Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pyrone89

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

De Jokke wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 13:23
Just got this info from their twitter:
"Don’t have a definitive answer on the lack of pace in P3. Be pushing to be closer for Quali"

:roll:
See, the actors are already on stage :mrgreen:
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

De Jokke

If you look at the season as a whole, this result only popped-up if they had trouble, like in Austria.
Otherwise, they would only be down by 2-3 tenths or something.

Man I hope you are right but can't see it happening.

It's raining here but it remains hot. Ove there it's not raining and I assume it remains hot as well, could that be the problem? But why are they going back to the slimmer bodywork, which would not back up my theory. Tyres not working then or overheating?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Pyrone89

De Jokke wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 13:31
If you look at the season as a whole, this result only popped-up if they had trouble, like in Austria.
Otherwise, they would only be down by 2-3 tenths or something.

Man I hope you are right but can't see it happening.

It's raining here but it remains hot. Ove there it's not raining and I assume it remains hot as well, could that be the problem? But why are they going back to the slimmer bodywork, which would not back up my theory. Tyres not working then or overheating?
What shall we wager on? :mrgreen:

De Jokke

The only hope I see is that it remains cold and they figure out some setup stuff between now and Quali to get the car/tyres to work. But still, half a second is huge.
Must be a kick in the stomach for the team after such a large update and then on home soil.

Pyrone89

De Jokke wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 13:35
The only hope I see is that it remains cold and they figure out some setup stuff between now and Quali to get the car/tyres to work. But still, half a second is huge.
Must be a kick in the stomach for the team after such a large update and then on home soil.
Did you see the long runs? Mercedes has 7 tenths in hand on the mediums. Even if they dont get pole, they are going to win this one with such a pace advantage.

De Jokke

I read it was very close, almost no pace difference + we read an advantage of 1 second in France, turned out to be way less.

aral

Another reminder.....car ONLY on this thread. German GP on the German GP thread. Team talk on the team thread.

zibby43

zioture wrote:
27 Jul 2019, 19:52
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAfys24XsAA ... name=small

Different version in Quali
What's different?

zibby43

From qualifying:

Sevach

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
26 Jul 2019, 03:36

Thanks for the pics.
Any idea what the advantages and disadvantages of a shorter chord front wing would bring?
They are increasing the separation between the wing and the front tire by making it shorter, more time for the air to "stabilize itself".
Sacrifice to wing surface and downforce.

That's what i think at least.

GrizzleBoy

Has anyone noticed the serrated corners of the floor ahead of the rear tyres bending downwards towards the ground at high speed?

I thought I noticed something like that during quali

zibby43

According to Mark Hughes, Merc's German GP update is supposed to be worth 0.5s/lap (according to the wind tunnel).

They haven't been able to find the right setup for it yet due to the unusual running at Hockenheim (huge temperature swings, compromised setup for inclement weather, switching back and forth with different rear bodywork, etc.)

"The loadings tell us that the upgrade has worked but in terms of how we fully exploit that and what effect the surface had, we don’t know yet,” surmised team boss Toto Wolff.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... s-meltdown

Somebody earlier in the thread had asked about the purpose of eliminating some of the width from the uppermost wing flaps. All about outwash More on the upgrade from Hughes and Giorgio Piola:

"This creation of space between the rearmost [front wing] element and the front wheel will have the effect of enhancing the outwash of airflow around the wheel, moving away slightly from the extreme that Merc’s original full-depth wing represented. A small detail change can be seen in a new cut-out slot at the back of the endplate’s foot section and this is likely creating a small vortex that enhances the outwash effect of the new element arrangement."

The sidepods were also reshaped, something that I don't think any of us noticed this time around.

"The sidepods have been subtly reshaped to give slightly bigger radiator inlets. They now extend outwards, with a slight outward angle as viewed from above, so as to give a greater air capture. Mercedes realised as early as winter testing that the cooling capacity was not as great as had been hoped and had spent some time trying to speed up the throughput of air to compensate before it became apparent that there was no alternative but to increase the radiator size."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 3AW4x.html

LuisFeF1

Hi,
Does anyone know what this is (yelow arrow)?
Thanks

German GP - FP2

Sieper

some kind of support arm to keep the car's bodywork undamaged during transport?