Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Big Tea

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

roon wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 03:46
strad wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 17:40
Still not totally sold but if all I needed was a back and forth to work car and building a charging station wasn't so expensive I'd consider one.
Surely charging stations are cheaper to build than gas stations. You don't have to dig big holes in the ground. Regulatory environment is different as there are no local stores of flammable material nor fumes to deal with. Small gas pumps aren't popping up in parking lots in the way charging stations are, for obvious reasons.
Not going to comment on it. But... some people complain that the fans make a noise all night too

http://islingtontribune.com/article/ele ... nt-clutter
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

Ya gotta have your own charging station at home. Bring in an electrician pay him to run a 220 feed with dedicated receptacle not to mention paying for the necessary permit to do so.
Probably close to a couple of thousand all included here.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

strad wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 19:50
Ya gotta have your own charging station at home. Bring in an electrician pay him to run a 220 feed with dedicated receptacle not to mention paying for the necessary permit to do so.
What if you live in a block or do not have a drive?

subcritical71

Big Tea wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 17:53
roon wrote:
strad wrote:
Still not totally sold but if all I needed was a back and forth to work car and building a charging station wasn't so expensive I'd consider one.
Surely charging stations are cheaper to build than gas stations. You don't have to dig big holes in the ground. Regulatory environment is different as there are no local stores of flammable material nor fumes to deal with. Small gas pumps aren't popping up in parking lots in the way charging stations are, for obvious reasons.
Not going to comment on it. But... some people complain that the fans make a noise all night too

To be fair, local residents to wind farms complain about the noise the turbine blades make. Local residents don’t like the yellow plume a gas turbine creates during startup. Local residents don’t want a nuclear plant in their back yard. Coal is all but dead. That leaves solar and bio.... can’t imagine what a bio plant would smell like, I’m thinking pretty close to what a trash burner plant smells like. Pilots also complain about the reflections of the mirrors on solar. If we need to keep everyone happy we are screwed. :wtf: :D

Big Tea

subcritical71 wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 21:09
Big Tea wrote:
roon wrote:

To be fair, local residents to wind farms complain about the noise the turbine blades make. Local residents don’t like the yellow plume a gas turbine creates during startup. Local residents don’t want a nuclear plant in their back yard. Coal is all but dead. That leaves solar and bio.... can’t imagine what a bio plant would smell like, I’m thinking pretty close to what a trash burner plant smells like. Pilots also complain about the reflections of the mirrors on solar. If we need to keep everyone happy we are screwed. :wtf: :D
I know some one will complain about anything, but a little thought should be involved. Then again, it is not usually the case so...

Andres125sx

Big Tea wrote:
roon wrote:
strad wrote:

If that´s the biggest problem, then it´s almost perfect :D

strad

Big Tea wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 20:53
strad wrote:
Not sure what you mean but not many places here have a group plug in. Each home has to have it's own hook up to charge the vehicle. And that ain't cheap. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

strad wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 19:13
Big Tea wrote:
strad wrote:
Not sure what you mean but not many places here have a group plug in. Each home has to have it's own hook up to charge the vehicle. And that ain't cheap. :wink:
I fixed a multi-trade company that installed these as part of their services, and it was $495 to install a new breaker, run the wire, and install the receptacle. It was only $645 to run 2 since the labor was synergized.

Big Tea

strad wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 19:13
Big Tea wrote:
strad wrote:

Many live in blocks or arrangements where they do not have a designated parking spot or are not able to bring the car to a position where it can be plugged in.

You cannot just trail a cable across the footpath or pavement/sidewalk nor drop a flex from the 7th floor.

As 60odd % of the world live in cities, and this will be far higher for car owners, there will be many who just cannot get the car into a position to charge, and this means finding an alternative, which would probably involve a queue and lots of waiting in line.

I am pro electric car, but really do not see how we are going to get around the problem without a paradigm shift in thinking about how long it takes and what we do about it.

Just_a_fan

People living in high density locations would often be better served by better public transport, not individual cars charging at their house.

There is a need for social engineering as much, if not more than, technical engineering.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

It was only $645 to run 2 since the labor was synergized.
I don't think you are in the U.S.
Not unusual for an electrician to charge $100 just to show up and $100 an hour plus parts. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss

michl420

I don`t read everything here but i have a e-car, so. The main "Problem" is that everyone compare electro and gasoline. With a e-car, you drive 2 Hours and charge 1/2 hour. That`s how it is on a Long trip, and only on a Long trip. Even with a gasoline car you would enjoy a pause. I don`t know why it is a Problem that the pause is a Little longer. In everyday operation charging is anyway no problem. Of Course a Garage or at least a charge-station at home is a must have.

roon

BMW BEV 700+ hp three motor mule. One front motor, two rear.

izzy

michl420 wrote:
04 May 2019, 19:23
I don`t read everything here but i have a e-car, so. The main "Problem" is that everyone compare electro and gasoline. With a e-car, you drive 2 Hours and charge 1/2 hour. That`s how it is on a Long trip, and only on a Long trip. Even with a gasoline car you would enjoy a pause. I don`t know why it is a Problem that the pause is a Little longer. In everyday operation charging is anyway no problem. Of Course a Garage or at least a charge-station at home is a must have.
yes most journeys are quite short anyway aren't they, but people worry that they'll need a charge and won't be able to find one. We (my parents) tried an i3 and the charging stations that we found one didn't work and the other had an ice car parked in it. But the electric drive was fantastic and even more was a Tesla we tried, it instantly made piston engines seem ridiculously last millenium

The i3 was a great concept with the small petrol engine to charge when you needed it, but just a moped engine bolted in and only a 9 litre tank. What they need is a microturbine for the real long distance cars, for a few years

roon

And who makes the best microturbine range-extender for road vehicles to date? F1 teams and their suppliers. Port that thing over. Replace that convoluted ICE with a soda can and some spark plugs. Make a portable genset while yr at it. 40kw in something the size of a traditional 1kw.