2019 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 26-28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle

Re: 2019 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 26-28

In hindsight, Hamilton's spin cost him the win, but the chaos after that cost him the podium. If he had stayed out, did a slow lap (the safety car came out anyway), preparing the team for a nose change and not getting a penalty,

His second spin was properly more to do with frustration and pushing to hard to get back into the points.

MtthsMlw

Jolle wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 11:17
In hindsight, Hamilton's spin cost him the win, but the chaos after that cost him the podium. If he had stayed out, did a slow lap (the safety car came out anyway), preparing the team for a nose change and not getting a penalty,

His second spin was properly more to do with frustration and pushing to hard to get back into the points.
After that he was even more frustrated, he actually wanted to retire the car but they didnt't let him.

santos

pb6797 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 09:08
RZS10 wrote:
28 Jul 2019, 21:36
Leclerc said it's unacceptable to have such a slippery bit of tarmac on an F1 circuit ... but since it's probably the last race there for a long time it doesn't matter anymore
Except of course, it's not on the circuit. Don't go off the track if you don't want to drive on slippery tarmac
Really? This is like telling to someone "If you don't want to die, keep breathing".

illario

This was better than SPA 1995... i wish Juzh with help of all gods would make a comparison video with telemetry at turns 15-16, especially kimi... i want to see if he used the throttle 😁😇

gokarter

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

ferari very lucky to get away with a fine. if they allowed leclerc to get away with a fine for unsafe release. then it should be the same with max in monaco. Well we know what FIA stands for. It a shame how this sport is ruined by red politics. running extra performance with extra battery for qualifying and get away know full well FIA will turn a blind eye.my only wish for fia dont favour a particular team.

Capharol

gokarter wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 12:34
ferari very lucky to get away with a fine. if they allowed leclerc to get away with a fine for unsafe release. then it should be the same with max in monaco. Well we know what FIA stands for. It a shame how this sport is ruined by red politics. running extra performance with extra battery for qualifying and get away know full well FIA will turn a blind eye.my only wish for fia dont favour a particular team.
this is a bullshit claim and you know it...
i am not a fan of Ferrari but stay realistic.
VER got his penalty because he touched with Bottas in Monaco
Ferrari, as team, got the fine because this was a perfect example of "unsafe release" as the rule should be and was ment for....
so don't search anything that isn't there

Roman

Wow, what a great race. I had to watch it on replay at night as I was not home during the day, so I knew the result but still - great racing!

Just two questions (even though I know I might poke the bear with one of them, you may guess which one ;) ):

1) The Gasly - Albon incident in the last lap: I remember it being under investigation, did anything come from that? From what I could see on TV Albon just drove right in front of Gasly causing him to crash. Actually a rather dangerous move, even though not many replays were shown.

2) The Hamilton spin (the first one): Yes, I know he didnt spin. But still, he drove off the track under SC conditions, into an area where another car had just crashed, causing the SC. I was expecting this to be investigated (as did the commentators on French TV) as Marshalls and other personnell could have been just at that exact spot, getting the Ferrari out of the way. Therefore this is a potentially dangerous situation, but I do not remember even an investigation. Any thoughts on this?

Jolle

Roman wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 12:46
Wow, what a great race. I had to watch it on replay at night as I was not home during the day, so I knew the result but still - great racing!

Just two questions (even though I know I might poke the bear with one of them, you may guess which one ;) ):

1) The Gasly - Albon incident in the last lap: I remember it being under investigation, did anything come from that? From what I could see on TV Albon just drove right in front of Gasly causing him to crash. Actually a rather dangerous move, even though not many replays were shown.

2) The Hamilton spin (the first one): Yes, I know he didnt spin. But still, he drove off the track under SC conditions, into an area where another car had just crashed, causing the SC. I was expecting this to be investigated (as did the commentators on French TV) as Marshalls and other personnell could have been just at that exact spot, getting the Ferrari out of the way. Therefore this is a potentially dangerous situation, but I do not remember even an investigation. Any thoughts on this?
About the Gasly: no further action because, in slightly other words, the sterwards concluded that he was punished enough with his DNF.

Hamilton: he was within the SC delta. The track conditions and the wrong tire made him slid off, what was made worse by the inc skate ring besides the track. No dangerous driving.

henry

iotar__ wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 10:48
Jambier wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 10:20
yelistener wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 10:04
Turn 1 spin, Lewis had different steering wheel input comparing to Bottas', which helped him escaping the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgd_p59S4os
This is actually very interessting.

HAM is like trying to control, not hit anything, still fighting to stay on track
BOT is like giving up

This crash show the difference in fighting spirit, it is not just luck IMHO
- Very interesting indeed. Attempt to spin Hamilton's failure into a virtue and belittling the other driver :roll: . Not new but interesting :wink: .

- Not comparable (track, tyres and I'm guessing speed) and meaningless. What's also missing is another off track (no "fighting spirit" there?) and a penalty.

- Driver bias and ignorance is off the charts in those threads recently (particularly reletad to one driver.) e.i. fighting spirit in a high speed corner spin when a driver is a passenger.

edit: Speaking of perhaps bias. I'm not sure about it (gaps) but why didn't they pit Bottas again? Thier groveling explanation to LewHam was (obviously) that with a penalty it would cost him.
From an engineering point of view the video is interesting

As you suppose there is a difference in speed. Bottas is faster and is carrying about 6% more kinetic energy at the point the spin starts. Up to the point they reach the outside edge of the track their responses are very similar, full opposite lock. At that point Bottas is further down the road, about 3 metres, and one would think still travelling faster.

At that point their recovery strategies differ. Bottas starts to unwind lock and Hamilton maintains full lock. This means that for Hamilton more of the linear kinetic energy is converted to rotational kinetic energy. How much I don’t know, but Hamilton slows more than Bottas, from a lower speed, and consequently travels less distance down the track. At this point on the track the barrier tapers towards the track so the further down the track the less space for recovery.

So the main difference in avoiding the barrier and not was probably the initial speed. I could add that Bottas was following another car but I have no way of knowing how that affected the initial speed reduction, but I doubt it helped.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

gokarter

Ferrari, as team, got the fine because this was a perfect example of "unsafe release" as the rule should be and was ment for....
Why a fine? this is a clear 5 sec penalty.This Fine( it is like probably breakfast money ferrari spends a day) FIA wanted leclerc and a ferrari win badly . shame. At least be consistent FIA. if a there is another unsafe release ,then everyone should get only a fine. Believe me if this was any team other than Ferrari- they will get an immediate 5 sec penalty, My respect for ferrari has been diminished slowly over the years because in the end fans want to see a clean fight and no politics.

El Scorchio

Only a fine for an unsafe release is crazy. It's no deterrent whatsoever from stopping any team doing it if it helps them get ahead in a race.

I don't really like the idea that the driver gets penalised for a team action, but the threat of a loss of DWC and CWC points or grid place penalty is the only thing that will stop it happening.

marvin78

Always a fine for the team at a unsafe release would be fine by me. But you can't compare different situations. Sometimes the driver can avoid an incident in the pits and then the driver has to be penalized (too).

Capharol

gokarter wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 13:13
Why a fine? this is a clear 5 sec penalty.This Fine( it is like probably breakfast money ferrari spends a day) FIA wanted leclerc and a ferrari win badly . shame. At least be consistent FIA. if a there is another unsafe release ,then everyone should get only a fine. Believe me if this was any team other than Ferrari- they will get an immediate 5 sec penalty, My respect for ferrari has been diminished slowly over the years because in the end fans want to see a clean fight and no politics.
again you're looking for a thing that isn't there and as Masi already stated more then once "we look at each incident as on its own" meaning no incident is similar to another one that occured in the past....

but i would say keep trying to find something that isn't there ... keeps you off the street :roll:

dans79

roon wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 06:45
dans79 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 04:33
ringo wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 04:28
This race didnt showcase any driver skill for any of the drivers. ... I think there have been more epic wet races...
Personally, I wouldn't even call this a wet race. As you said it's a complete crap shoot, and why I hate races like this.
Until the next wet race, when Ham scores higher or misses walls, then you guys will be all "love races like this" and "amazing showcase of skil
No, I have never liked, interchangeable races like this, so try again!
197 104 103 7

Edax

henry wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 12:57
iotar__ wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 10:48
Jambier wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 10:20

This is actually very interessting.

HAM is like trying to control, not hit anything, still fighting to stay on track
BOT is like giving up

This crash show the difference in fighting spirit, it is not just luck IMHO
From an engineering point of view the video is interesting
What is also interesting is how they lost it exact the same point at the same phase in the race. I can’t remember having seen people losing like that at the entry of the Nordcurve.

I wonder whether this was some sort of setting issue, related to the downshift or the (magical) diff.