[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

No guys, I think I messed up with cooling (weird control surface...again).

But, honestly, I’ve seen that sidepods don’t influence performance that much, so no big deal...I won’t have to make dramatic changes for the next race.

I think the most interesting feature on my car, rather than the sidepods, is the “diffuser”.

machin

variante wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 15:45

I think the most interesting feature on my car, rather than the sidepods, is the “diffuser”.
I said to Andre (LVDH) that I was hoping to see some of you guys exploiting the rules around the diffuser and floor leading edge... good to see some of you thinking laterally 😉

A little bit of knowledge of 10year old F1 cars might also help! 😉😉
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Alonso Fan

Nice to see the challenge getting under way. I don't have a car yet so I couldn't enter for the first race but I'll try to put something together for the next couple of weeks
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

AratzH

CAEdevice wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 17:51
variante wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 17:47
I think the 3D print of the winning car would be pretty cool, as long as it's a detailed one.
The problem is that if we go with a classic 1:18 scale, components that are 10mm thick should be modified in order to obtain at least 1mm (or preferably more): strakes for example need to be 25mm thick in the original (not scaled) model.

A larger scale (1:8) would be great, but we would need an additional sponsor...
If we are OK with some assembly I can help with the 1/8 scale printing.
MVRC -> TF

CAEdevice

AratzH wrote:
22 Aug 2019, 19:07
CAEdevice wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 17:51
variante wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 17:47
I think the 3D print of the winning car would be pretty cool, as long as it's a detailed one.
The problem is that if we go with a classic 1:18 scale, components that are 10mm thick should be modified in order to obtain at least 1mm (or preferably more): strakes for example need to be 25mm thick in the original (not scaled) model.

A larger scale (1:8) would be great, but we would need an additional sponsor...
If we are OK with some assembly I can help with the 1/8 scale printing.
1/8 would be great

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 22:09
Can we include bargeboards and turning vanes with the high fidelity surfaces?
For the second race, can we (optionally) put in the high resolution surfaces folder, everything that is included in the bargeboard volume?

Continues

Hello everyone!
First post on the forum, I'm a little bit late to the discussion, but getting the car ready was the priority.

I'm from Poland, 23 y.o. and I study mechanical engineering at the Technical University of Munich. I wanted to learn more about practical side of aerodynamics and improve my CAD skills (I'm using Fusion 360). MVRC seems to be a perfect fit, especially because of the competitive nature of it. Also I'm a PC hardware enthusiast, but CFD simulations were not considered when I build my setup. Upgrade might be coming soon, though. Is anyone using an AMD Ryzen CPU?

I found out about the challenge when I started browsing the forum during F1 testing in March. I've been following the thread since then. The exam period was in full swing at that time (and as it is now), so I had a go at designing an 2018 car after the MVRC season ended to check out the Mantium Flow software. My current car is boxy and rough, I think I'm doing something wrong with the sidepods/cooling because these things are massive!
CAEdevice wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 13:15
My first impression is that Variante and OKRacing will fight for the victory. Baltic has a simple car and it could be a good choice.
Wow, that's a wild prediction! Not too long until we find out!
OK Racing Team

CAEdevice

Hi Continues, welcome!

Yes your sidepods are big, but in the first race to have a good cooling (and, as a consequence, good power) and balance will be more important than some additional Newtons of downforce.

I also used a front wing with few elements, it is easier to understand and optimize.

Ft5fTL

Continues wrote:
25 Aug 2019, 21:21
Hello everyone!
First post on the forum, I'm a little bit late to the discussion, but getting the car ready was the priority.

I'm from Poland, 23 y.o. and I study mechanical engineering at the Technical University of Munich. I wanted to learn more about practical side of aerodynamics and improve my CAD skills (I'm using Fusion 360). MVRC seems to be a perfect fit, especially because of the competitive nature of it. Also I'm a PC hardware enthusiast, but CFD simulations were not considered when I build my setup. Upgrade might be coming soon, though. Is anyone using an AMD Ryzen CPU?
Welcome to the challenge. I'm using the new r7 3700x as cpu along with 16 gb ram. Full simulation takes around 9-10 hours, fast preset takes around 3-4 hours to finish on my pc right now if that is what you are wondering about.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

LVDH

So, I have finally been able to publish the scrutineering results:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... -spa-2019/
People were lucky, only warnings are issued. Keep in mind that a repeated warning results in a penalty. So for those who have violated a rule: You should keep track of that and more than triple-check. Although announced in the emails, the advice about triple-checking the legality volumes, this is what lead to most warnings.
I hope to get some CFD images out tomorrow morning.

rjsa

Oooh that was bad. I do have the part , though. WTF did I do.

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 04:19
Oooh that was bad. I do have the part , though. WTF did I do.
Good question, at least the other guys were nice enough to not flag you. When I first saw it, I almost overlooked it. I now have some scripts that also help with scrutineering and they did help finding some issues.

It looks like the moist air in Spa helped to visualize what is going on with your cars:
To have a better look:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cfd-images ... -spa-2019/

machin

Maybe it’s worth just reminding people that your body should not include things like; the Halo, the wing mirrors, the central front wing section or the gearbox (and because of the legality volumes we should be able to see the rear part of the gearbox/crash structure when we load in that part).

Nice images from Andre... so now we just need to put them against the clock.... the video should be live at 13:00 Central European Summer Time tomorrow (Sunday); you can watch it as part of the build up to some other race that’s happening shortly after... 😉

wb92

Quick question about automatic post-process in MVRC software:
Is there a quick way to increase number of slices?
MVRC - WBRacing

machin

wb92 wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 13:42
Quick question about automatic post-process in MVRC software:
Is there a quick way to increase number of slices?
Hopefully Andre or Matteo will be able to help you with that one...

So, the link below will be live at 13:00 CEST. Perhaps we should agree not to post any spoilers until 18:00?

Good luck to everyone!