2019 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 20-22 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Re: 2019 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 20-22 September

Sometimes it is crazy to see teams with 1000 strong cannot see what is so obvious. I was sure, Merc would try to undercut. It was so easy.... What an unforced error.

The thing is, it does not matter. Hamilton is already the 2019 champion. So, I am pretty sure, Merc focus is 100% on 2020.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

NL_Fer wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 19:11
Before Charles boxed, Lewis said: “Let’s undercut him”

Afterall this would have been the right strategy. Was he genuine, or just luring Charles into an early stop?
Yes, but when he said "lets undercut him" it was too late.

LM10
LM10

dans79 wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:02
Zarathustra wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 19:59
Ok- so the real question basically is, what do the proffesional forum posters from F1technical think of the out come of this race?

What went ‘wrong’ and what could you’ve done better?
Mercedes screwed up tire warm up in q3, and they screwed up strategy-wise during the race. In my opinion Mercedes was faster race pace-wise, but not nearly enough to get past on this circuit.
The only time Mercedes pretty visibly screwed up tire warm up was the first run in Q3. I don't really think this happened in the second run. It sounds more like an excuse to me or a desperate attempt to explain them being on the backfoot out of nothing, to be honest. Or if any, it didn't play a significant role. Because Hamilton told that there was nothing more to do for him, his lap was as fast as he could have gone. He didn't have any moments/mistakes which would underline this theory either.

As for the race, I wonder how you can be sure that Mercedes had the best race pace. I didn't see a single sign suggesting that in the race.

Unc1eM0nty

foxmulder_ms wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:13
The thing is, it does not matter. Hamilton is already the 2019 champion. So, I am pretty sure, Merc focus is 100% on 2020.
If it had been areal title battle no way would Mercedes have done what they did

They have points to burn and they're over thinking everything

LM10
LM10

fritticaldi wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:03
dans79 wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 19:46
fritticaldi wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 19:24
Ferrari is now strong on every track.
I have a feeling you will be severely disappointed in Susuka!
Ferrari has nothing to FEAR. Monza & Spa are quicker tracks than Suzuka and Ferrari has Outqualified and Outraced Mercedes. Another fact : Bottas is far inferior to both Vettel & Leclerc. Hamilton has his hands full with two drivers who dispose of a car better than his.
Maybe you should keep your head down. I love Ferrari's recent pace as well, but let's wait and see how it's gonna turn out in the next races.
Spa and Monza were low-downforce tracks where Ferrari was expected to win anyway. Singapore was a high-downforce track and Ferrari surprised everyone, that's for sure, but street tracks still are a bit of an outlier. I'll wait for Ferrari's pace in Russia next and then draw conclusions. Even though I'm sure that Ferrari made a step forward. Their performance this weekend was not a coincidence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

foxmulder_ms wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:13
It ain't over 'til it's over

Don't count your chickens until they hatch

etc.

A couple of bad races with few if any points scored opens it up.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CriXus
CriXus

Image showing, where and how much Vettel did recover on Leclerc during his out-lap (lap 20) and how the gap has evolved between the two.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

iotar__

Oh look Russell is another annoying loudmouth covering his inaptitude in wheel to wheel with press release victories. One driver took clean outside line and another turned as if there was no one beside and ended up in the wall.

Life is really unfair when you cause a collision to get an advantage and end up paying (although not enough) for it. Why bother learning how to drive when you can get autosport local media next big thing headlines instead. Ugh. :roll:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

iotar__ wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:49
Life is really unfair when you cause a collision to get an advantage and end up paying (although not enough) for it.
A DNF isn't enough? What would you like? An injury? :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Edax
Edax

LM10 wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:23

As for the race, I wonder how you can be sure that Mercedes had the best race pace. I didn't see a single sign suggesting that in the race.
Hard to say anything about pace in this race. Leclerc was driving so slowly in the first stint that the cars behind them destroyed their tires because they were too cold. The first 20 laps George Russel was actually faster than the Leclerc train. Only after lap 35 the ferraris started to accelerate. Until that time they were just managing, tires and fuel. And since they are easier in heating up the tires, they could keep the others sliding behind them, while they kept the tires in the window.

Don’t get me wrong it was brilliantly executed and for that they deserve victory. But that strategy would only work on a track like singapore. I doubt that Ferrari had a pace advantage over the other teams, at least not one that they could maintain over the race distance.

LM10
LM10

Edax wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 20:55
LM10 wrote:

Hard to say anything about pace in this race. Leclerc was driving so slowly in the first stint that the cars behind them destroyed their tires because they were too cold. The first 20 laps George Russel was actually faster than the Leclerc train. Only after lap 35 the ferraris started to accelerate. Until that time they were just managing, tires and fuel. And since they are easier in heating up the tires, they could keep the others sliding behind them, while they kept the tires in the window.

Don’t get me wrong it was brilliantly executed and for that they deserve victory. But that strategy would only work on a track like singapore. I doubt that Ferrari had a pace advantage over the other teams, at least not one that they could maintain over the race distance.
Not sure about that. Bottas was in that group driving slow as well and got a warning from his engineer that his front left tyre was getting too hot.

Maritimer
Maritimer

LM10 wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 21:05
Edax wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Not sure about that. Bottas was in that group driving slow as well and got a warning from his engineer that his front left tyre was getting too hot.
Brake, not tire.

LM10
LM10

Maritimer wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 21:33
LM10 wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 21:05
Edax wrote:

Brake, not tire.
Ok then, thank you for that. Makes more sense. :)

Unc1eM0nty

LM10 wrote:
Vettel seems to think they did too @ 1.50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfoA_WW43SQ

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Mercedes always with the questionable and shocking decisions, just giving points left and right.