Yeah, at this rate next it'll just have an empty floor with Lewis' lunch box fastened to it.