2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
DiogoBrand

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

They did show some renders of how cars can look different, and they also mentioned that scrutineering is going to be done via CAD drawings provided by the teams, and then they'll do some scans to make sure the car actually corresponds to the drawings.
I'll be interested to see how that works.

TheRacingElf

Anything about DRS?

DiogoBrand

About regulations allowing for creativity and differentiation between the cars, I think us fans have to decide what's really important: If the rules allow for as much creativity as they do now (and I admit, it isn't much already), we'll just continue to see several seconds a lap of difference between the leaders and the backmarkers.

With as much emphasis being put into making every team more competitive with each other, the only way to achieve this is to have as close as possible to a spec series.

Every decision will have its benefits and drawbacks, and I guess we'll just have to accept that no set of regulations will please everyone.
TheRacingElf wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:07
Anything about DRS?
No.

Holm86

I'm still hugely disappointed that they didn't do anything on the engine side. I'm fine with keeping they current layout, but at least up the fuel flow and rpm a bit.
It annoys me when Ross Brawn is being so hypocritical, saying they need to think of the environment, when the engines in F1 are already best in class when it comes to TBE, and the cars are the least polluting thing of the F1 circus

Wass85

Yes, they are keeping DRS. If the cars are easier to follow DRS will make it even more of a borefest. I'm telling you they are not wired up right, atrocious decision making.

GM7

TheRacingElf

Wass85 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:14
Yes, they are keeping DRS. If the cars are easier to follow DRS will make it even more of a borefest. I'm telling you they are not wired up right, atrocious decision making.
If that's true that they are keeping DRS while coming up with regulations that allow better following they are indeed mental...We will get even more boring "overtakes" on the straights where a driver only pushes a button. What's the whole point of making cars easier to follow then?!

jjn9128

TheRacingElf wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:07
Anything about DRS?
3.10 Rear Wing
3.10.1 Rear Wing Profiles
Bodywork declared as “Rear Wing Profiles” must:
a. Lie within RV-RW-PROFILES.
b. In any Y plane:
i. Contain exactly two sections, except outboard of Y=550 where a single section will be allowed.
ii. The rearmost section, which will be known as the “RW Flap”, must have a chord smaller than the chord of the adjacent section where one is present.
iii. The section(s) may not contain any concave radius of curvature smaller than 100mm
iv. Where there are two sections, the distance between the two sections must lie between 10mm and 15mm at their closest position, except, in accordance with Article 3.10.10, when this distance must lie between 10mm and 85mm when the DRS system is deployed.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

RZS10

last one shows which parts will/might be spec
Last edited by RZS10 on 31 Oct 2019, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

Wass85

TheRacingElf wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:16
Wass85 wrote:
If that's true that they are keeping DRS while coming up with regulations that allow better following they are indeed mental...We will get even more boring "overtakes" on the straights where a driver only pushes a button. What's the whole point of making cars easier to follow then?!
It has been confirmed pal. Honestly there's more brains on the Rippers hammer. Why the hell will drivers attempt a risky overtake when they will be able to follow closer right before the DRS line......

MtthsMlw

Great info. Looks promising, doesn't look too restrictive at a first glance.
The wheel winglets seem to be spec.

RZS10

Central part of the floor and the area around the rear tyres as well

ENGINE TUNER

Holm86 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:08
I'm still hugely disappointed that they didn't do anything on the engine side. I'm fine with keeping they current layout, but at least up the fuel flow and rpm a bit.
It annoys me when Ross Brawn is being so hypocritical, saying they need to think of the environment, when the engines in F1 are already best in class when it comes to TBE, and the cars are the least polluting thing of the F1 circus
Adding fuel flow WILL NOT increase rpm, especially with more distance per PU required because of more race weekends. These are already the most powerful race day engines in F1 history, there is absolutely no reason to increase fuel flow.

ENGINE TUNER

Wass85 wrote:
DRS zones are(already) adjustable in length, all the way down to 0m. There is no reason to take it off the car, especially if you might need it since the tires are still pirelli garbage.

MtthsMlw

The DRS actuator is included in the list of spec parts according to AMuS, I wonder how that would work with this RW design without real endplates.