McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
_cerber1

Re: McLaren MCL35

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

M840TR

With the first few races of the season effectively called off, I wonder how this effects the car's development cycle?

The team adopted an incremental updates approach last year after establishing a good foundation which seems to have translated to 2020 as well. Will they stretch the updates over the whole season now or introduce several in one go after the races start?

Macklaren

M840TR wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 14:43
With the first few races of the season effectively called off, I wonder how this effects the car's development cycle?

The team adopted an incremental updates approach last year after establishing a good foundation which seems to have translated to 2020 as well. Will they stretch the updates over the whole season now or introduce several in one go after the races start?
its good that they will have more time for development (as long as the team remains focused).
There is talk that the season will extend into 2021 and the new set of rules get pushed out to 2022 so may be some life left in the MCL35 yet.

Balalu

Hopefully that does not happen. It would put McLaren in no man's land with its Mercedes/Renault engine situation.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

PlatinumZealot

M840TR wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 14:43

No realy way to test the developments unless they ask for "Spring testing".
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Blackout

This means MCL is using the lower intake of their roll hoop to feed the turbo (purple) and is using the top intakes to feed the cooling rads (ERS, Gbox etc). So it's the contrary of Renault.
And those rads seem to hang above the engine and above the turbo/engine duct/airbox (purple), while Renault put them between the engine and turbo duct...
The MCL layout seems to be less optimal CoG-wise... but maybe the aim is to give a much thinner neck to the rollhoop...
It's quite similar to Alfa https://i.imgur.com/AX3eg7I.jpg but maybe the MCL rads are placed more forward

PlatinumZealot

They carried over the cooling layout they had when they used the Honda engine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

michl420

The McLaren cooler is much bigger. But what i like About the Renault version, is the possibility to use a single duct for the engine intake and a cooler.

Blackout

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 19:26
They carried over the cooling layout they had when they used the Honda engine.
I would say they reverted back to the first version of the spine cooling layout of 2015 :P
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9AgT_eIEAAB90v.jpg

SmallSoldier

Nice picture by @albertfabrega

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder

Posts about next Years Chassis changes have been moved to the Team Thread. ;)
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

_cerber1

e36jon

That's a great picture.

Their rocker/spring setup is unique this year with the visible cross brace. If you look at the spring cylinders for the rockers they are much taller than others, but since they are probably using a similar torsion spring assembly to everyone else I think what we are seeing is that the system has just been moved 'out' from the chassis (Shown well by the photo.). Since things aren't buried in the tub anymore they had to add back the structure with the cross brace. Or I'm completely wrong.

Jon

godlameroso

McLaren ALMOST has their bargeboard setup on point. They just need a little tweaking to the outer edge. Nice chunk of time right there.
Saishū kōnā