Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atanatizante

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Japan:

Mexico:

Sorry for not the best picture available, but what`s that? Kind of protection? Or it`s just the angle view ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 00:14
dans79 wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 21:42
No new photos from Mexico?
Ask and you shall receive :D
Thank you!
197 104 103 7

F1Krof

atanatizante wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 14:08
Japan:

https://postimages.org/

Mexico:

https://postimages.org/

Sorry for not the best picture available, but what`s that? Kind of protection? Or it`s just the angle view ...
No I think it is just the fixed on hurry part where Lecler's stuff hit Lewis' mirror.
Wroom wroom

3jawchuck

Some footage posted to reddit, from the camera on Bottas' car after the accident. Apparently the camera was left on accidentally. Doesn't really show anything though.

https://streamable.com/qvmzh

zibby43

The W10 may not be the fastest car in qualifying, but it is an absolute beast with respect to tire management and race pace. This wasn't even a strong circuit for Mercedes, and their degradation advantage wasn't as big as normal this weekend, but Bottas' ability to keep in touch with VET demonstrated how quick the car ended up being in race trim.

Also, Hamilton's pace given the extent of his floor damage was really impressive.

Furthermore, this race signified a major improvement on the PU cooling front.

Despite Mexico placing an even greater strain on PU cooling architecture, Mercedes did not have to open up the bodywork around the halo to the extent they had to in Austria, and were able to run higher engine modes for longer.

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 00:28
The W10 may not be the fastest car in qualifying, but it is an absolute beast with respect to tire management and race pace. This wasn't even a strong circuit for Mercedes, and their degradation advantage wasn't as big as normal this weekend, but Bottas' ability to keep in touch with VET demonstrated how quick the car ended up being in race trim.

Also, Hamilton's pace given the extent of his floor damage was really impressive.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EH6ekaxX4AM ... name=large

Furthermore, this race signified a major improvement on the PU cooling front.

Despite Mexico placing an even greater strain on PU cooling architecture, Mercedes did not have to open up the bodywork around the halo to the extent they had to in Austria, and were able to run higher engine modes for longer.

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 653-51.jpg
yes so true, they keep fixing its flaws and making it better and better. and yes they could give Lewis maximum power at the end couldn't they, which he probably needed to help keep his tyres in

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
The W10 may not be the fastest car in qualifying, but LEWIS :wink: is an absolute beast with respect to tire management and race pace. This wasn't even a strong circuit for Mercedes, and their degradation advantage wasn't as big as normal this weekend, but Bottas' ability to keep in touch with VET demonstrated how quick the car ended up being in race trim.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A

zibby43 wrote:
I suspect a slightly different reason as to why it is not fastest in qualifying, of course other than being draggy. They keep setting up the car more biased towards medium tyres, while Ferrari and RB bias more towards softs. If you would have seen their tire choices, it's apparent. So that in races, they can run harder and longer on mediums without bothering about baby sitting, which is required for the Softer ranges. Hence, at least, Lewis can sit so close behind the cars all the time and yet when the car in front pits, he can push and get more time out.

I guess they are putting focus more on gaining race benefits with much better tire life than qualifying. I don't think they can overtly depend upon this as with these cars, track position also becomes very important. But without a doubt, W10 is the best race car on the grid. I am also sure, with Ferrari's apparent straight line speed, which makes life difficult for Mercedes as it's almost impossible to overtake them, the next year's car should ideally come with similar race benefits, but improved qualifying capabilities.

zibby43

Good points @GPR-A and @Izzy

I'd say Bottas did a pretty good job of staying attached to VET, wouldn't you, @PlatinumZealot?

Better photo of the floor damage:

LM10

Any figures as to how much time per lap this damage cost him?

MtthsMlw

LM10 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 21:08
Just a guess, somewhere between 1 and 3 tenths I would say, more towards 1 though.
The very sensible part right in front of the rear wheel is still intact albeit still compromised.
Also depends on how well you can cope with the now less stable rear end.

zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 21:19
LM10 wrote:
Just a guess, somewhere between 1 and 3 tenths I would say, more towards 1 though.
The very sensible part right in front of the rear wheel is still intact albeit still compromised.
Hamilton was quoted as saying 2 tenths per lap, so you pretty much nailed your estimate range.

Big Tea

GPR -A wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 18:44
zibby43 wrote:
I suspect a slightly different reason as to why it is not fastest in qualifying, of course other than being draggy. They keep setting up the car more biased towards medium tyres, while Ferrari and RB bias more towards softs. If you would have seen their tire choices, it's apparent. So that in races, they can run harder and longer on mediums without bothering about baby sitting, which is required for the Softer ranges. Hence, at least, Lewis can sit so close behind the cars all the time and yet when the car in front pits, he can push and get more time out.

I guess they are putting focus more on gaining race benefits with much better tire life than qualifying. I don't think they can overtly depend upon this as with these cars, track position also becomes very important. But without a doubt, W10 is the best race car on the grid. I am also sure, with Ferrari's apparent straight line speed, which makes life difficult for Mercedes as it's almost impossible to overtake them, the next year's car should ideally come with similar race benefits, but improved qualifying capabilities.
But are they choosing the tyre they prefer, or the tyre that seems to work best for them?
Possibly they would prefer to run softs but know they will be knackered by lap 4 and no point striving for pole on them?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

Motorsport.com wrote:Lewis Hamilton has made some changes to the steering wheel of his Mercedes W10 in order to help him get off the line better at the start of races. The Brit now has more of wishbone-style clutch paddle on the right-hand side of his steering wheel, similar to the one we’ve seen Ferrari use for a number of years now, whilst on the left-hand side he has a much shorter socket in which to place his fingers. Since the change, he’s taken to using a different approach on race starts though, as can be seen from onboard footage. Rather than using the left socket, he grasps the upper corner of the steering wheel, perhaps to get the kind of leverage and feel he desires when operating the right-hand clutch paddle.
Motorsport.com wrote:Valtteri Bottas has retained the original steering wheel design that both he and Lewis started the season with, enabling him to use either the left or right clutch paddle at the race start to launch the car.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

zibby43 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 21:46
MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 21:19
LM10 wrote:
Hamilton was quoted as saying 2 tenths per lap, so you pretty much nailed your estimate range.
James Allison in the debrief for the race mentioned the damage to the floor + front wing endplate cost Hamilton about 0.1 second a lap.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare