2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Big Tea wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 15:10
Lets do a little day dreaming here. I do not believe it, but some have been saying Mercedes is thinking of pulling the plug from F1. What would then happen to the race engine department?

Many, myself included have thought that it may be a good idea for Mclaren to have their own engine in F1 and their 'street cars'.

You have to be in it to win it? Dream on from here.
No and no. This is not the place for that.
F1 is dead.

diffuser

Pany wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 20:45
Dear Diffuser, try to be more polite firstly, then try to discuss about objective facts.

Edit Thunder: slight edit since you were talking about being polite..... :wink:
The thing about facts is they're not polite. the truth hurts.

I just hate the presumption that Ricciardo is unhappy cause he's lingering in a midfield team instead of a solid 3ird place team.
1- He also has a clear out in his contract if Ferrari, or anyone else, should come a knocking.
2- He hasn't used his out. I don't think he will based on the Ocon news.
3- Is making double the money than if he had stayed at RBR.
4- Doesn't have to put up "what he considered" preferential treatment to Max.
5- RBR don't have a chance of winning this year.
6- If you beleive Max's dad, RBR are a long shot for next year.

So what's bad about it?

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
Lets do a little day dreaming here. I do not believe it, but some have been saying Mercedes is thinking of pulling the plug from F1. What would then happen to the race engine department?

Many, myself included have thought that it may be a good idea for Mclaren to have their own engine in F1 and their 'street cars'.

Depends on what happens to the team. Most teams get sold.

I actually thought it was still Ilmore but it's not...

From wikipedia
After originally developing IndyCar engines, the company built a partnership with Mercedes-Benz to power F1 cars for both the Sauber and McLaren teams. After the death of Paul Morgan in a vintage aeroplane crash in 2001, Mercedes increased its stake until it owned the entire company, and renamed it Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines Ltd.
In 2005, Mario Illien concluded a deal to purchase the Special Projects part of the company in partnership with Roger Penske, which was under contract with Honda Performance Development to jointly develop, arrange, prepare and tune-up IndyCar engines from 2003–2011.[1] This new company, which is totally independent of Mercedes, is once again known as Ilmor Engineering Ltd.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Andres125sx

Big Tea wrote:

As I said many pages back...
Andres125sx wrote:
28 Sep 2019, 12:56
Hopefully...

a) Mercedes focused on 2021 PU sooner than any other thanks to its domination and that´s the reason Ferrari is a better PU today

b) Mercedes will retire from F1 in the medium term (5-7 years) when FE has evolved enough to be a real threat in media impact to F1, so McLaren may become Mercedes works team

We must keep in mind Daimler annouced they´ll stop any ICE development to focus on EVs, and also that they´re entering FE as an works team in 2020 moving people from F1 team to FE team
I see it as a very plausible posibility, specially considering Mercedes interests lately. They´ll stick as a PU manufacturer for some more years, then depending on real world evolution of electrics they´ll keep it some more or do the final switch

Anycase McLaren may benefit from becoming Mercedes works team from 2021. Would be great, wouldn´t be? :D

RonDennis

Can the nonsense about McLaren being a works team in 2021 stop? It makes no sense at all. Daimler only invests a small amount in their F1 team, why the hell would they stop their own successful team and put it in McLaren that are still miles of the leaders. It makes no sense at all. Like it has been said several times: it's their cheapest marketing campaign they ever had. Keep on dreaming.

That recent success, however, has been thanks to a huge annual budget, but team boss Toto Wolff insists it is worth every cent and more. "We have very precise figures, in fact," he told the Austrian newspaper Tiroler Tageszeitung newspaper. "In the last season we generated 3 billion dollars in advertising value, meaning that is the sum we would have to invest in TV and print advertising to achieve a similar result to our commitment in F1," added Wolff.

He said Mercedes therefore has no thoughts at all about quitting the sport. "As we saw with Toyota and BMW etcetera, many teams come and go. But with us it is something different. The first Mercedes that was ever built was a racing car. Motor sport is in our DNA, and even hard times would not change this," Wolff insisted. (GMM)

For McLaren developing their own engine? Do you even know how much it costs to start a project like that and get on the same level as Ferrari or Mercedes. McLaren is a relatively small company compared to both of them.
Last edited by RonDennis on 08 Oct 2019, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

bauc

RonDennis wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 11:46
Can the nonsense about McLaren being a works team in 2021 stop?
People want to dream... and that is fine, but their dream is busted until 2024 atleast.... on the other hand, I don't see a reason why Mclaren has to be a works team in other to win.... with the new rules in place, we can have a completely different F1 in few years time, and if Mclaren now can beat the factory Renault team (okey Renault currently are down on form) why couldn't they do the same against the Mercedes factory team from 2021?

If all pieces fall in place, I believe we can win again
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect

The Mercedes engine isn’t even in the back of a McLaren yet, and people already talking about works team... I understand fans hoping for the best, but there’s nothing to indicate this is going to happen. People need to remember that the relationship with McLaren only ended because McLaren ended it, for reasons we already know. They had a customer relationship for what, 5 seasons? There was no indication Mercedes were planning on ending it, so it probably would have continued if McLaren didn’t get Honda to return. So, at this stage, it’s just a resumption of a previously existing customer relationship. I would sooner believe Mercedes are covering themselves from a future possibility of having to supply Red Bull, should Honda call it a day. They’ve effectively taken themselves out of that equation or conversation.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McG

RonDennis wrote:
Can the nonsense about McLaren being a works team in 2021 stop? It makes no sense at all. Daimler only invests a small amount in their F1 team, why the hell would they stop their own successful team and put it in McLaren that are still miles of the leaders. It makes no sense at all. Like it has been said several times: it's their cheapest marketing campaign they ever had. Keep on dreaming.

That recent success, however, has been thanks to a huge annual budget, but team boss Toto Wolff insists it is worth every cent and more. "We have very precise figures, in fact," he told the Austrian newspaper Tiroler Tageszeitung newspaper. "In the last season we generated 3 billion dollars in advertising value, meaning that is the sum we would have to invest in TV and print advertising to achieve a similar result to our commitment in F1," added Wolff.

He said Mercedes therefore has no thoughts at all about quitting the sport. "As we saw with Toyota and BMW etcetera, many teams come and go. But with us it is something different. The first Mercedes that was ever built was a racing car. Motor sport is in our DNA, and even hard times would not change this," Wolff insisted. (GMM)

For McLaren developing their own engine? Do you even know how much it costs to start a project like that and get on the same level as Ferrari or Mercedes. McLaren is a relatively small company compared to both of them.
Ugh.

No one has said seriously that it would be a works deal in 2021. You're not bringing anything new to this discussion. Go back to the hole you crawled out from.
F1 is dead.

Ground Effect

I saw below article on the autosport forum. It’s from el confidencial, so I don’t know how much of it is a work of fiction. One or two interesting bits, if the reporting is accurate.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... ecnicos%2F
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis

McG wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 12:56
RonDennis wrote:

Ugh.

No one has said seriously that it would be a works deal in 2021. You're not bringing anything new to this discussion. Go back to the hole you crawled out from.
Weren't you supporting Renault? Talking about crawling back. :lol:

McG wrote: ↑22 Mar 2019, 21:59

I would actually be happy for Renault even if they finish ahead of McLaren (and they already have done for a while). Purely because it would mean someone is getting closer to the top 3 and hopefully give them a hard time like RBR do to Ferrari and Merc. I have more faith in Renault than I do McLaren at the moment and I like their drivers better. Their car looks cool too.

My support for McLaren has been worn away down to almost having a "soft spot" for them. No passion like in the Hakkinen/DC/Kimi/Montoya/Hamilton/Button/Alonso days.

How can one support a team that keeps making terrible decisions. This year will show if sacking Honda was another terrible decision. Any bets that Honda might actually be decent this year?

Just something bloody change please!

Sorry that went into a bit of a rant.

McL-H

RonDennis wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 18:08
McG wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

Ugh.

I would actually be happy for Renault even if they finish ahead of McLaren (and they already have done for a while). Purely because it would mean someone is getting closer to the top 3 and hopefully give them a hard time like RBR do to Ferrari and Merc. I have more faith in Renault than I do McLaren at the moment and I like their drivers better. Their car looks cool too.

My support for McLaren has been worn away down to almost having a "soft spot" for them. No passion like in the Hakkinen/DC/Kimi/Montoya/Hamilton/Button/Alonso days.

How can one support a team that keeps making terrible decisions. This year will show if sacking Honda was another terrible decision. Any bets that Honda might actually be decent this year?

So his opinion has changed, since results changed too over the past 7 months. So what? Kind of low to search the entire forum for a post that contradicts what he’s saying imo.

“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” - John Maynard Keynes

RonDennis

McL-H wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 19:07
RonDennis wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 18:08
McG wrote:

Ugh.

So his opinion has changed, since results changed too over the past 7 months. So what? Kind of low to search the entire forum for a post that contradicts what he’s saying imo.

“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” - John Maynard Keynes
His opinion changed? Imagine calling yourself a McLaren fan and be "actually happy for Renault to finish ahead". Not even talking about the degrading comments that come with his frustrations. :lol:

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

_cerber1