2019 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 1-3 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: 2019 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 1-3 November

RZS10 wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 23:57
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 17:49
Kimi gave Hulk just enough space to keep 1 tire on the white line, that is all that is required from both parties
Where did the notion come from that this is all that is needed?

You are ON TRACK when you touch the line with any tyre, yes - but as to "leaving space" ...

"Any driver [...] should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track [...] For the avoidance of doubt, the track edges [are] defined by white lines"
Read the rest of the rule that you quoted, that is written for a very specific circumstance that does not fit this situation. Kimi left more than enough room for Hulk to be considered "on track". Hulk did not use that room even though Kimi gave it to him, penalty deserved.

RZS10

The "more than enough room" part isn't true in the first place - Kimi himself drove right up onto the white line, how do you fit another car there? Unless you want to argue that if they touched wheels Hulk could have theoretically been able to fit 1cm of tyre on there.

You can see Kimi's car on the line in both the team radio and best onboards video.

But anyways...

"2. Overtaking, car control and track limits
b) Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be carried out on either the right or the left. A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
However, manoeuvers liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited. Pushing or other contact resulting in a lasting advantage is strictly prohibited. Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the Stewards.
c) Drivers must use the track at all times. Should a car leave the track for any reason, and without prejudice to 2(d) below, the driver may re-enter the track. However, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage. For the avoidance of doubt, the track edges may be defined by white lines, tyre stacks, marker poles or other devices defined by the Race Director if appointed by FIA or the clerk of the course during the briefing. A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track, where lines indicate the track edge, or should the car pass behind"

That's the full quote ... how does that exclude the situation they were both in?

Kimi was defending through the corners 12, 13 and 14 - arguably the inside line Kimi took between 13/14 is the "defensive" line - the actual racing line is closer to Hulk's, using the outside curb between 13/14 and then slightly touching the curb exiting 14 on the left - so Kimi had been forced off-line and went back to the racing line out of corner 14.

There were other overtakes into 15 where drivers stuck to the outside through 13/14 like Hulk and were left enough space on track, which clearly did not happen here.

And if you believe he should have backed out ... at which point should Hulk concede? He's slightly ahead into 14 (and on the racing line) and fully alongside at the apex...

I think the decision was harsh (there was no 'penalty') and it was really bad how long they took to tell him afterwards which cost him a lot more time than needed.

ENGINE TUNER

RZS10 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 02:14
The "more than enough room" part isn't true in the first place - Kimi himself drove right up onto the white line, how do you fit another car there? Unless you want to argue that if they touched wheels Hulk could have theoretically been able to fit 1cm of tyre on there.

You can see Kimi's car on the line in both the team radio and best onboards video.

But anyways...

"2. Overtaking, car control and track limits
b) Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be carried out on either the right or the left. A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
However, manoeuvers liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited. Pushing or other contact resulting in a lasting advantage is strictly prohibited. Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the Stewards.
c) Drivers must use the track at all times. Should a car leave the track for any reason, and without prejudice to 2(d) below, the driver may re-enter the track. However, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any advantage. For the avoidance of doubt, the track edges may be defined by white lines, tyre stacks, marker poles or other devices defined by the Race Director if appointed by FIA or the clerk of the course during the briefing. A driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with the track, where lines indicate the track edge, or should the car pass behind"

That's the full quote ... how does that exclude the situation they were both in?

Kimi was defending through the corners 12, 13 and 14 - arguably the inside line Kimi took between 13/14 is the "defensive" line - the actual racing line is closer to Hulk's, using the outside curb between 13/14 and then slightly touching the curb exiting 14 on the left - so Kimi had been forced off-line and went back to the racing line out of corner 14.

There were other overtakes into 15 where drivers stuck to the outside through 13/14 like Hulk and were left enough space on track, which clearly did not happen here.

And if you believe he should have backed out ... at which point should Hulk concede? He's slightly ahead into 14 (and on the racing line) and fully alongside at the apex...

I think the decision was harsh (there was no 'penalty') and it was really bad how long they took to tell him afterwards which cost him a lot more time than needed.
After reviewing the onboards it does indeed seem like Kimi took the full width of the track to the white line. For some reason, or just maybe in my mind, the overhead helo/crane shot showed alot more space(maybe a front tire's width). That I will absolutely concede. Strange, time to get the peepers checked. On the onboards I am unable to determine if Hulk was fully off track before or after Kimi touched the line.
Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
This refers to straight line braking battles into corners, hence the first and last phrases "moving back towards the racing line" and " approach to the corner".

In the midst of a side by side battle thru a set of corners, if any driver has a "significant" amount of their car next to the other's on the entry of the corner. Then they must be given space to remain on track thru the middle and exit. Notice how teammates follow the rules just fine when battling, but then turn into Mad Max beyond Thunderdome when a different team's car is involved. I blame the FIA, who are too busy regulating helmets to establish, publish and enforce all complete list on racing rules which should cover F1 down thru the junior categories.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 01:23
Wass85 wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 23:42
zibby43 wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 22:25

James Vowles confirmed it today. You can watch for yourself.

https://youtu.be/uzwyFgTNarc
Yes, it was only for his first run though. They rectified it for his second run but he couldn't improve.
No one improved on their second run did they?
Yes, I believe Max and Charles did.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 07:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Yes, it was only for his first run though. They rectified it for his second run but he couldn't improve.
Could you post their times please?

Even our own forum summary says this:
Q3 was a tense affair, with the first laps proving those that count, as nobody actually managed to improve later on in the second attempts. This meant that Valtteri Bottas snatched pole position for Mercedes, topping Sebastian Vettel by just 0.012s.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 09:38
Wass85 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 07:34
Just_a_fan wrote:

Could you post their times please?

Even our own forum summary says this:
Q3 was a tense affair, with the first laps proving those that count, as nobody actually managed to improve later on in the second attempts. This meant that Valtteri Bottas snatched pole position for Mercedes, topping Sebastian Vettel by just 0.012s.

I can't find the times for their first runs, I'm 99% certain Verstappen and Leclerc improved on their second runs.

Wass85

http://youtu.be/yAdisdY48XQ

Here it is, I was right.

Hamilton just didn't have the speed in qualifying.

zibby43

Wass85 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
05 Nov 2019, 20:54

Has the team stated how much time he lost?

No, they didn't.

Wass85

zibby43 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 10:02
Wass85 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

No, they didn't.
Yes they did Volwes stated so.

He said they noticed the problem as soon as Lewis came in at the end of the first run.

zibby43

Wass85 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 10:03
zibby43 wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

No, they didn't.

He said they noticed the problem as soon as Lewis came in at the end of the first run.
There's a difference between noticing a problem, and fixing it.

NathanOlder

zibby43 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 10:07
Wass85 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

No, they didn't.

Vowles did say they fixed it straight away when he returned to the garage after his first run in Q3.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wass85

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 10:09
zibby43 wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Vowles did say they fixed it straight away when he returned to the garage after his first run in Q3.
Thankyou.

Wass85

You would have thought the that Lewis would have improved on his second run because of the problem in the first run.

Either the problem wasn't that bad or Lewis just had a really poor qualifying, either way Q3 was very lacklustre.

zibby43

NathanOlder wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

"A mechanic spotted it immediately the second the car had come back in." - James Vowles.

Nowhere in the video (which I posted in this thread) did I hear Vowles say they fixed it.

And then you have the slightly conflicting testimony of when the team truly understood the extent of the problem:

"Hamilton hadn’t yet realised the crucial contributory cause of his sub-par couple of laps in Q3. “Sometimes you just don’t hit it. The start of my first lap was going really well but then I lost time on the exits of Turn 11, 12 and 13. On my second I abandoned after I lost a load of time at Turn Eight.” Subsequent investigation by the team centred around why his brake bias was constantly changing, as revealed on the telemetry. It was only then it was realised that he had inadvertently knocked off the bias switch cover, thereby allowing the bias to change whenever his hand made contact with it."

Regardless of whether they did fix it after the first run (who knows whether they had time to remove the wheel and perform a reliable fix in between Q3 runs), it's immaterial, as the first Q3 runs turned out to be the decisive ones, as the drivers that did improve on their second runs only did so marginally on the deteriorating track.

Wass85

zibby43 wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 10:15
NathanOlder wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

"A mechanic spotted it immediately the second the car had come back in." - James Vowles.

Nowhere in the video (which I posted in this thread) did I hear Vowles say they fixed it.

And then you have the slightly conflicting testimony of when the team truly understood the extent of the problem:

"Hamilton hadn’t yet realised the crucial contributory cause of his sub-par couple of laps in Q3. “Sometimes you just don’t hit it. The start of my first lap was going really well but then I lost time on the exits of Turn 11, 12 and 13. On my second I abandoned after I lost a load of time at Turn Eight.” Subsequent investigation by the team centred around why his brake bias was constantly changing, as revealed on the telemetry. It was only then it was realised that he had inadvertently knocked off the bias switch cover, thereby allowing the bias to change whenever his hand made contact with it."

Regardless of whether they did fix it after the first run (who knows whether they had time to remove the wheel and perform a reliable fix in between Q3 runs), it's immaterial, as the first Q3 runs turned out to be the decisive ones, as the drivers that did improve on their second runs only did so marginally on the deteriorating track.
I think it's safe to say Volwes would have emphasised that if they didn't fix it in time.

It's not immaterial really as those drivers that made small improvements didn't have problems on their first run.

You would think Lewis would have made a substantial improvement after his problem was fixed.