2019 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 20-22 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2019 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 20-22 September

aral wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 17:12
What has not been stated (does anyone know) is that Vettels out lap was apparently a stormer.....and that was according to Rosberg, and that is where Vettel gained practically all of his time.
Vettel did not have a storming out lap!!

What is wrong with people, Rosberg is as blind as so many fans!

Vettels out lap S2 time, was 1 tenth faster than KMags S2 out lap the lap before.
Vettels out lap S3 time, was 4 tenths faster than Kvyats S3 time from (Kvyat doing his 5 laps earlier so we can add 5 laps of fuel weight to Kvyats sector time)

All on the hard tyres.

SO Vettel in a car that is posibly 2 seconds a lap faster than a Haas/Toro Rosso, was ONLY 4 Tenths up on those guys in S2 & S3. So can we all please stop going on about an amazing out lap!!!!

It wasnt!!!!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A

I had posted this in Ferrari team thread and I am posting here again.

- Leclerc was told on Lap 14 to pick up pace.
- He was doing mid 1m49s until then and then he jumped to 1m48.7 (lap 15) in the next lap, 1m48.3 the following and then a 1m47.8.
- Strangely, on 18 and 19th lap, he was back into low to mid 1m49s.
- On lap 17, Vettel had a gap of 3.8 seconds to Leclerc and I think that is when they decided to pit Vettel next lap.
- By next lap though, Vettel reduced that gap to 3.5 seconds as Leclerc fell back in 1m49s! Most likely, his tyres fell off.

It was that situation that cost Leclerc. May be Ferrari thought if Leclerc continues to do those 1m47.xxx, he would open a safe margin to Vettel, but because his speed went down in those two laps, he lost a big chunk. Vettel started flying on those new set of hards, which were potentially at that stage, 4 second a lap faster in the first couple of laps (1m49.xxx Vs 1m45.xxx).

(Click to enlarge)

It was tyre cliff issue with Leclerc that cheated everyone at Ferrari.

sosic2121

GPR -A wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 09:40

- He was doing mid 1m49s until then and then he jumped to 1m48.7 (lap 15) in the next lap, 1m48.3 the following and then a 1m47.8.
- On lap 17, Vettel had a gap of 3.8 seconds to Leclerc and I think that is when they decided to pit Vettel next lap.
- By next lap though, Vettel reduced that gap to 3.5 seconds as Leclerc fell back in 1m49s! Most likely, his tyres fell off.

It was that situation that cost Leclerc. May be Ferrari thought if Leclerc continues to do those 1m47.xxx, he would open a safe margin to Vettel, but because his speed went down in those two laps, he lost a big chunk. Vettel started flying on those new set of hards, which were potentially at that stage, 4 second a lap faster in the first couple of laps (1m49.xxx Vs 1m45.xxx).

(Click to enlarge)
https://i.imgur.com/uHpuGP5.png

Can you post Hamilton’s lap times after Leclerc pitted?
Thank you.

GPR-A

sosic2121 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:11
GPR -A wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 09:40

(Click to enlarge)
https://i.imgur.com/uHpuGP5.png

Can you post Hamilton’s lap times after Leclerc pitted?
Thank you.
Here it is. Lewis pitted on Lap 26. Here are his times up to Lap 25.

(Click to enlarge)

sosic2121

GPR -A wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 12:30
Here it is.
Thank you very much!

When Lewis was set free, he was able to do 1:47:0 for one lap, but then started to slowly lose tempo. Anyway, he was obviously faster than Leclerc.

It seems that Ferrari got really lucky with sudden pit window and then surprised Mercedes with pitting Vet instead of Lec.

On Lap 19 Lewis was instructed to do opposite to Leclerc, and if Leclerc stayed out he would undercut him.
But if Leclerc pitted first, and Vettel lap later, Lewis would probably beat Vettel's undercut attempt(without Leclerc to slow him down).

IMO while Ferrari is maybe as quick or quicker car, they still haven't solved their tire issues, and Mercedes is much quicker during the race.

foxmulder_ms

It was a huge mistake. If Ham pitted right after Vettel did, he could have won. They were neck and neck. Well, past is passed :D

sosic2121

foxmulder_ms wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 20:49
It was a huge mistake. If Ham pitted right after Vettel did, he could have won. They were neck and neck. Well, past is passed :D
No he would not win. He would probably be 3rd. MAYBE he would beat Lec in box and be 2nd behind Vettel.

LM10

foxmulder_ms wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 20:49
How could he have won? Leclerc was in front of Hamilton and pitted right after Vettel, but still came out 2nd.

FrukostScones

ze sho musst goe on.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zibby43

I'm curious to see how Ferrari's straightline speed advantage will be affected by the Singapore updates - which they are running this weekend (obviously the RW is different; I'm referring to the "caped" nose, diffuser, etc.).

You can't add downforce without adding some drag. They still may have an advantage, but it will shrink, and the margins were quite close in race trim at both Spa and Monza.

Mandrake

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 09:32
aral wrote:
What has not been stated (does anyone know) is that Vettels out lap was apparently a stormer.....and that was according to Rosberg, and that is where Vettel gained practically all of his time.

Vettels out lap S2 time, was 1 tenth faster than KMags S2 out lap the lap before.
Vettels out lap S3 time, was 4 tenths faster than Kvyats S3 time from (Kvyat doing his 5 laps earlier so we can add 5 laps of fuel weight to Kvyats sector time)

All on the hard tyres.

SO Vettel in a car that is posibly 2 seconds a lap faster than a Haas/Toro Rosso, was ONLY 4 Tenths up on those guys in S2 & S3. So can we all please stop going on about an amazing out lap!!!!

It wasnt!!!!
Vettel was .8 of a second quicker than Bottas, and also a lot quicker than Verstappen (do not have the data with me atm). Maybe Magnussen was incredibly quick out of the pits as well but Vettel definetly put .8 on Bottas in an arguably faster car on the track that day. It was all about the out lap.

NathanOlder

That to me says, Bottas was poor, Max also. Its still Only marginally faster than a Haas is S2 and 4 tenths faster than a Toro Rosso that had 5laps more fuel onboard.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ENGINE TUNER

Mandrake wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 13:39
NathanOlder wrote:
aral wrote:

All on the hard tyres.

It wasnt!!!!
Vettel was .8 of a second quicker than Bottas, and also a lot quicker than Verstappen (do not have the data with me atm). Maybe Magnussen was incredibly quick out of the pits as well but Vettel definetly put .8 on Bottas in an arguably faster car on the track that day. It was all about the out lap.
Didn't BOT come out of the pits just behind lapped traffic? I watched VET'S out lap, nothing special, but it was clear of any traffic. The undercut was just especially strong this race, VET did nothing special.

Mandrake

Well, the only thing that matters is to be faster than the rest to undercut. Even if all the others were slow and Vettel just normal, he was still making it work because of being faster ;)

Mandrake

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 16:24
Mandrake wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 13:39
NathanOlder wrote:

All on the hard tyres.

It wasnt!!!!
Didn't BOT come out of the pits just behind lapped traffic? I watched VET'S out lap, nothing special, but it was clear of any traffic. The undercut was just especially strong this race, VET did nothing special.
No, he had a couple of seconds free air that will not have caused any damage to his laptime. 6.1 Secs behind Verstappen