Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bonjon1979

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

I think this looks like a quick cut job because of the extremely hot temps in Europe this weekend

F1Krof

dans79 wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 00:06
I'm slightly shocked by the TIG welds on the radiator, they look fairly sloppy.
I see what you're saying. Indeed.
Wroom wroom

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
As long as they don't fail, it's not a problem. These cars have lots of rough-and-ready details when you see them up close.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

roon

That's a good TIG bead. If it had pores, globs, sputter, discoloration, they'd have rejected it.

MtthsMlw

3jawchuck

dans79 wrote:
They look sound, not very pretty, but this isn't an art project. Besides, if they were sub par they'd have been picked up when tested.

izzy

Thanks, what do you think the sensors are for? why 2-axis?

MtthsMlw

From the PDF:
Application:
High-precision, slip-free measurement of distance, longitudinal and transversal speed as well as angle for vehicle dynamics
testing.

In the end you want high precision data on how your car behaves to control better how it behaves.

izzy

MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 21:59
From the PDF:
Application:
High-precision, slip-free measurement of distance, longitudinal and transversal speed as well as angle for vehicle dynamics
testing.
oh okay, nice

MtthsMlw

@hlawiczka

roon

The W10 is known for its tight bodywork around the radiators and engine. Can simply this be blamed for their cooling issues in Austria? Further: were track/ambient temps particularly high? Might also consider how dependent this car is upon not running in traffic.

LM10

roon wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 00:48
The W10 is known for its tight bodywork around the radiators and engine. Can simply this be blamed for their cooling issues in Austria? Further: were track/ambient temps particularly high? Might also consider how dependent this car is upon not running in traffic.
The interesting thing is that they (reportedly) were running in lesser engine modes until Barcelona due to cooling issues. Though, at the same time they introduced an even tighter bodywork even before Barcelona. The issues were solved at the Spanish GP, but obviously still not entirely?
Another notable thing is that Mercedes knew it was going to be very hot and they were going to suffer in Austria, but they still didn't go back to their wider bodywork. Instead they opened up around the sidepod and run the PU in conservative modes, which eventually cost them a substantial amount of time. Weird...

roon

Their points lead gives them the luxury of running conservative engine modes without risking engine failures or repair/replacement penalties. They gave up few points this round. They can keep finishing like they did so long as Ferrari and RB keep splitting the remains. That may explain part of it, beyond any potential design limitations.

zibby43

roon wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 01:57
Their points lead gives them the luxury of running conservative engine modes without risking engine failures or repair/replacement penalties. They gave up few points this round. They can keep finishing like they did so long as Ferrari and RB keep splitting the remains. That may explain part of it, beyond any potential design limitations.
Some more info. on just how drastic Merc's measures were. The part about the lifting and coasting, on top of the turned down PUs and opened up bodywork, is just staggering.

"We were running the engine way turned down, lifting and coasting for up [to] 400 metres, I mean it’s almost having no throttle rolling downwards, and still able to pull in some decent lap times. So I think we would have a go, we would have a chance to fight for the win, but we were limited by the cooling problems.”

https://www.racefans.net/2019/06/30/wol ... ng-around/

The fact that they finished the race - period - let alone a podium and a P5, is absolutely stunning to me now, in hindsight.

roon

Ferrari and RB have run bigger outlets all season. If bigger outlets and more voluminous bodywork compromise Merc's aero then they may commit to the detunes in hot weather all season, at least until PU upgrades can address anything. Strategy being: concede performance in hot weather races, gain it back when weather permits, while getting a more compact package all the while.

Ferrari and RB perhaps less bodywork limited with their power unit performance, but have to commit to bulkier sidepods and engine covers.