Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PowerandtheGlory

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

toraabe wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 11:18
JordanMugen wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 22:50
Jambier wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 18:45
the Renault engine if reliable and run at high mode is a performant one.
I mean, it is very decent and not so far from the best.
It's certainly a solid unit. So why the heck did McLaren not continue the Renault deal? :(

Price and much easier installation
Yes- i'm told that price is part of the equation. Renault is quite pricey...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

trinidefender

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 11:51
toraabe wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 22:50

It's certainly a solid unit. So why the heck did McLaren not continue the Renault deal? :(

At the advent of the hybrid PU era the Renault unit was more expensive than the Mercedes unit (confirmed by Matthew Carter who was the boss of the Lotus team for a few years). With Renault's performance compared to other PU manufacturers I imagine the price would have come down to lower than Mercedes.

Unless you have more recent sources? Please do tell....

PowerandtheGlory

trinidefender wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 20:28
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 11:51
toraabe wrote:

At the advent of the hybrid PU era the Renault unit was more expensive than the Mercedes unit (confirmed by Matthew Carter who was the boss of the Lotus team for a few years). With Renault's performance compared to other PU manufacturers I imagine the price would have come down to lower than Mercedes.

Unless you have more recent sources? Please do tell....
I think horner used to moan about how much he paid for the renault PU, about €29 m i think the merc is €25... there is an article. Worth a google search
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

NL_Fer

Renault has a good engine, on equal to Merc this year. But I suspect HPE from Brixworth is just a better partner for McLaren, than the French.

GhostF1

NL_Fer wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 23:23
Renault has a good engine, on equal to Merc this year. But I suspect HPE from Brixworth is just a better partner for McLaren, than the French.
Source?
Renault themselves have already claimed they've made minimal gains to performance and focused solely on reliability over the winter and that updates during the season, that will also be the case.

So what you're claiming seems to be opposite Renault themselves, interested to hear which outlet wrote that up...

PowerandtheGlory

We obviously dont know where the engimes are 2020.. but last year the renault was strong. If they have thr ability to run higher modes for longer then they will be a decent package. The merc hs apparently made gains over winter... but also some reliability issues.. lets see how conservative the merc guys are in Oz.. im going to guess they run at 90%..

Jambier

Renault using only one PU for all the winter testing for both McLaren and Renault works team.
This really is a good achievement for them with the issue they had in the past =D>

They are keeping a "low profile" on engine side, and I like it.
I think they work more peacefully and can deliver a very decent engine both this year and the futures one.

Now of course they need to really focus on chassis side

toraabe

It is just a shame that it took them too long to get it right...

PowerandtheGlory

toraabe wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 15:42
They aren't the only manufacturer caught in that loop.... "Hond-errrrrrr....."

diffuser

NL_Fer wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 23:23
The way RP/Merc, RBR/AT and Ferrari/HaaS are pairing up ....I'm starting to beleive a partnership with Renault might have been a better deal. If it could have been on equal footing... They could have had real input into future PU formula. At this point even though McLaren/Merc have had a previous history you got to think that they are behind both williams and RP with regards to priority. I mean the PU will be the same and they'll all get the same service but if something happens and some team has to go, they'll be lowest on the todem pole.

scarnegie96

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 15:52
toraabe wrote:
Being Fair though, Honda started development late 2013/early 2014. Renault had years of lead time on them and took until after Honda had sorted reliability to get on top of it.

It would be sweet if it was Renault and Honda on top this year of the 4 engine manufacturers, with Ferrari and Mercs problems.

PowerandtheGlory

scarnegie96 wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 16:31
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
toraabe wrote:
Being Fair though, Honda started development late 2013/early 2014. Renault had years of lead time on them and took until after Honda had sorted reliability to get on top of it.

It would be sweet if it was Renault and Honda on top this year of the 4 engine manufacturers, with Ferrari and Mercs problems.
I think general consenus would say.. in the hybrid era there have been 2 engines. Merc and ferrari. (Even though early renaults were reliable)
Honda arrived and took some Mclaren and TR years to get ready, won 3 races. Renault were doing the same in tge last year with RB.
Till honda or renault can win regularly, they will be behind..
Fingers crossed though

GhostF1

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 00:59
scarnegie96 wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 16:31
PowerandtheGlory wrote:

I think general consenus would say.. in the hybrid era there have been 2 engines. Merc and ferrari. (Even though early renaults were reliable)
Honda arrived and took some Mclaren and TR years to get ready, won 3 races. Renault were doing the same in tge last year with RB.
Till honda or renault can win regularly, they will be behind..
Fingers crossed though
Apples and Oranges to be honest, if you take everything into account.... One very clearly got their act together with significant progress each year after admitting to entering too early and underestimating the formula and then being released from their confinements imposed by a certain team... The other, actually championed for these regulations early on and had years of development lead time and yet still stumbled along season to season and as of last season, still had reliability issues across various components, to the point other manufacturer overall is pretty obviously now ahead. (Yes 2020 testing is a great sign but not enough just yet!)

I agree, seeing these two actually take position's 1 and 2 across all 4 engines would be fantastic. And seeing as though Ferrari admitted their 2020 engine is weaker than last year, maybe this is possible, although only one gives me the confidence from the past two year that they'll challenge the top dogs. And it's not French..

aral

For some reason, this thread has been taken off topic to discuss the Honda PU. I would remind you that the title of the thread is the RENAULT PU, so please restrict comments to this. Thanks

michl420

I dont't think any PU Producer make modifications for their customer. They design the engine to suit the works team and the customer have to deal with it.