2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
diffuser
195
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

1158 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 am
subcritical71 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:41 am
IIRC, RB were underestimated the power of the Honda PU. Since gear ratios are set at the beginning of the year it seems plausible that they mis judged their ratios and are running a higher RPM at some tracks than anticipated. Why one car hits or doesn’t hit the limiter could be due to individual driver setups (wing -> drag levels).
VER was probably was running less downforce. He was 10-11 kph higher than Albon at 3 out of the 4 speed measurements. KVY was almost equal to VER, and was able to repeatedly hit those speeds. Maybe TR had a better idea for the gearing. I would love to know, but we probably never will.
Didn't they say that RBR and STR are using the same back end (transmission Suspension)?

Jaisonas
Jaisonas
44
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

transmission casing. I think the internals are made by TR.

GhostF1
GhostF1
197
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:11 am

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

Jolle wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 pm
JordanMugen wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm
hasika wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:09 am
HRD sakura boss Asaki think Honda's spec4 power unit is very close to Mercedes now.
"The combustion concept we found in last year's spec3 has evolved to this year's spec3,the spec4 is also its extension. Its not the end,there is still room for improvement.The target was to be equal to Mercedes this year. We dont have a clear image in qualifying this time so i dont know yet,but I think that the possibility is not zero with this spec 4."
It is good, but still a funny target when Mercedes is not the best power unit anymore. :?:
Difficult to judge when Mercedes runs more downforce (which probably means more drag) then Ferrari. I presume they are quite equal
Well Honda's target was mentioned at the end of last year, that 2019 would be to match Mercedes. Only this year have Ferrari gone up to another level and as mentioned, a fair amount of that advantage would be down to aero concept.

McMika98
McMika98
-48
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

Jaisonas wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 am
transmission casing. I think the internals are made by TR.
No. The internals have always been Redbull. Last year the gearbox was made by ToroRosso. This year everything on ToroRosso is RedBull.

auv
auv
1
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:46 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

GhostF1 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:28 am
Jolle wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 pm
JordanMugen wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm


It is good, but still a funny target when Mercedes is not the best power unit anymore. :?:
Difficult to judge when Mercedes runs more downforce (which probably means more drag) then Ferrari. I presume they are quite equal
Well Honda's target was mentioned at the end of last year, that 2019 would be to match Mercedes. Only this year have Ferrari gone up to another level and as mentioned, a fair amount of that advantage would be down to aero concept.
Mercedes of what season ? Did they specify ?

Curbstone
Curbstone
2
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:40 am

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

McMika98 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:39 am
Jaisonas wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 am
transmission casing. I think the internals are made by TR.
No. The internals have always been Redbull. Last year the gearbox was made by ToroRosso. This year everything on ToroRosso is RedBull.
I believe STR uses the back-end of last years RB.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u
416
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

Curbstone wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 am
McMika98 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:39 am
Jaisonas wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 am
transmission casing. I think the internals are made by TR.
No. The internals have always been Redbull. Last year the gearbox was made by ToroRosso. This year everything on ToroRosso is RedBull.
I believe STR uses the back-end of last years RB.
i believe that is correct, but wasn't last year's back-end designed for a Renault engine? will that just fit that simple?
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer
76
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 am

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

Probably an evolution of last years STR box designed by Redbull engineers?

User avatar
etusch
146
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

Manoah2u wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:03 am
Curbstone wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 am
McMika98 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:39 am


No. The internals have always been Redbull. Last year the gearbox was made by ToroRosso. This year everything on ToroRosso is RedBull.
I believe STR uses the back-end of last years RB.
i believe that is correct, but wasn't last year's back-end designed for a Renault engine? will that just fit that simple?
This year's Redbull gb also last last year's gb adopted to Honda pu

User avatar
Wouter
384
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

They truly exists. 😋 Named after the queen and his wife, Willem Alexander and Maxima :)

https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 1610887168

TNTHead
TNTHead
22
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

Wouter wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:04 pm
They truly exists. 😋 Named after the queen and his wife, Willem Alexander and Maxima :)

https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 1610887168
You most probably meant to say 'the king and his wife...'

Or more precisely: the queen Max(ima) and her husband Willem (Alex)ander...:lol:

User avatar
Wouter
384
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

TNTHead wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:43 pm
Wouter wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:04 pm
They truly exists. 😋 Named after the queen and his wife, Willem Alexander and Maxima :)

https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 1610887168
You most probably meant to say 'the king and his wife...'

Or more precisely: the queen Max(ima) and her husband Willem (Alex)ander...:lol:
#-o #-o #-o :lol:

DChemTech
DChemTech
41
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

TNTHead wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:43 pm
Wouter wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:04 pm
They truly exists. 😋 Named after the queen and his wife, Willem Alexander and Maxima :)

https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 1610887168
You most probably meant to say 'the king and his wife...'

Or more precisely: the queen Max(ima) and her husband Willem (Alex)ander...:lol:
With the advances in medical technology these days, you can never be sure, can you ;)

User avatar
Big Tea
125
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

Manoah2u wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:03 am
Curbstone wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 am
McMika98 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:39 am


No. The internals have always been Redbull. Last year the gearbox was made by ToroRosso. This year everything on ToroRosso is RedBull.
I believe STR uses the back-end of last years RB.
i believe that is correct, but wasn't last year's back-end designed for a Renault engine? will that just fit that simple?
Was there not a 'reg' released a few years back standardizing engine mounts etc? I would not be surprised if this included gearbox mating (but I do not know)
I am very much in favour of filtered water. Preferably passed through a brewery

McMika98
McMika98
-48
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Post

Manoah2u wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:03 am
I believe that is correct, but wasn't last year's back-end designed for a Renault engine? will that just fit that simple?
If you read the Toro Rosso forums there are pages debating that. Ofcourse Toro Rosso are compromised but thats the way it has been dictated. They could have probably done a better job themselves.