Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are Schumacher's WDC and Win records under threat of being eclipsed?

Will the 7 WDC record be broken?
3%
Will the 91 Victory record be broken?
26%
Neither record will be broken.
12%
Both records will be broken.
59%

Total votes: 172

sosic2121

Re: Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

I have forgotten what happened in Silverstone.
In Baku they had the same issue,and Rosberg found the solution much quicker than Hamilton. That's all I wanted to say.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 09:49
Wass85 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 01:18

Yes he did but you don't think Schumacher being over 40 has some bearing on that?
No.
I think you're wrong there tbh especially when he'd been out the sport for years. The latter though probably affected him more than his age.

Just_a_fan

sosic2121 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 09:36
izzy wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 18:58
what's the evidence he understood the car better?
IMO it was Canada 2014 and Baku 2016.
In Canada they both had issue with breakes. IIRC Rosbreg managed to finish 2nd without MGUK, also testament how superior Merc PU was that season.

Baku happened when it was forbidden for engineers to instruct drivers what to do. Rosberg easily changed setup of the car while Hamilton just didn't know what to do.

"So was Rosberg, who is known to be the superior engineer among the Mercedes drivers, merely a bit cleverer? Niki Lauda, Mercedes’ nonexecutive chairman, suggested so when he said that both drivers had the same problem but the German was quicker dealing with it." article from The guardian
This could be indicative of Rosberg's "Year of the Big Push" where he immersed himself totally in the job of winning the title. It's possible that he just spent more time going through the systems with his engineers and remembered something from that during the race. The car's systems are so complicated that he couldn't sit there during the heat of a race and thing "well, that bit's connected to that bit which does this, so if I twiddle this and then that, it'll make that do this" in response to a random failure.

Again, that's "well done" to Rosberg for being better prepared. And it's an indication of what is required to win against a guy who is usually just a little bit better, as a driver, almost all the time. Taking that better understanding of the car to help offset the better natural speed of your competitor is "a good thing to do" and well done to him and his engineers for doing so.

I'd guess that Rosberg probably had more interest in the technology than Hamilton did right from the start. He apparently enjoyed maths and the sciences at school. Hamilton appeared to enjoy sport at school. Ron Dennis made Hamilton finish his education as a condition of helping him in racing, if I remember correctly. I doubt Rosberg needed such encouragment.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 10:03
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 09:49
Wass85 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 01:18

Yes he did but you don't think Schumacher being over 40 has some bearing on that?
No.
I think you're wrong there tbh especially when he'd been out the sport for years. The latter though probably affected him more than his age.
Sadly, we can't ask him what he thinks about it. :cry:

Just_a_fan

sosic2121 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 09:56
In Baku they had the same issue,and Rosberg found the solution much quicker than Hamilton. That's all I wanted to say.
The team gave Rosberg help over the radio and as a result, the stewards gave him a 10 second penalty which meant he lost 2nd place and came 3rd behind Hamilton and Max.

The rules were changed because some drivers were been extensively coached from the pitwall. Ironically, Rosberg was one of the drivers that was being coached. I remember him asking where Hamilton was quicker, corner by corner, and his engineer telling him lots of info and giving suggestions to brake here or turn in later there.

izzy

sosic2121 wrote:
izzy wrote:
In Canada they both had issue with breakes. IIRC Rosbreg managed to finish 2nd without MGUK, also testament how superior Merc PU was that season.

Baku happened when it was forbidden for engineers to instruct drivers what to do. Rosberg easily changed setup of the car while Hamilton just didn't know what to do.

"So was Rosberg, who is known to be the superior engineer among the Mercedes drivers, merely a bit cleverer? Niki Lauda, Mercedes’ nonexecutive chairman, suggested so when he said that both drivers had the same problem but the German was quicker dealing with it." article from The guardian
Oh okay, rosberg was more 'academic' tho Baku wasn't about that it was the engine changing its modes automatically every few laps, and one mode was faulty. With rosberg the change happened just as he was doing something so he noticed and manually changed to the next mode, while with Lewis it changed without him noticing so all he knew was the clipping

Niki also said Lewis trashed his hotel room i wouldn't take what he used to say literally always! He could just as easily have been teasing rosberg

Anyway I'm not sure this amounts to understanding the car better, it's more different kinds of intelligence they had. Lots of people used to say JB was more intelligent but it's not binary like that, there's a video somewhere I'll have a look in a bit. Lewis' mind is very fast for example, but i think he's a bit dyslexic

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 10:13
sosic2121 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 09:56
The team gave Rosberg help over the radio and as a result, the stewards gave him a 10 second penalty which meant he lost 2nd place and came 3rd behind Hamilton and Max.

The rules were changed because some drivers were been extensively coached from the pitwall. Ironically, Rosberg was one of the drivers that was being coached. I remember him asking where Hamilton was quicker, corner by corner, and his engineer telling him lots of info and giving suggestions to brake here or turn in later there.
From what I recall Hamilton would have been better off having received the penalty than trundling along left to his own devices, I'm sure he lost more than 10 secs at Baku.

izzy

Here's a fun video with Jenson. They're just playing around but you can feel if anything Lewis knows his way around it a bit better

Wass85

izzy wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 10:42
Here's a fun video with Jenson. They're just playing around but you can feel if anything Lewis knows his way around it a bit better
On track though Button rang rings around Hamilton when reading a race.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 10:58

That's one of those throw away lines again. The sort of thing the media like to say but then not back up in real way.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 11:06
Wass85 wrote:

That's one of those throw away lines again. The sort of thing the media like to say but then not back up in real way.
Just look at the calls over the 3 years they were paired together. Button was much more willing to use his own instinct and make calls for himself, be that in race situations or setups.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 11:14
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Just look at the calls over the 3 years they were paired together. Button was much more willing to use his own instinct and make calls for himself, be that in race situations or setups.
Unless you've got the complete radio transcripts for every race for both drivers, you don't know who decided what and when.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 11:35
Wass85 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Unless you've got the complete radio transcripts for every race for both drivers, you don't know who decided what and when.
Ok i don't have all the evidence but seeing them partnered you get to see the picture.

PlatinumZealot

sosic2121 wrote:
izzy wrote:

Lack of research again.
Lewis' Engineer adressed to the public what really happened. After the problem with Lewis, which was lieterally a problem of confusing menus and commands, worse than using DOS, they figured out what to do so that when the problem showed up on Rosberg's car they could then tell him easily the exact menus to fix the problem.

Again. Do your research on "dossier gate" and "switching mechanics" gate before stating that Rosberg understood the car more than Lewis. It is a very weak claim when there are races like Monaco 2016.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

Wass85 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

I agree, i've always been a great fan of Button and i'm honestly happy he got a title,
to be honest, it was the most enjoyable title i've seen winning in a long, long time.

Yes, Hamilton definately is a better racer. So is Schumacher and i very much believe so is Alonso.
Though it's very much true that a good deal of his success was down to the car, but let's face it,
isn't that always the case? Yes he was the right guy at the right place, that is a good deal of luck there,
but he did manage to put it in a title.

He held his own against Hamilton in the same team with the same car and he did quite well against Alonso too,
so i honestly feel that is a lot to say for him.

And i do fully agree that Jenson's pure 'speed defecit' compared to for example Lewis, was greatly made up by his skill to read the race, lets say tactics. I'd concider Button more the Prost, and Lewis more the Senna.
Hamilton learned a lot from Button, and it undoubtedly added to Hamilton's current success, making him a more complete driver.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"