McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL34

will be interesting to see, we are normally at that time of the year, where mclaren introduce next years fw design, but if they change concept, maybe they will not test it this year. And what about their nosecone design, stay or go? Lastly, williams and now Haas introduced mcl, fer, TR style frontwings, will others?? maybe redbull? and will mclaren keep or go the rb way. Looking at the new 2021 aero rules, would it not make more sense to keep their current design which resembles the 2021. And also it seem ferrari and mcl both had success making the frontend stronger, which was the worry earlier in the year.
Last edited by f1rules on 01 Nov 2019, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

_cerber1

Nonserviam85 wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 14:01
michl420 wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 12:24
If I unterstand that graph corect power limited means Corner with full throttle. This would suggest only ferrari running with more power. (or the others don't have the power)
Or they have more downforce which induces more drag that requires more power to maintain the speed...
Most likely, the Friday McLaren motors are very old, and can not develop high power.

Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 14:18
will be interesting to see, we are normally at that time of the year, where mclaren introduce next years fw design, but if they change concept, maybe they will not test it this year. And what about their nosecone design, stay or go? Lastly, williams and now Haas introduced mcl, fer, TR style frontwings, will others?? maybe redbull? and will mclaren keep or go the rb way. Looking at the new 2021 aero rules, would it not make more sense to keep their current design which resembles the 2021. And also it seem ferrari and mcl both had success making the frontend stronger, which was the worry earlier in the year.
Agree with this, good points raised.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PlatinumZealot

michl420 wrote:
If I unterstand that graph corect power limited means Corner with full throttle. This would suggest only ferrari running with more power. (or the others don't have the power)
Not exactly. Power limited is exaclty the opposite. It corners where you have to limit the amount of throttle you use or else you will break traction thereby taking the corner slower. So these are corners that you have to feather the throttle to prevent excess wheels slip.
Mainly corner exits from slower corners.

Ferrari has supreme traction out of the corners and continue to make gains on the straights. The Haas and Sauber dont seem to be displaying this sort of ability so its a bit more than just the engine I fear.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

izzy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 00:52
michl420 wrote:
Not exactly. Power limited is exaclty the opposite. It corners where you have to limit the amount of throttle you use or else you will break traction thereby taking the corner slower. So these are corners that you have to feather the throttle to prevent excess wheels slip.

Ferrari has supreme traction out of the corners and continue to make gains on the straights. The Haas and Sauber dont seem to be displaying this sort of ability so its a bit more than just the engine I fear.
i get your intuition but 'power limited' means the limit on the laptime there is power/drag, instead of grip as in in the slow/medium/fast corners. The chart is a progression from slow to easy flat. They're corners that are really like straights for these cars (there's a cool F1 word for them i can't remember)

it is pretty striking that the Macs are so slow in them, and the works renaults aren't that great either

trinidefender

PlatinumZealot wrote:
michl420 wrote:

The original poster is actually correct and you are wrong, power limited corners are corners where you drive around with the throttle pinned such as 130R at Suzuka.

What you are describing is literally every other corner that is covered by the slow, medium and high speed graphic.

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 02:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
michl420 wrote:

The original poster is actually correct and you are wrong, power limited corners are corners where you drive around with the throttle pinned such as 130R at Suzuka.

What you are describing is literally every other corner that is covered by the slow, medium and high speed graphic.
The word "straights" is too simple to use in the graph?

Ok. I will give u guys that one.
Traction limited is what i was describing..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

trinidefender

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 02:16
trinidefender wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Saying straights isn't correct either, as power limited encompasses both straights and corners that can be taken flat. Different cars scrub off, or accelerate at different amounts of speed in a power limited corner.

On a power limited corner, excess downforce will cause you to run slower through a power limited corner compared to another car that can also take the corner flat but has less drag (assuming the PU is putting out the same power for that corner on both cars).

diffuser

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 02:16
trinidefender wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

OMG PZ! Where have you been? On gardening leave wit PL ?

godlameroso

_cerber1 wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 07:24
Amazing progress =D> =D> =D>

Australia 2019
https://radikal.ru

Mexico 2019
The biggest step forward in my opinion was ditching that stupid plate that was there for seasons.

They've really come a long way, and it looks like they're on the right trajectory as they keep finding chunks of time.
Saishū kōnā

trinidefender

godlameroso wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 06:50
_cerber1 wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 07:24
Amazing progress =D> =D> =D>

Australia 2019

Mexico 2019
The biggest step forward in my opinion was ditching that stupid plate that was there for seasons.

https://i.postimg.cc/28DgBQ5W/Dz-Xa1-L6-Xg-AAy3u-W.jpg

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 164372.jpg

They've really come a long way, and it looks like they're on the right trajectory as they keep finding chunks of time.
I don't know if you've heard but they've openly stated what their problem was last season. It was the distance between the front wheels and floor edge + front of the sidepod.

In yaw they were getting dirty air interfering with their floor and around the sidepod. This was causing rear instability and downforce loss mid corner.

They have evidently increased that space and distance by a fair margin for this season. It's not down to one small detail piece like you claim.

godlameroso

Of course one part does not a car make. But you have to find it curious how quickly they adopted the plate-less version. It took all of 1 practice session to determine the version with no plate was better.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM

Not really, they've emulated what that plate was doing with two similar ones in the new bargeboard setup.

godlameroso

PhillipM wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 16:59
Not really, they've emulated what that plate was doing with two similar ones in the new bargeboard setup.
You mean added an extra chicken wing element? The new BB has 3 vs the old one with 2 + plate.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
PhillipM wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 16:59
You mean added an extra chicken wing element? The new BB has 3 vs the old one with 2 + plate.
He means that the concept simply has evolved from previous season... Obviously it will be different to work with the rest of the bargeboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk