Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

ME4ME wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 21:55
zeph wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 21:04
For now Vettel still has more points than Leclerc. The new guy certainly has had weekends where he was the faster driver, but I wouldn’t write off Vettel just yet.
Me neither. In my opinion Vettel has been pretty solid so far this season. Neither more nor less. Wouldn't say Leclerc has been better, but obviously Ferrari will feel he is the future.
Out of interest, how do you think tbe championship would look if all Ferrari team orders issued this season were reversed, and the mechanical issues were reverses. all things out of the drivers control basically.

Bahrain Charles lost 10pts with mechanical, Monaco Charles lost a minimum of 10pts with the qualy mistake by Ferrari, being left out far too long in Baku cost Charles points. Team orders have gone well against him in a few races too. I think if they were reversed Charles would be further ahead of Vettel, than Vettel currently is ahead of Charles.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

epo
epo

ME4ME wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 21:55
zeph wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 21:04
For now Vettel still has more points than Leclerc. The new guy certainly has had weekends where he was the faster driver, but I wouldn’t write off Vettel just yet.
Me neither. In my opinion Vettel has been pretty solid so far this season. Neither more nor less. Wouldn't say Leclerc has been better, but obviously Ferrari will feel he is the future.
Vettel is solid and shown the better Ferrari driver this season. Leclerc is the future, needs to learn if he wants to win from Vettel and Max both clearly ahead of him.

Jolle

With Vettel-Leclerc at Ferrari, it had all the potential to end up in a Prost/Senna or Hamilton/Alonso kind of battle, with Vettel being the lead driver and Leclerc the non silent aggressive challenger. With Vettel (and Ferrari) more or less out of the running for a world championship, a big internal clash is avoided. If Leclerc is smart (he seems to be) he will use the rest of this year to sharpen his tools and go full Rosberg next season, basically forcing Vettel out for 2021. Vettel, as we know, his biggest weakness is when his peace of mind.

I expect the real fireworks at the first half of 2020 :D

Jolle

aannnyyyway.... with all the top drivers and ambitious youngsters under contract for next year (HAM, VER, VET, RIC, SAI, LEC), one driver in the waiting room (OCO), three available seats (second Mercedes, one Red Bull and a Renault), I can see another extension for BOT, Hulkenberg next to Verstappen and Ocon released from his Mercedes contract and going to Renault.

I hink that would make a nice balanced grid.

NL_Fer

Leclerc with more experience, RB16 fast from race 1, Mclaren closing in on top, 2020 must be fun.

enry86

Here in Italy "Corriere della Sera" is reporting that Alonso had some talks with RedBull for a comeback next year, after winning Le Mans.
https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... ba66.shtml
The article cites a motorsport.com interview with Marko (which I couldn't find) and says that Honda vetoed the move. They basically said that Alonso will never drive a car powered by one of their engines anymore.

Btw, McLaren just confirmed Sainz+Norris for next year and a some weeks ago they stopped the testing program with Alonso, so maybe it's not just a rumor.

Jolle

enry86 wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 00:16
Here in Italy "Corriere della Sera" is reporting that Alonso had some talks with RedBull for a comeback next year, after winning Le Mans.
https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... ba66.shtml
The article cites a motorsport.com interview with Marko (which I couldn't find) and says that Honda vetoed the move. They basically said that Alonso will never drive a car powered by one of their engines anymore.

Btw, McLaren just confirmed Sainz+Norris for next year and a some weeks ago they stopped the testing program with Alonso, so maybe it's not just a rumor.
I presume Alonso was very disappointed with McLaren during his Indy run. Also, although he did had a test in the new McLaren, it was for Pirelli.
And I did also read the comment from Marko "Alonso a no go for Honda", but not a quote that they were in talks, plus, Marko isn't crazy, pairing up with Verstappen wouldn't be a good deal, the team and results would be much more efficient with someone like Hulkenberg.

ESPImperium

I think we will find Alonso back in a Ferrari next year, i think Vettel is trying to extricate himself from the team in order to go back to Milton Keynes, as Gasly will be dumped by red bull at the end of the year, gone forever i think. Ocon will be given a Mercedes seat for 2020, Bottas impressed early on, but has gone back to being meek and mild again.

Im thinking this for 2020:

Mercedes AMG: 44] Hamilton / 31] Ocon
Scuderia Ferrari: 16] Le Clerc / 14] Alonso
Red Bull-Honda: 33] Verstappen / 5] Vettel
McLaren-Renault: 55] Sainz / 4] Norris
Renault Sport F1: 3] Riccardo / 27] Hulkenberg
Alfa Romeo-Ferrari: 7] Raikkonen / 99] Giovinazzi
Racing Point-BWT Mercedes: 11] Perez / 18] Stroll
Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda: 23] Albon / XX] Pato O'Ward
Haas F1-Ferrari: 77] Bottas / 20] Magnussen
Williams-Mercedes: 63] Russell / XX] Driver with $$$

roon

Good list there. Have been thinking similarly about Vettel moving back. Some other guesses on 2020 moves:

RB: Vettel, Bottas, Kvyat or Albon
Ferrari: Alonso, Perez, Bottas, Raikonnen again, or Ricciardo depending on contract situation
Renault: Alonso, Perez, or Raikonnen

Can Alonso, Vettel, or Hamilton, buy Williams?

FrukostScones

MERC: HAM/VES
FER: LEC/RIC
RB: VET/RAI

that would be good
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle

FrukostScones wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 15:49
MERC: HAM/VES
FER: LEC/RIC
RB: VET/RAI

that would be good
There need to be four out of six contracts to be broken for that :P for 2021 it's more an option :P

raymondu999

Vet has built performance clauses into his previous contracts, that could be the case with Ferrari too.

I think the RB - Vet remarriage could make sense and could work. RB know how to make their cars fast while suiting his style. AND he loves the people there and the working environment. The only stumbling block imo would be that RB dont generally do “outside hires” as much as they do internal promotion.

But then again its more of a rehiring than an outside hire so idk
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

raymondu999 wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 08:36
Vet has built performance clauses into his previous contracts, that could be the case with Ferrari too.

I think the RB - Vet remarriage could make sense and could work. RB know how to make their cars fast while suiting his style. AND he loves the people there and the working environment. The only stumbling block imo would be that RB dont generally do “outside hires” as much as they do internal promotion.

But then again its more of a rehiring than an outside hire so idk
Kvyat was brought back in to the family, so I don't see a problem for their golden boy.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NL_Fer

How about Rosberg? Would he return to Mercedes if Hamilton decides to leave?

The board of directors love him, he sells cars.

NathanOlder

NL_Fer wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 19:13
How about Rosberg? Would he return to Mercedes if Hamilton decides to leave?

The board of directors love him, he sells cars.
I dont know why Ferrari wouldn't offer him big money if Vettel leaves. A champion to put in the team alongside the golden boy. The rivalry with Lewis reignited.

Ham Bot
Lec Ros
Ver Vet

[-o<

just for entertainment purposes, put Alonso in the other Merc alongside Lewis. that way every race of the year is going to be fireworks, no matter what team dominates the weekend.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.