2019 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 29 - 31

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
digitalrurouni

Re: 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 29 - 31

That onboard video of Norris by Juzh was awesome. That camera view is great. The track looks great at night. We ned more night racing! And Norris has such a cool and calm and collected driving style! The Mclaren seems to be so much more improved than last year even a layman like me can see it visually as it's being hustled around the track. Out of all the rookies Lando has impressed me the most. Leclerc is damn good there is no doubt but I have a feeling Lando is more talented.

Jolle

digitalrurouni wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 14:44
That onboard video of Norris by Juzh was awesome. That camera view is great. The track looks great at night. We ned more night racing! And Norris has such a cool and calm and collected driving style! The Mclaren seems to be so much more improved than last year even a layman like me can see it visually as it's being hustled around the track. Out of all the rookies Lando has impressed me the most. Leclerc is damn good there is no doubt but I have a feeling Lando is more talented.
Very nice race by Norris, but looking at this onboard, although it might be the wind, he misses a lot of apexes, especially compared to someone like Sainz.

Cool to see on the Sainz onboard how Verstappen goes into attack mode after the first few corners on that Mercedes.

Harvester

This constant praise for Leclerc coming from mercedes is really interesting. I can not help but think that they are trying to play mind games with ferrari.

Sieper

Ofcourse. They want to pressure Ferrari into giving Leclerc full commitment (not having him in a less then optimal strategy etc. (for him) so that they do not commit fully to Vettel and have both drivers share the points. When push comes to shove we will have "Valterri, this is james" on the silver side so Lewis will then always be in a better position then either Vet or Lec.

Yes yes, Bottas 2.0 but unless by some freak incident he collects much more points then Lewis the coming races I do not believe in him outperforming Hamilton.

Big Tea

Sieper wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 17:17
Ofcourse. They want to pressure Ferrari into giving Leclerc full commitment (not having him in a less then optimal strategy etc. (for him) so that they do not commit fully to Vettel and have both drivers share the points. When push comes to shove we will have "Valterri, this is james" on the silver side so Lewis will then always be in a better position then either Vet or Lec.

Yes yes, Bottas 2.0 but unless by some freak incident he collects much more points then Lewis the coming races I do not believe in him outperforming Hamilton.
Or possibly they are looking for a driver without a seat for next year, and are are putting the ducks in a row at Ferrari to encourage it
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Juzh

hulk race start + 10 min

https://streamable.com/k1g6i

Of all the onboards I've seen hulk seems to be doing the most fuel saving. All other cars seem to be doing very little or none at all, but hulk is really doing it quite a lot even when racing other cars.

mistrx

https://imgur.com/a/fX7hJfy

Sorry, don't know how to make that picture visible #-o Please, click the link

Maybe bit faster on one lap, but they couldn't beat 14 years old fastest race lap time! Boy, these cars are sloooow in race pace! No wonder with the fuel, engine & tyre saving. Also they have their batteries which they can't run the full lap.

Btw. has anyone compared times for full race (= the total time it took the winner to win; excluding safety cars and other extra events) across seasons?

I guess we would really see how slow these current cars are!

mzso

Mach wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 12:43
I find Hamilton's recient quote about Honda being within 10bhp of Mercedes amusing :lol:
I can understand saying within 10 or 20 kph.....But really, with all the attention to detail required in the cockpit during the race, the thought of "Hey, Honda"s like 10 bhp down on us"
C' mon Hamy...Just drive and win!!!
It might be more than what he perceives, because RB admittedly is low-drag oriented. Which they say is now a hindrance.

mzso

Sieper wrote:

I say this is BS. Their drivers were always on equal terms right until there was a substantial gap between them.
That said it would be still advantageous to goad Ferrari doing the same. (Not like Toto is required for this. Leclerc does it on his own with good performance and with ever increasing fan backing.)
Big Tea wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 17:38
Or possibly they are looking for a driver without a seat for next year, and are are putting the ducks in a row at Ferrari to encourage it
Arrivabene claimed a long term contract with Leclerc until 2022. At least that's the only way to interpret "he is going to continue his career with us, at least until 2022 for sure".

mzso

Juzh wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 18:15
hulk race start + 10 min

Of all the onboards I've seen hulk seems to be doing the most fuel saving. All other cars seem to be doing very little or none at all, but hulk is really doing it quite a lot even when racing other cars.
A real contemporary Prost?

dans79

mistrx wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 22:28
https://imgur.com/a/fX7hJfy

Sorry, don't know how to make that picture visible #-o Please, click the link

Maybe bit faster on one lap, but they couldn't beat 14 years old fastest race lap time! Boy, these cars are sloooow in race pace! No wonder with the fuel, engine & tyre saving. Also they have their batteries which they can't run the full lap.
That was the refueling era, so the times aren't comparable.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 23:11
Sieper wrote:

I say this is BS. Their drivers were always on equal terms right until there was a substantial gap between them.
That said it would be still advantageous to goad Ferrari doing the same. (Not like Toto is required for this. Leclerc does it on his own with good performance and with ever increasing fan backing.)
Big Tea wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 17:38
Arrivabene claimed a long term contract with Leclerc until 2022. At least that's the only way to interpret "he is going to continue his career with us, at least until 2022 for sure".
But what if they wanted the 'other' driver with 4 crowns to his name? :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mzso

Big Tea wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 00:12
?
I don't get it.

dans79

Big Tea wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 00:12
Vettel would most likely retire before he signed up to be a #2.
197 104 103 7

Mach

mzso wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 23:06
Mach wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 12:43
I find Hamilton's recient quote about Honda being within 10bhp of Mercedes amusing :lol:
I can understand saying within 10 or 20 kph.....But really, with all the attention to detail required in the cockpit during the race, the thought of "Hey, Honda"s like 10 bhp down on us"
C' mon Hamy...Just drive and win!!!
It might be more than what he perceives, because RB admittedly is low-drag oriented. Which they say is now a hindrance.
Strange to hear RB with aero issues.
Either way, I think Hamy has skill to keep marginally higher bhp vehicles behind him.