Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Polite

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

For me, only better efficiency: best ERS of the grid and best software. They harvest more and deploy more at the beginning of the straits

ENGINE TUNER

Polite wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 21:04
For me, only better efficiency: best ERS of the grid and best software. They harvest more and deploy more at the beginning of the straits
In order to deploy more at the beginning of the straights they have to also have superior traction do they not?
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 18 Sep 2019, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Brake Horse Power

I am wondering would it be possible that they use MGU-H for mechanical propulsion? It would be quite a complex arrangement..

A mechanical link (can be read as gears) to the rest of the engine isn't allowed. But suppose you add an extra motorgenerator on the MGU-H shaft which you than connect mechanical to the ICE? Or is it a bit far fetched..

ENGINE TUNER

dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 20:38
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 20:24

"Better, more efficient combustion" is at odds with the reports that Ferrari are burning 5 to 10kg more fuel per race then Merc(even while Ferrari carry less drag). It is quite possible that they have decided to keep the excess fuel mass for more power. Interesting tactics😉
It will probably be something they change for next year, as the low drag high fuel/power philosophy hasn't served them very well this year.
Fastest in Bahrain, Baku, Canada, Austria, Spa and Monza. The car is better than their season would suggest. But I agree that they will probably change quite a bit regarding their overall aero philosophy. The 2018 aero regs seem to have worked out far different than most of the grid has anticipated.

gruntguru

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 20:24
NL_Fer wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 20:17
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:48
Could Ferrari be opening up the wastegates early in the acceleration phase during the race as is reportedly done in the "qually" mode for a little extra low end power?

Brundle often mentions a peculiar sound when the Ferrari passes him as he travels around the track during practice sessions.
It could be done, even one or two seconds would give some extra boost at the start of a straight. It a cost of more harvesting and fuel consumption.

But i believe there is no trickery. Just better, more efficiënt combustion and more ERS harvesting.
"Better, more efficient combustion" is at odds with the reports that Ferrari are burning 5 to 10kg more fuel per race then Merc(even while Ferrari carry less drag). It is quite possible that they have decided to keep the excess fuel mass for more power. Interesting tactics😉
So the efficiency of the Ferrari and Mercedes is probably similar but Ferrari have found a way to use more fuel. Probably they are able to do more harvesting - converting fuel to ES energy. They would then be able to use electric supercharger mode more often.
je suis charlie

dans79

gruntguru wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 23:09
So the efficiency of the Ferrari and Mercedes is probably similar but Ferrari have found a way to use more fuel. Probably they are able to do more harvesting - converting fuel to ES energy. They would then be able to use electric supercharger mode more often.
I don't think this is the case, there must be something more. A year later, and we don't see any hints of this form the other manufactures.
197 104 103 7

ENGINE TUNER

gruntguru wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 23:09
Is there not a regulation that prohibits harvesting(thru the mguk) while ON throttle?

So are they dumping some fuel in during the exhaust phase to to feed the turbine more in order to harvest more off the mguh? Harvesting more from the mguh increases s.o.c. which allows them to run in electric supercharger mode (qually mode) with the wastegates open which allows more power from the ice as well.

Seems plausible.

A quick question, why do you think that efficiency of Merc and Ferrari are similar?

gruntguru

Simply adding the two claims - Ferrari has a race power advantage - and they are using more fuel.
je suis charlie

Tommy Cookers

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 00:24
Is there not a regulation that prohibits harvesting(thru the mguk) while ON throttle?
no there is not
(unless such has been introduced recently)

we have seen one manufacturer's telemetry showing such harvesting

LM10

Ferrari’s power advantage is more significant in quali mode. I don’t think that “burning more fuel” is the explanation of that. Otherwise other teams would have done the same with their PU already.

The answer to the question might be going in the direction of one of the explanations here, but only to some extent. Some of the best engineers in the world, which are present in the grid, still don’t know what Ferrari is doing OR they are not able to implement it (yet).

saviour stivala

Tommy Cookers wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 10:05
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 00:24
no there is not
(unless such has been introduced recently)

The harvesting by the K while under power/throttle telemetry wasn’t shown by the manufacturer but by a LOCAL to that manufacturer F1 site/magazine.
Harvesting by the K while under power/throttle have been practiced by many by using the brake pedal while under power/throttle.
Otherwise it is not possible to harvest by the K if the brake pedal is not used.

we have seen one manufacturer's telemetry showing such harvesting
'

djones

Are we actually sure its engine power?

I mean.... could movable aero not cause the same top speed etc.

LM10

djones wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 10:37
Are we actually sure its engine power?

I mean.... could movable aero not cause the same top speed etc.
It's not the top speed alone. The Ferrari is accelerating faster than any other car out there and it's evident in non-traction-limited speeds.

What kind of movable aero part do you think of? That would be illegal.

Last season and in the beginning of this season you were sure of Ferrari using/having used illegal tricks to get more power out of their PU and now it's another illegal trick? :roll:

djones

It was just an idea to cover off if everybody is getting caught up on the engine.

I think they are doing something illegal with the PU personally. But that's purely opinion.

Not that it matters in terms of the championship as they are going to lose both significantly. I think if they were ahead or close there would be a lot more uproar from people like Mercedes.

LM10

djones wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 11:56
It was just an idea to cover off if everybody is getting caught up on the engine.

I think they are doing something illegal with the PU personally. But that's purely opinion.

Not that it matters in terms of the championship as they are going to lose both significantly. I think if they were ahead or close there would be a lot more uproar from people like Mercedes.
Remember the uproar and the number of investigations last season?