Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vogonvader

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

I don't know if this would be of any help understanding more of that suspensions effect on Merc's performance but I came across this angle on reddit. It's taken at the hairpin and it's visible that right part of that FW on mercedes is touching the ground. I think it's probably due to the angle of the road down there but it might as well be the suspension eh?

roon

Is that the apex/full lock? Road camber visible under the RB front wing as well.

I'm interested to find out if the change in droop/travel is symmetric (dropping front ride height) or asymmetrical (dropping one side only, while raising or unaltering the other, causing roll).

bosyber

Isn't that partly bc. there is quite a lot of camber in that corner?

Even though Verstappen right side of the frontwing isn't quite that low, the left side is certainly a lot higher above the asphalt too - seems in a similar plane to Hamilton's, or am I seeing that wrong?

izzy

roon wrote:
30 May 2019, 22:09
Is that the apex/full lock? Road camber visible under the RB front wing as well.

I'm interested to find out if the change in droop/travel is symmetric (dropping front ride height) or asymmetrical (dropping one side only, while raising or unaltering the other, causing roll).
Gary Anderson described the system, or a system, last year when iirc Ferrari tried it but Kimi didn't like the effect on the steering feel. It was symmetrical.

AMuS is reporting that Red Bull and Mercedes are still using hydraulics, that might be a factor too, with letting the rear come up at low speed, dropping the front that's sticking out so far now

zibby43

Mercedes will debut their Spec 2 PU in Montreal.

Output is rumored to be at 1,020 horsepower. A significant increase in power for Mercedes.

"Mercedes will debut engine 2 that will be capable of more than 1,020 horsepower, with a significant increase in power, but without affecting the reliability"

- Motorsport (Italy), last paragraph

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... h/4415276/

damager21

zibby43 wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 19:05

Output is rumored to be at 1,020 horsepower. A significant increase in power for Mercedes.

"Mercedes will debut engine 2 that will be capable of more than 1,020 horsepower, with a significant increase in power, but without affecting the reliability"

1020hp is crazy :shock: Do we know where do they stack up against other engine manufacturers?

digitalrurouni

zibby43 wrote:

Holy cow! That output is in qualifying trim I assume and in race trim it's going to be significantly less?

zibby43

damager21 wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 06:10
zibby43 wrote:

1020hp is crazy :shock: Do we know where do they stack up against other engine manufacturers?
It's rare that we get a nugget of information like this. Not sure where the other manufacturers stack up numbers-wise, but I do think Ferrari had a slight edge on peak power output to start the season, so this could be a big step for Merc.

Toto had been hinting at good things to come from the PU side for a few weeks now, and Lewis Hamilton mentioned that he expected a PU upgrade for Canada. The Spec 1 PU was already pretty remarkable with respect to efficiency.

zibby43

digitalrurouni wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 07:17
zibby43 wrote:

Holy cow! That output is in qualifying trim I assume and in race trim it's going to be significantly less?
Correct. Some have speculated that race trim maps sacrifice roughly 30-40 horsepower.

dfegan358

That is very daunting prospect for all the teams.
However, Ferrari new engine will be seen to much better effect at this track plus Ferrari might be taking new mgu-k, mgu-h and turbo?

Chassis updates for the merc for Canada?

erudite450

dfegan358 wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 12:30

Chassis updates for the merc for Canada?
It's fair to assume there will be. Although some of the images we would see on Thursday might be misinterpreted as updates where in fact, they will be low-medium downforce package in comparison to Monaco.

digitalrurouni

zibby43 wrote:

Correct. Some have speculated that race trim maps sacrifice roughly 30-40 horsepower.
Wow I was expecting more to be honest but that's really impressive.

Holm86

digitalrurouni wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 20:00
zibby43 wrote:

Wow I was expecting more to be honest but that's really impressive.
The way I've understood the quali-mode is that they run 1 lap with the wastegate open, and the turbine wheel de-coupled. So the MGU-H works as an electric supercharger. The advantage is less backpressure in the exhaust, and thats why you're able to produce a bit more horsepower. 30-40hp sounds pretty correct.
In race-mode you have to use the MGU-H to help charge the battery, hense more backpressure and the output of the engine drops a bit. Plus they don't use full electric boost to the MGU-K over the whole lap in racemode

izzy

Holm86 wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 09:58

The way I've understood the quali-mode is that they run 1 lap with the wastegate open, and the turbine wheel de-coupled. So the MGU-H works as an electric supercharger. The advantage is less backpressure in the exhaust, and thats why you're able to produce a bit more horsepower. 30-40hp sounds pretty correct.
In race-mode you have to use the MGU-H to help charge the battery, hense more backpressure and the output of the engine drops a bit. Plus they don't use full electric boost to the MGU-K over the whole lap in racemode
That's an interesting idea but it doesn't seem very likely to me. There's the limit on fuel flow, 100kg/hr rate, that makes extra flow through the engine impossible or pointless, plus with the limit on battery deployment of 4MJ (33s) they'd have to take drive away from the mguK to do it and that can't be as efficient a way to use it. Also at top rpm they feed the K direct from the H and there's no limit on that, so I don't think they'd want to give it up

Also it's been a big secret how they do it, that Renault and Honda have been struggling to find out and copy, and this is too simple really. And we haven't heard anything about them using party mode in the race have we, which they could if this worked. It's more likely oil in some way, that's a finite resource and FIA keep working away at

SuperCNJ

zibby43 wrote:

I always wonder where the journalists get this information and how reliable it is.

Also, any idea how much power Mercedes had before this upgrade and how the Ferrari PU compares?