2019 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 29 - 31

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mzso
mzso

Re: 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 29 - 31

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:14
I meant Max's incident in T2 where he turned in on another car. It was quite widely discussed at the time. You may remember it.
If you mean the Ocon incident I agree that was a similarly stupid move from Verstappen. Aggravated by the fact that there was zero reason to challenge Ocon.

zibby43
zibby43

zeph wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:02
zibby43 wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:08
Bill_Kar wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 13:19

Well, if leclerc's problem was a misfire and not something fundamentally wrong, then there is a problem as he was always out of Hamilton's reach.
The thing that is interesting to me re: the narrative of Ferrari's straight-line advantage in Bahrain qualifying is that everyone was using the LEC/HAM telemetry overlays to demonstrate the gap.

However, that straight-line advantage really didn't translate for Vettel, who just shaded Hamilton/Bottas in qualifying.

And then, in the race, Hamilton was able to stay close to Vettel, even when HAM was on those awful Softs, and then had the pace to really attack and blow by Vettel on the Mediums.

Then you have the phonometric analysis that was conducted at Bahrain that put Mercedes and Ferrari at nearly level, with Merc maybe having a slight edge with respect to the endothermic engine.

Was LEC running less wing than VET, HAM, and BOT?
I don’t find reasonable explanations very interesting, so I’m going full-on conspiracy and say Ferrari secretly gave Leclerc a quicker car to make this season more sensational. :wink:
lol! Gave me a good chuckle. I will say one thing, LEC's maturity and composure after the race was really special. Heck of a kid.

mzso
mzso

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:17
mzso wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:02
nacho wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 21:55
If you compare to the line that the Merc in front, Sainz brakes early and moves to the right so much earlier.
Jeez. This doesn't even make grammatical sense.
It makes sense to those English speakers who are used to dealing with non-English speakers.
By all means translate then.
(Though I feel like it'll mostly be conjecture.)

zibby43
zibby43

Harvester wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:03
Thats right. After vettel overtook Hamilton, he almost regained position the next lap and was able to stay very close to vettel for some time.
There could be different reasons for that. It can be that after vettel overtook Hamilton they turned down his pu a little bit. Maybe that can be checked by watching onboard.
Would've been fascinating to see what would've happened if Vettel didn't have the spin, too. Vettel is getting a fair amount of criticism for his mistake, but I also think he did a pretty good job of bringing the damaged car to the pits after inhaling the FW. And then he did a solid job of recovering positions for damage limitation.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
Hamilton vs Vettel - third stint battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdQI01Q ... e=youtu.be
Interesting that Hamilton was getting "cool car" warning messages during that chase. Also, as he was making his pass, there is a message "ERS RECOVERED". I wonder if the two are linked.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

mzso wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:10
GrandAxe wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 22:07
mzso wrote:

Grammar is secondary to the point being made. There are lots of members who don't have English as their first language.
Well, since it's totally incomprehensible I'd say it has a tiny bit of relevance.(Mine isn't english either)
Most people would clarify if asked, but swearing and pointing might intimidate them and produce the opposite effect; silencing them and causing the forum to lose their contribution.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:42
Juzh wrote:

Interesting that Hamilton was getting "cool car" warning messages during that chase. Also, as he was making his pass, there is a message "ERS RECOVERED". I wonder if the two are linked.
What stood out in that video for me was the mistakes Vettel was making. There were 2 or 3 big apex misses, and then the biggest mistake wasn't even on camera. Either that car was crap, or he's under unbelievable pressure already.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Juzh wrote:

It’s when you watch that kind of stuff that you realise the utter pounding they are taking and concentration going on in that cockpit (all drivers). Speeds varying from around 50 to 200 MPH all the time.

ringo

Just_a_fan wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Cool car is an instruction. It is telling him to cool the car (it's not saying that the car is cool). In the video you can see him veer to the right just before the braking zones to come from behind the hot air off the ferrari.
Hamilton's craft is very impressive when you get these close up videos. Vettel's poor speed seems to be from making errors. The whole video Vettel was missing the apex into turn 1, and also taking some corners too wide. He doesn't seem to be focused while being chased.
I can also tell that mercedes engine was turned up to 11, based on the sound and also the high revs.
For Sure!!

ringo

Harvester wrote:

Thats right. After vettel overtook Hamilton, he almost regained position the next lap and was able to stay very close to vettel for some time.
There could be different reasons for that. It can be that after vettel overtook Hamilton they turned down his pu a little bit. Maybe that can be checked by watching onboard.

I think it has to do with Hamilton's tyres being in poor shape after he went off on the last corner and then taking time to come up to temperature and cleaned of debris. His pace was abnormally slow for the red tyre, and this is what allowed vettel to come in close for the overtake. After the overtake the tyre seemed to get back in the right range and allowed Hamilton to get back into the correct pace of the tyre. This is why he was able to follow at the same pace. I don't think Vettel would turn down his engine and not have at least a 6 second gap.
For Sure!!

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

zibby43 wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:27
Harvester wrote:
Would've been fascinating to see what would've happened if Vettel didn't have the spin, too. Vettel is getting a fair amount of criticism for his mistake, but I also think he did a pretty good job of bringing the damaged car to the pits after inhaling the FW. And then he did a solid job of recovering positions for damage limitation.
Thing is Vettel would be good at a damage limitation drive/recovery drive because he has to put one in every 5 races. Vettel should have won the race or come in 2nd,not show us how handy he is when something has gone wrong.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 01:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
Juzh wrote:

What stood out in that video for me was the mistakes Vettel was making. There were 2 or 3 big apex misses, and then the biggest mistake wasn't even on camera. Either that car was crap, or he's under unbelievable pressure already.
He was trying brake later than Ham, I guess. He was going deep in some of those corners..

NathanOlder

foxmulder_ms wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 06:39
NathanOlder wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 01:00
Just_a_fan wrote:

He was trying brake later than Ham, I guess. He was going deep in some of those corners..
Turn 10 the lap before the pass he completely missed the apex, Turn 1 on the lap he was passed he missed the apex by a mile! thats just 2 out of quite a few! unless he was purposely avoiding the kerbs ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 05:18

Cool car is an instruction. It is telling him to cool the car (it's not saying that the car is cool).
Yes, I know. Thanks but I'm not an idiot.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

mzso wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 23:17
mzso wrote:

It makes sense to those English speakers who are used to dealing with non-English speakers.
By all means translate then.
(Though I feel like it'll mostly be conjecture.)
If you compare to the line that the Merc in front of them takes, Sainz turns in very early.

It really is not hard to get that from what he wrote, next time just say you don't understand and ask them to explain it again rather than being flippant.
Felipe Baby!