2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Godius

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Morteza wrote:
26 May 2019, 20:46
The marshal Perez said "I nearly killed him"

https://twitter.com/FiftyBucksss/status ... 12192?s=09

Jolle

Restomaniac wrote:
27 May 2019, 11:24
zac510 wrote:
27 May 2019, 09:18
Thinking about it a bit, RBR had two choices; make an unsafe release, or yield to both Bottas and Vettel in the pitlane. They chose to chance it with the unsafe release; if the Merc stop had been 0.5 slower they might have gotten away with it. Being further forward in the pitlane compromises their release.
In hindsight they might have preferred to leave Max out to take track position (or 'do the opposite of Bottas') and run to a similar length strategy as Gasly. From 1st he perhaps could have been more effective pressuring Hamilton to chase and overcook his tyres, as Hamilton attempted to close the pit window.

Ah, beautiful hindsight :)
I doubt many would argue about RedBull trying it. It’s just that some during the race on here were trying to excuse RedBull whilst blaming anyone or anything in sight aka stewards, rules, pit lane (yes seriously), etc instead of looking RedBull themselves.
Could even been that they weren’t per say trying to get in front of Bottas but more maintaining position. Bottas his stop was 0.6 slower than Verstappen’s. Normally when you do a stop together, and have the same pitstop times you won’t change positions. Any hesitation and they would of been fourth on track as well. A split second decision that went wrong.

izzy

Restomaniac wrote:

I doubt many would argue about RedBull trying it. It’s just that some during the race on here were trying to excuse RedBull whilst blaming anyone or anything in sight aka stewards, rules, pit lane (yes seriously), etc instead of looking RedBull themselves.
Yes, and the big issue is that Red Bull clearly decided to do an unsafe release, and the stewards let it pay off. So in future teams can juggle with that tradeoff- is it worth 5s? Sometimes it will be, so FIA have basically licensed unsafe releases in the pitlane, at that price.

Vasconia

Race was being as boring as usual until Leclerc decided to give us some excitement. Thanks Charles. :mrgreen:

Last laps were interesting though we knew Max was not going to overtake Lewis. But I guess Vettel was waiting patiently for a clash between the two in front of him. It was the only chance for him.

I think that a two stop strategy should be mandatory in Monaco, at least it would make the race more interesting, only a little bit though.

Awesome race by Carlos, great overtake and very good pace. =D>

maxxer

Why they dont enable drs in the tunnel also?
Sparks flying would be cool and at the end its safe enough to escape

yelistener

Quali top speeds

nevill3

Red Bull neither decide on the unsafe release or not. The team was solely focused on servicing Verstappen as quickly as possible and getting him on his way. The crowded pit lane with Ferrari mechanics out too meant that they would have been unable to see exactly when Bottas was released. The relatively slower pit stop of Mercedes 0.6 seconds, meant that Bottas was slightly compromised. In a normal pitlane there is enough space for two but this is Monaco!
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

tinvek

DutchDopey wrote:
26 May 2019, 22:19
ubuysa wrote:
26 May 2019, 21:03
I'm sorry but Max has learned nothing since last year. Theres nothing wrong with being aggressive but Max is just plain dirty.

They let him go quickly at the pit stop which was fair enough, but when Max realised he wasn't going to get ahead of Bottas he tried to run him off the road. That's not acceptable.

I've watched the Lewis contact many times now and although Max locked up I'm convinced he was trying to nudge Lewis into a spin. It was the only way he was ever going to get past on that track. Also not acceptable.

Leclerc is an aggressive and talented driver too but he knows these aren't stock cars. Max still has to learn that. He's still a danger to himself and all those around him.
OW come on, the team released Max and he had no where to go. He was dropped in the middle of it. He could not go left because that was dangerous for the pit crews and he could not go right because Bottas was there. Blaming Max is just childish anti fanboyism.
don't forget he couldn't alter his speed as his and Bottas' wheels were between each other, any contact of tyres front to rear could have resulted in a car flipping towards the people in the pit lane, it may be that the jink to his right was because of movement he saw in the people to his left i'm not a fan of Max but in that case he really didn't have any options once the team put him there, there literally was no where to go till they approached the pit exit where there were no people that could be hit.

once the situation had occurred the only totally safe way out was for both cars to slow / stop and the pit personnel from other teams to make room for them to move apart, something that was very unlikely to happen safely unless both drivers decided to do the same thing at the same time.

izzy

nevill3 wrote:
27 May 2019, 13:16
Red Bull neither decide on the unsafe release or not. The team was solely focused on servicing Verstappen as quickly as possible and getting him on his way. The crowded pit lane with Ferrari mechanics out too meant that they would have been unable to see exactly when Bottas was released. The relatively slower pit stop of Mercedes 0.6 seconds, meant that Bottas was slightly compromised. In a normal pitlane there is enough space for two but this is Monaco!
What I meant was the team had pre-decided to release him whether it was safe or not. Solely focused as you say, and yes into a crowded pitlane where there's no space for two cars. They could arrange to see, if they'd wanted, with a tall guy or from above.

So it was policy and very dangerous, and the stewards bottled it.

Brake Horse Power

I think the margins between cars in this pitlane are so small it is almost impossible to decide when is it a safe/unsafe release. At least you will always not know for sure it is safe..

One thing Max could have done was to stall all the drivers behind on track, let Lewis pull a gap and try to overcome these 5 seconds.. That would be driving for second at best.

ThumbsUp

Why isnt Bottas at least been investigated for holding up Max and Vettel? He’s clearly more then 10 car lengths behind Hamilton.

Bottas is entering the pits and Hamilton is just leaving. That’s at least a gap of 5 seconds.

izzy

Brake Horse Power wrote:
27 May 2019, 13:27
I think the margins between cars in this pitlane are so small it is almost impossible to decide when is it a safe/unsafe release. At least you will always not know for sure it is safe..

One thing Max could have done was to stall all the drivers behind on track, let Lewis pull a gap and try to overcome these 5 seconds.. That would be driving for second at best.nt
They have to know it's safe, and it is if there are no cars moving upstream. If a car is moving from 1 or 2 garages up it's not safe, but they didn't wanna wait. Which we can understand, and with these stewards the team knew it might pay off, my point is just that as it is a dangerous thing, cars interlocking wheels alongside dozens of people, the stewards should be making sure teams don't dare to roll the dice on it.

wickedz50

ThumbsUp wrote:
27 May 2019, 13:36
Why isnt Bottas at least been investigated for holding up Max and Vettel? He’s clearly more then 10 car lengths behind Hamilton.

Bottas is entering the pits and Hamilton is just leaving. That’s at least a gap of 5 seconds.

https://streamable.com/6ue8q
Was it not LH who was penalized for driving slowly in Bahrain 2017, blocking Ricardo in the process entering the pits after the safety car for double stacking ? If rules are to be applied the same should be applicable for Bothas. It was indeed strange.
I agree

Restomaniac

izzy wrote:
27 May 2019, 11:41
Restomaniac wrote:

Yes, and the big issue is that Red Bull clearly decided to do an unsafe release, and the stewards let it pay off. So in future teams can juggle with that tradeoff- is it worth 5s? Sometimes it will be, so FIA have basically licensed unsafe releases in the pitlane, at that price.
TBH even though the penalty WAS lenient the net result IMHO was the same (4th place) due to the top 4 pace difference to everyone else.

Bill

I have seen car go side by side on a pit lane many times was so unsafe about Max pistop is not like he jumped in front Bottas to induce a collision