2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
digitalrurouni

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

So Mercedes was in engine damage limitation mode while running qualifying? That mean they can give full beans in the race ? Cause they don't use party mode in the race do they?

zibby43

digitalrurouni wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 03:07
So Mercedes was in engine damage limitation mode while running qualifying? That mean they can give full beans in the race ? Cause they don't use party mode in the race do they?
Yep, it's very likely that they won't be power-limited in the race tomorrow.

That news about running a lower PU setting in qualifying has changed my expectations about the race a little bit.

Sierra117

Schuttelberg wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:16
Crazy how people are ruling Mercedes out after the long run pace they showed on Friday.

Off topic question- How does Lewis maintain that hairstyle? Is it not uncomfortable with a helmet on? And it must hurt as well. Not that I would know since I have little left but there's a storm on his head for sure.
As someone with long hair, it depends on your scalp's health. He doesn't seem to have any issues (e.g. psoriasis or any other skin condition on the scalp) so it would take nothing more than to get used to the feeling, but there would be no 'pain'. Plus, there must be some minimal padding at least to provide some cushioning.

Oh, also, braiding actually feels way more comfortable than not having it braided. The braids themselves act as cushions because of how they are intertwined and fattened up by how close together the strands are.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

TAG

Webber2011 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 01:54

Interesting that both Hamilton and Bottas have no new sets of medium tyres left.

I wish we could see how many laps all the used tyres had done.
I think Mercedes will one stop for hards, no need for an unused medium. Just catching up with all of the day's happening. Hopefully we'll have ourselves a race for tomorrow. Great to see Vettel and Hamilton both in fine fighting form.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A

The two Haas drivers are the best thing to have happened to F1. They provide so much of entertainment that we don't miss Maldonado. Mag has ticked one item from dream list. To hit the champions wall. At least that would provide something to feel proud about to wannabe Verstappen. :D

Bottas would be under pressure from Verstappen, who now starts from 9th and with lots of fresh rubber. I wouldn't be surprised if Verstappen finishes 4th.

siskue2005

Webber2011 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 01:54
Interesting that both Hamilton and Bottas have no new sets of medium tyres left.

I wish we could see how many laps all the used tyres had done.
They both ran two timed laps in Q2...
Lewis ran 3 laps on both of them
Bottas ran 4 laps on one and 3 on the set which he will start the race on

CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

siskue2005

pb6797 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:18
siskue2005 wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:58
You do realize the 3 tenths Vettel pulled is also due to DRS...and while Vettel leads without it, Lewis has DRS in 3 parts of the track and he keeps to 1 to 2 sec behind Vettel easily like monza last year....and undercuts him
Race pace cannot be looked in a vaccum sure but if the lead car doesn't have tyre advantage then it will be like monza 2018! And bottas would easily overtake the redbull and Renault and catch Upto leclerc in 3 or 4 laps....and it is race on from there
If both cars were exactly even in straight line speed and who was faster was entirely down to DRS then even if Hamilton was able to get past Vettel, Vettel would then have DRS on the next lap while Hamilton woulnd't and thus they would simply trade places each lap.

As it stands, you can see from the speed trap and sector data that it's distinctly uneven as the Ferraris definitely do have a straight line speed advantage. So at best Hamilton will be able to use DRS to stay in touch, at the risk of burning out his tyres trying to stay close behind in the bendy bits. At worst he'll have to accept third place as Leclerc will breeze past on the straight with the benefit of DRS + more power.
so you are completely ignoring the cornering speeds and tyre life, your assumption will work if we just ignore the corners and assume that the race is made up of just straights without any tyre degradations

bosyber

CriXus wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 06:10
[Almost great F1.com youtube Vettel/Hamilton Q3 comparison video]
... man, that faux tension increasing music they added is distracting from an otherwise excellent feature.

LM10

atanatizante wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:56
1. AMuS said Merc and Williams were running with lower engine modes in qualy until they find the reason behind Racing Point engine failure, which btw. received a fresh spec.1 PU ... in the speed traps Merc and Williams were quite down and Racing Point traditionally went for a low downforce setup hence their better top speeds ...
AMuS didn’t report that Mercedes was running with lower engine modes. In fact, they reported the opposite and quoted Toto telling that they trust their engine bench tests and didn’t turn down.

search

LM10 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 09:08
atanatizante wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:56
1. AMuS said Merc and Williams were running with lower engine modes in qualy until they find the reason behind Racing Point engine failure, which btw. received a fresh spec.1 PU ... in the speed traps Merc and Williams were quite down and Racing Point traditionally went for a low downforce setup hence their better top speeds ...
AMuS didn’t report that Mercedes was running with lower engine modes. In fact, they reported the opposite and quoted Toto telling that they trust their engine bench tests and didn’t turn down.
initially on the live-ticker they said Mercedes could potentially run lower modes indeed - but it was just an assumption, nothing more

Phil

Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 01:06
CriXus wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:37
Hamilton's Q3 lap.

https://streamable.com/6xgwn
I just don't see a mistake there down at the chicane. Upon returning to the pits, Ham said "sorry guys I just couldn't go any quicker".
Hamilton was up 1.5 tenths after S1, again purple in S2, but he in the end only beat his previous time by a few hundreths, so there must have been a mistake somewhere in S3.

Even so, he gotten beaten by Seb by 2 tenths plus, who was nearly as quick in S1 and S2, so i dont think it would have made a difference. It just would have been even closer.

Seriously, awesome lap and performance by Vettel. I still think though that Mercedes/Hamilton will be very hard to beat. Hamilton just loves these type of races. Ferrari are in a good position though to use Leclerc to help Vettel win the race.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Schuttelberg

Sierra117 wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 04:35
Schuttelberg wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 22:16
Crazy how people are ruling Mercedes out after the long run pace they showed on Friday.

Off topic question- How does Lewis maintain that hairstyle? Is it not uncomfortable with a helmet on? And it must hurt as well. Not that I would know since I have little left but there's a storm on his head for sure.
As someone with long hair, it depends on your scalp's health. He doesn't seem to have any issues (e.g. psoriasis or any other skin condition on the scalp) so it would take nothing more than to get used to the feeling, but there would be no 'pain'. Plus, there must be some minimal padding at least to provide some cushioning.

Oh, also, braiding actually feels way more comfortable than not having it braided. The braids themselves act as cushions because of how they are intertwined and fattened up by how close together the strands are.
Thanks mate. I'm almost bald. So no such issues here!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

LM10

Phil wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 10:15
Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 01:06
CriXus wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 23:37
Hamilton's Q3 lap.

https://streamable.com/6xgwn
I just don't see a mistake there down at the chicane. Upon returning to the pits, Ham said "sorry guys I just couldn't go any quicker".
Hamilton was up 1.5 tenths after S1, again purple in S2, but he in the end only beat his previous time by a few hundreths, so there must have been a mistake somewhere in S3.
Hamilton did purple times in S1 and S2, but he was not even half a tenth faster in S1 and less than a tenth in both sectors combined. Where did you get your numbers from?