Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cplchanb

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Maritimer wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 20:25
New chassis meaning the cooling will all change now? Might we see a complete repackaging of the drivetrain with even tighter bodywork now? They did say it would be visually very apparent when the upgrades show up. Never thought we would see a Merc Bspec car.
They already brought their b car in pre season test
This would be the c car

Maritimer

I suppose so yes

SiLo

zibby43 wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 23:31
SiLo wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 10:07
They put stickers over your phone cameras as you go into the factory, and even then you can't really see much in the way of parts.
Very cool detail. Have you been on a factory tour before?
I have! You can see an album with some comments here:

https://imgur.com/a/Gk8Y2qi
Felipe Baby!

F1Krof

From Motorsport Italia.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/incre ... 0/4498638/

Google Translated:
Brackley's team has passed all crash tests at Cranfield with a lightweight body that introduces a couple of new concepts. It has not been decided if he will make his debut at Hockenheim. The world champion team prepares for a qualitative leap fearing Ferrari and Red Bull Racing.

The Mercedes is ready to take an advanced version of the W10 to the track: according to rumors that are filtered by Cranfield, Brackley's team would have passed the crash tests of a new body.

It's amazing how the team that is literally dominating the 2019 world championship with nine successes over ten GPs, is ready to deploy a fresh chassis mid-season that will have changes to make the silver arrow even more competitive than it already is, while for example the Ferrari seems less rapid in the development of the SF90.

It must be said that all the development work carried out this year is also aimed at the next championship, since the 2020 technical rules will remain stable pending the 2021 revolution that we anticipated in recent days with some drawings by Giorgio Piola.

The new carbon frame of the W10 will not be recognizable when the car is mounted, but the Brackley technicians have tried to trim the weight of the body since the silver single-seater is the one with the longest wheelbase and, therefore, is subject to having a mass greater.

Each team usually makes five frames to cover a season, if there are no shells replace for accidents: the Mercedes having to prepare the last two two achievements of this championship intervened also introducing a couple of new concepts that on the current W10 there are no .

For this it is not said that Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas will have the evolution frames already in Germany: the debut will almost certainly not take place at Hockenheim, although at Brackley they do not want to waste time after seeing the growth of Red Bull now able to challenge the Red in being the challenger of silver arrows.
Wroom wroom

djones

I was wondering why Mercedes have not just moved on to developing the 2020 car.

But that article has just pointed out the rules are the same, so I guess this technically is all development for 2020.

I'm a little bit excited to see the allegedly noticeable changes. But will no doubt be disappointed when it looks the same :lol:

astracrazy

Maritimer wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 20:25
New chassis meaning the cooling will all change now? Might we see a complete repackaging of the drivetrain with even tighter bodywork now? They did say it would be visually very apparent when the upgrades show up. Never thought we would see a Merc Bspec car.
*Merc Cspec car

-----

Merc seem to be following the same cycle as last year, and perhaps it is the way they are now going compared to other teams.

Release Spec A (well this year there was B too) -> minor updates to tidy up things -> mid season release Spec B (this year C) -> minor updates to tidy up things then rinse and repeat.
Last edited by astracrazy on 22 Jul 2019, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

garygph

It must help a lot when your drivers are bringing the car home in one piece more often than a lot of other teams as well. The factory can get on with fabricating new parts instead of replacing as much.

digitalrurouni

There was an article that mentioned that Mercedes had upgraded all their systems to use the latest software (I thought it was CAD/CAM can't recall) written by Scarbs. Ferrari hadn't. I wonder if that is a major factor in the incredible machine that is the W10. Not to mention Toto being probably the best boss in the world to work for because rarely do you hear of people leaving the Mercedes teams to go work elsewhere.

Pyrone89

For the love of god, please at least for once let a Merc update not be a homerun, F1 needs it.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

astracrazy

Pyrone89 wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 17:11
For the love of god, please at least for once let a Merc update not be a homerun, F1 needs it.
Unlikely.

They don't need to rush through any of these updates. They aren't trying to catch up or backtrack because they have gone down the wrong philosophy path. They can bring them when they are ready, confident and refined.

LM10

digitalrurouni wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 17:08
There was an article that mentioned that Mercedes had upgraded all their systems to use the latest software (I thought it was CAD/CAM can't recall) written by Scarbs. Ferrari hadn't. I wonder if that is a major factor in the incredible machine that is the W10. Not to mention Toto being probably the best boss in the world to work for because rarely do you hear of people leaving the Mercedes teams to go work elsewhere.
Yes, Mercedes uses the latest version of CATIA, whereas Ferrari still uses the older one which seems to have major weaknesses compared.

As for the new chassis Mercedes is bringing, there is nothing much to say other than that the rate of development this team shows is simply incredible. They already were the, by far, fastest car from get go, but still put updates on the car more regularly than their biggest rivals (don't really know about RBR, but Ferrari at least).
You would except Ferrari being the team to bring a brand new chassis as it's them going the wrong direction with their concept. But no, on the contrary, it's the already most dominant team. And this can't even purely be explained by finances as Ferrari surely can't complain about having little money resources. The differences obviously lie in talent, work procedure, organisation and management.

GPR-A

LM10 wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 17:18
You would except Ferrari being the team to bring a brand new chassis as it's them going the wrong direction with their concept. But no, on the contrary, it's the already most dominant team. And this can't even purely be explained by finances as Ferrari surely can't complain about having little money resources. The differences obviously lie in talent, work procedure, organisation and management.
To be fair to Ferrari, it's not easy to react and bring raft of upgrades when you realize that you have gone wrong. It's time to stop, do root cause analysis, identify new direction and then start work. Whereas Mercedes, which truly is the most incredible team that has been in F1, can go aggressive in bringing upgrades as they know they are in right direction.

Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 17:18
The differences obviously lie in talent, work procedure, organisation and management.
I wonder if there is also something in the development route itself. The W10 is almost a direct descendant of the W05, at least in terms of aero development, compared to Ferrari's quite marked change in aero philosophy a couple of years ago. Mercedes have developed and refined some basic concepts in their cars from day one. They must have an intimate knowledge of what a change here or there will do in a way that Ferrari don't. I also wonder if Toto and his senior team are better at keeping rivalries within the factory in check, partly because there is stability there. It's very easy for a group to think they have a magic bullet solution, push it with in-house political games, and then push the team the wrong way.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43

SiLo wrote:
22 Jul 2019, 09:50
zibby43 wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 23:31
SiLo wrote:
19 Jul 2019, 10:07
They put stickers over your phone cameras as you go into the factory, and even then you can't really see much in the way of parts.
Very cool detail. Have you been on a factory tour before?
I have! You can see an album with some comments here:

https://imgur.com/a/Gk8Y2qi
This was one of the coolest original content features I've see on this site. Thank you for sharing!

Pyrone89

Maybe they are somehow circumventing the CFD and windtunnel limits by having Daimler do the ‘fundamental research’ into concepts and perhaps even what shapes and features work and which not, leaving the team to use their regulation limited CFD processing power and windtunnel time 100% for the car design optimizing. That is the only thing I can think of. Just like Ferrari circumvented this with their Haas collaboration in 2015 (Haas was not yet bound by the regulations limits as they were not yet a competitor, Ferrari then used a trick with lending out personnel and more to basically get unlimited windtunnel time)
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.