[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
TAG

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 12:36
TAG wrote:
29 Apr 2020, 15:24
Another really good video from Mercedes. It's remarkable to have this kind of transparency about the difficulties. Maybe they're simply being transparent because all teams go through the same issues. But I don't think we've ever gotten this before.

I'd like more sir.

https://youtu.be/s23m3HzjXSU
Interesting info about the simulations they run before each race dropped in to the talk. Talking of a huge numbers of simulations which I guess means they're running a Monte Carlo simulation based on best guess starting points. And then running them during the weekend to fine tune the scenario as tyre and track data, relative competitor performance data, etc. become available.
In the millions. That's pretty wild, but it's clear they're also keenly looking at the performance of rivals trying to extrapolate what they can for them as well.

It's stuff like this that people not account for when Verstappen came out with his comments about Ferrari's mysterious power gains after the summer break and Hamilton at the end of the season said it was 30 extra hp out of thin air.

Circumstantial evidence is always circumstantial, so there's no proof; but you don't need to know that a flag planted on the surface of the moon means Kilroy was there.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

adrianjordan

saviour stivala wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 08:44
The difference in the shares the totonator bought this time is. He has this time invested in a company that competes in the same segment the company he represents competes in.
Doesn't Mercedes also own shares in Aston Martin anyway?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

qatmix

Yes, they own about 6% similar to the amount Toto has acquired.

Dipesh1995

Something that I’m sure a lot people will find of interest.

sprint car76

This driver shuffle complicates things for Toto. If he was thinking of moving russell into the team in place of bottas next year that door has closed. Seems now more likely it will be in 2022 when the new formula starts. With these latest moves bottas is going to be in a tough spot to find a ride with most of the good rides gone unless red bull decides to give him the #2 role.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

AMG.Tzan

Mercedes need to get their act together and get a youngster in their car!

Both Ferrari and Red Bull now have fast drivers under 25 years old...yet both Mercedes's drivers are over 30 years old! Hamilton is reaching the end of his career and Bottas isn't going to be a team leader i think! Maybe it's time to get Russell in there by 2021?

Problem is Russell doesn't have Sainz's or Verstappen's 5 years of experience...but another 2-3 years with Lewis and he can get there both in terms of speed and consistency! Ocon could have been a good option but i don't see him leaving Renault now...or could he? Like Danny Ric!

What do you think? Any young driver suggestions for Mercedes?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Just_a_fan

I'd like to see Russell in the Mercedes alongside Hamilton. One way or another it'll sort his career. He'll either sink and be made to look average or he'll be quick enough to be close to Hamilton. If he can be fast enough to pressure Hamilton, his career prospects will be excellent. If he stays in the Williams then he's at risk of being ousted by someone with more money behind them before his true potential is shown.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 May 2020, 10:43
Mercedes need to get their act together and get a youngster in their car!

Both Ferrari and Red Bull now have fast drivers under 25 years old...yet both Mercedes's drivers are over 30 years old! Hamilton is reaching the end of his career and Bottas isn't going to be a team leader i think! Maybe it's time to get Russell in there by 2021?

Problem is Russell doesn't have Sainz's or Verstappen's 5 years of experience...but another 2-3 years with Lewis and he can get there both in terms of speed and consistency! Ocon could have been a good option but i don't see him leaving Renault now...or could he? Like Danny Ric!

What do you think? Any young driver suggestions for Mercedes?
I tend to see it as take it while the going is good. Planning for 3 years down the line would have been a bad strategy in 2018 and could have lost them one or two titles on the chance of getting one more, which may not be run as we expected.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

I think they will try to sign Hamilton at least until Verstappen’s contract is done at RedBull, keeping their options open and further develop Russell.
A young ambitious driver in the team is only the good way to go if you have room for his development. They tend not to fit the supporting driver role very often. Just look at LeClerc and Verstappen last few seasons.
If you have a dominant team leader, best to keep your youngsters safe in a satellite team until you can make the switch. Else you get Mansell-Piquet, Senna-Prost of Hamilton-Alonso.

Hamilton is still performing at a very high level and doesn’t seem to need a challenge within the team.

ENGINE TUNER

HAM and BOT are very close in size, RUS and OCO are very tall. Merc should keep their current lineup for at least 2 more years for several reasons. Merc should have offered RUS to McLaren, but he may be too inexperienced to pair with NOR. Seems like the Merc young guns are going to need to be patient.

siskue2005

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
20 May 2020, 17:55
HAM and BOT are very close in size, RUS and OCO are very tall. Merc should keep their current lineup for at least 2 more years for several reasons. Merc should have offered RUS to McLaren, but he may be too inexperienced to pair with NOR. Seems like the Merc young guns are going to need to be patient.
The new rule from 2019 onwards on the weight of the seat and driver was changed to give same advantage to the taller and bulkier driver as the smaller drivers, so it doesnot have any significance as before

dans79

siskue2005 wrote:
20 May 2020, 18:06
The new rule from 2019 onwards on the weight of the seat and driver was changed to give same advantage to the taller and bulkier driver as the smaller drivers, so it doesnot have any significance as before
Weight is only part of the equation. The drivers actual height also has design ramifications.
197 104 103 7

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
20 May 2020, 18:09
siskue2005 wrote:
20 May 2020, 18:06
Weight is only part of the equation. The drivers actual height also has design ramifications.
For the past seasons both Russell and Ocon drove the different cars without much trouble, so don’t think it’s a big issue at the moment