COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
3jawchuck

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

strad wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 23:32
So now we have young people hosting Corona Virus Parties?
Others going through supermarkets making videos of themselves licking random goods on the shelf? Anything for attention?
Seriously? Covidiots!!
Not covidiots. Don't give that stupidity a --- catchy name, they are plain idiots.

I've seen videos from the US of massive gatherings of idiots under the banner of pride and not giving in. The same from my home nation of the UK, and have witnessed in person the same idiocy in my current home of Finland, just plain idiotic people ignoring good practice.

Of course most people are likely to be fine when all is said and done, but why on earth would you want to risk harming friends, family and others who are in a risk group? Getting pissed is more important than keeping your nanna and granddad safe? More important than potentially leading to the harm of a stranger?

i70q7m7ghw

Big Tea

So are we likely to see a Chinese owned/controlled F1?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 00:03
strad wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 23:32
So now we have young people hosting Corona Virus Parties?
Others going through supermarkets making videos of themselves licking random goods on the shelf? Anything for attention?
Seriously? Covidiots!!
apparently there was a 73-year-old saying it'll all be over in time for Easter, just goes to show!

but seriously there's a lot of awesomeness going on too, like the various ventilator projects and people looking after each other and all the research. It depends where you look, what you see. Tho yes some people get carried away. Last year they discovered selfies are 5 times more dangerous than sharks! It's all so much like F1, a mixture of awesomeness, cockups, frustration, but ultimately people winning collectively with cooperation, that's what we're going to see, even with Orange Donald doing his best to annoy the country that makes most of the medical gear
There is an amazing number of volunteers offering to assist here. As well as a national effort and a regional effort there are neighbourhood avocations come together from no existing hub. We had a flyer through the letterbox today that a group of locals will do shopping and collect medication for anyone who is self isolating,in the highest risk group etc and will even pay and settle up when they deliver so there is no risk of scam. Every one gives their phone number and all are local and known.

I am impressed with many, especially NHS who know exactly what they are risking but do it anyway.
If any are reading this (Adrian?) A BIG shout out to you all. Heroes.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

Don't give that stupidity a --- catchy name,
I didn't. It's been out there and is in the urban dictionary. I agree that they are incredibly stupid and that they obviously don't care who they kill.
Here they caught one licker of goods and intend to charge him with domestic terrorism.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

A BIG shout out to you all. Heroes.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pyrone89

ajdavison2 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 16:08
Wass85 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 15:09
The longer this goes on the harder it will be for Hamilton to match and break Schumacher's records.
I think the opposite to be fair, if the Merc chassis is as good as what is rumoured this year, and thereby next year as well due to the chassis freeze then I'd say Hamilton is almost a Schu in (lol I'm sorry) for titles 7 and 8.
He will get two extra titles. Nothing can stop Mercedes but perhaps the budget cap.
Our only hope is that Max gets a Mercedes drive (and thus finally a fair chance) but that wish has been smashed with the contract extension (which I still find unheard of). But do to the nature of the way these titles were basically handed to him by the Merc absolute dominance (most dominant team in history by FAR) he will in the future not perse been seen as an equal to Schumacher (2 years of car dominance) or Fangio.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 00:54
There is an amazing number of volunteers offering to assist here. As well as a national effort and a regional effort there are neighbourhood avocations come together from no existing hub. We had a flyer through the letterbox today that a group of locals will do shopping and collect medication for anyone who is self isolating,in the highest risk group etc and will even pay and settle up when they deliver so there is no risk of scam. Every one gives their phone number and all are local and known.

I am impressed with many, especially NHS who know exactly what they are risking but do it anyway.
If any are reading this (Adrian?) A BIG shout out to you all. Heroes.
Yes same here, lots of people helping other people and our supermarket is quite quiet and with tape on the floor marking out distances at the checkout

I think most of us are going to get it tho, in fact i might have it who knows! Sore sinuses, is all. I'm not going out in any case so it hardly makes any difference, luckily. I'm betting it'll mutate itself into something milder in the end

mclaren111

Idea...

Allow British based teams to test at Silverstone and the others in Italy (Ferrari's test track) after the summer break...

Four teams in week one spaced far away from each other and no contact allowed between teams...

Second week the other 4 teams... Duration of 4 Days...

nzjrs

mclaren111 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 10:11
Idea...

Allow British based teams to test at Silverstone and the others in Italy (Ferrari's test track) after the summer break...

Four teams in week one spaced far away from each other and no contact allowed between teams...

It was mentioned by another poster, but teams don't get paid for testing, and it costs money.

Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 01:10
Don't give that stupidity a --- catchy name,
I didn't. It's been out there and is in the urban dictionary.
strad, I didn't think you'd be a reader of the urban dictionary. How very "down with the kids" of you! 8) :wink:

:lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mclaren111

nzjrs wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 10:18
mclaren111 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 10:11
Idea...

It was mentioned by another poster, but teams don't get paid for testing, and it costs money.
Thx... Did not see post...

kimetic

Big Tea wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 00:46
My first reaction to this idea was "Oh No!" but everyone seems to have a factory in China now, I see Daimler are reopening theirs as the epidemic apparently dies down there. The virus started off as 'China's fault' but now it seems they're beating it first and contributing genetics and analysis.

Perhaps a Chinese owned F1 could work, as they become more mainstream as it were. They could well do the technology better.

Capharol

kimetic wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 11:29
Big Tea wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 00:46
My first reaction to this idea was "Oh No!" but everyone seems to have a factory in China now, I see Daimler are reopening theirs as the epidemic apparently dies down there. The virus started off as 'China's fault' but now it seems they're beating it first and contributing genetics and analysis.

Perhaps a Chinese owned F1 could work, as they become more mainstream as it were. They could well do the technology better.
they are beating it first because they got it first ..... very simple math

strad

strad, I didn't think you'd be a reader of the urban dictionary. How very "down with the kids" of you!
Sir Stirling Moss