2019 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 15-17 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10

Re: 2019 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 15-17 November

Restomaniac wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 01:56
Sevach wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 01:32
Juzh wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 22:33
bottas vs leclerc
https://streamable.com/gc15x
https://streamable.com/gc15x
Ferrari vs Merc in terms of power you can see Ferrari gains a lot uphill before the DRS zone.
That would be a brand new Ferrari Vs a Mercedes that we now know was on its
last legs. Correct?
The question we all are asking ourselves is how much peak power an old engine lacks compared to a fresh one. The general consensus is that the difference is quite little. What puts an old engine in a disadvantageous position is that you will use it in lesser modes during a race. We can hear on the team radio that Bottas was told to go into Strat mode 5 and that's the highest mode Mercedes uses in races generally. So for a couple of laps we saw peak power vs. peak power and, as I told, the question remains how much juice the old engine has lost regarding peak power.

Whatever the answer is, the way Leclerc pushes up the hill and away from Bottas (used Hards vs. fresh Mediums) in the non-DRS zone looks quite powerful.

Restomaniac

LM10 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 02:12
Restomaniac wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 01:56
Sevach wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 01:32

Ferrari vs Merc in terms of power you can see Ferrari gains a lot uphill before the DRS zone.
That would be a brand new Ferrari Vs a Mercedes that we now know was on its
last legs. Correct?
The question we all are asking ourselves is how much peak power an old engine lacks compared to a fresh one. The general consensus is that the difference is quite little. What puts an old engine in a disadvantageous position is that you will use it in lesser modes during a race. We can hear on the team radio that Bottas was told to go into Strat mode 5 and that's the highest mode Mercedes uses in races generally. So for a couple of laps we saw peak power vs. peak power and, as I told, the question remains how much juice the old engine has lost regarding peak power.

Whatever the answer is, the way Leclerc pushes up the hill and away from Bottas (used Hards vs. fresh Mediums) in the non-DRS zone looks quite powerful.
Yes but remember that Bottas’ engine went up in a blue cloud not long after. I think it’s safe to say that it wasn’t on top form.

Restomaniac

RZS10 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 01:29
I'm rather surprised that Mercedes did not see how much oil their car was burning, that must've shown in the telemetry ...

And yea ... it would be just like Indycar where one SC leads into the next ... some of the races are just a bunch of ads interrupted by a string of SCs, but maybe they want to target that audience ... lol
They did. The word from Mercedes was that it’s consumption went up ‘very sharply’ for about half a lap before the retirement.

Phil

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 19:47
If Masi said that he is either misled, incorrect or lying. The vsc was instituted for this exact situation to replace the "waved double yellow flags", in order to take it out if the driver's hands to slow down sufficiently and put it in race control's hands.
Masi is in charge and responsible. It’s easy to argue in hindsight and criticize. In the heat of the moment, all that was clear was that a crane was going to be necessary to lift the car out from where it was stuck and with limited footage, hard to know beforehand how the crane would effectively be positioned. The decision to bring out the safety car was made beforehand, at a best guess as to the potential dangers and the best course of action to mitigate that risk.

Perhaps, a VSC could have been called before hand as a “lets see first”, but given some of the crashes we have had this year, i cant fault him either way.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

saviour stivala

Restomaniac wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 02:09
On that issue according to motorsport.com Bottas’ engine will return to Brixworth and be stripped and checked before a decision is made. Am I wrong in that I thought that if an engine is taken apart then it’s not classed as the same unit? I mean aren’t ICEs pretty much classed as a sealed unit according to the regs and replacing anything or even stripping them down is a no-no?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bott ... i/4600133/
Totally correct and 2-d-point man. Goes to show that no matter the status of the article writer and the site carrying the article or better say pushing-out the article, F1 followers needs sieve through what they reading carefully.
“After consultation with relevant power unit suppliers the FIA will attach seals to each of the relevant elements of the power unit prior to them being used for first time at an event in order to ensure that no significant moving parts can be replaced. Within two hours of the end of the past parc ferme additional seals will be applied to all used power unit elements in order to ensure that they cannot be ‘run’ or ‘dismantled’ between events”.

Andres125sx

Sieper wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 00:57
Maybe towing cables at each exit station. Connected to a simple winch. Then they can pull the car back behind the barrier. Stick a sled under it If you must.
That´s actually a pretty good idea!

aral

A simple idea but really unworkable. the car would have to stop in exactly the right position and after a crash into barriers, the likelihood of that happening would be minimal. then there is still the danger of having people on the run off areas to attach cable etc. having a crane (which can be moved) behind the barriers, as at present, is the best solution.
the rules for sc and vsc were created in the interests of safety and like them or not, we have to accept them. all the teams are happy with these rules, so why should we be questioning them?
we dont want to get into the old football arguments where the "ref is always wrong" ! only the losers complain

Wass85

Why don't the stewards use some sort of trolley jack to remove cars that can't be pushed, something simple like that is an easy and fast solution.

etusch

Restomaniac

Interesting situation here. Apparently Ferrari and others had parts seized at Interlagos.

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/119 ... 74242?s=21

Sorry I don't know how to link a tweet directly.

izzy

Andres125sx wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 08:35
Sieper wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 00:57
Maybe towing cables at each exit station. Connected to a simple winch. Then they can pull the car back behind the barrier. Stick a sled under it If you must.
That´s actually a pretty good idea!
Yes this would be a breakthrough, and so simple! A rope, would be non-conducting. Insulated clip, towing eye on the rear crash structure, waved yellows, more proper 300km races =D>

izzy

Restomaniac wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 11:27
Interesting situation here. Apparently Ferrari and others had parts seized at Interlagos.

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/119 ... 74242?s=21

Sorry I don't know how to link a tweet directly.
omg :shock:

tho i suppose we shouldn't prejudge the outcome

saviour stivala

Wass85 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 11:08
Why don't the stewards use some sort of trolley jack to remove cars that can't be pushed, something simple like that is an easy and fast solution.
Using a trolley jack will help/work to remove a car (push behind fence) if the car stops on smoot tarmac/ground. but not on grass or Gravel run-off aria.

Wouter

etusch wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 11:10
:D :lol: =D>
The Power of Dreams!