[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Jolle wrote:
20 May 2020, 18:13
dans79 wrote:
20 May 2020, 18:09
siskue2005 wrote:
20 May 2020, 18:06
The new rule from 2019 onwards on the weight of the seat and driver was changed to give same advantage to the taller and bulkier driver as the smaller drivers, so it doesnot have any significance as before
Weight is only part of the equation. The drivers actual height also has design ramifications.
For the past seasons both Russell and Ocon drove the different cars without much trouble, so don’t think it’s a big issue at the moment
we don't know that for sure, as we have no good benchmarks to compare them to.
197 104 103 7

ENGINE TUNER

Jolle wrote:
dans79 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
20 May 2020, 18:06
The new rule from 2019 onwards on the weight of the seat and driver was changed to give same advantage to the taller and bulkier driver as the smaller drivers, so it doesnot have any significance as before
Weight is only part of the equation. The drivers actual height also has design ramifications.
For the past seasons both Russell and Ocon drove the different cars without much trouble, so don’t think it’s a big issue at the moment
Ah yes, I remember that RUS tested quite well in a Merc designed around HAM and BOT, so they may indeed have plenty of space in the cockpit. Good call, although that may no longer be the case with DAS

Merc has a very good, if not the best, lineup on the grid and breaking it up would be foolish. Here is where we will see the effectiveness of the decision making of upper management.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YnrNTtTKxk
Martin Brundle with Lewis talking about winning and losing at Monaco. Some great insights in to Lewis's mentality, how much it all means etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

adrianjordan

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
20 May 2020, 19:23
Jolle wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Ah yes, I remember that RUS tested quite well in a Merc designed around HAM and BOT, so they may indeed have plenty of space in the cockpit. Good call, although that may no longer be the case with DAS

Merc has a very good, if not the best, lineup on the grid and breaking it up would be foolish. Here is where we will see the effectiveness of the decision making of upper management.
What are the rules around monocoque/driver survival cell dimensions? Are they standardised, or would a team with shorter/smaller drivers have more flexibility to shape the monocoque to their advantage?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ENGINE TUNER

adrianjordan wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 02:48
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
20 May 2020, 19:23
Jolle wrote:

What are the rules around monocoque/driver survival cell dimensions? Are they standardised, or would a team with shorter/smaller drivers have more flexibility to shape the monocoque to their advantage?
I believe that there is a minimum width required and a minimum cockpit opening size, but the length may be more open to design variation, as well as the footwell.

Then there is sight lines to take into consideration.
HAM once mentioned that 1mm raise in seat height affected his field of view immensely, but given his propensity for exaggeration it is difficult to discern how credible it was.

Just_a_fan

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 04:36

HAM once mentioned that 1mm raise in seat height affected his field of view immensely, but given his propensity for exaggeration it is difficult to discern how credible it was.
I think it was more than 1mm...but the point was that raising the seat gave better vision (as expected) and this made things easier. I would expect it's the same for all drivers: the teams will want them as low as possible for aero and CoG requirements. I do wonder if some drivers' propensity to be hamfisted around others is due to them being made to sit so low by the team that they can't see enough.

ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 08:20
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
01 Jun 2020, 04:36

I think it was more than 1mm...but the point was that raising the seat gave better vision (as expected) and this made things easier. I would expect it's the same for all drivers: the teams will want them as low as possible for aero and CoG requirements. I do wonder if some drivers' propensity to be hamfisted around others is due to them being made to sit so low by the team that they can't see enough.
I specifically remember himm saying "about 1mm", but I am getting old, so I could be misremembering.

<Off topic stuff removed>

subcritical71

Hywel Thomas, F1 Power Unit Director for Mercedes-AMG HPP - "There's a peak power, somewhere around 10,500 and 11,000"

Morteza

He answers some really nice questions in his very interesting way :)

bill shoe

Morteza wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 12:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuhJoX64MU
Awesome discussion from James. Too many interesting points to mention, but he has a wonderful ability to give specific and clear answers without giving away proprietary info from his team.

Big Tea

Interesting what he says about the new 18inch wheels. I thought I was the only person in the world that thought it was a bad change, he seems unsure
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

bill shoe wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 16:45
Morteza wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 12:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuhJoX64MU
Awesome discussion from James. Too many interesting points to mention, but he has a wonderful ability to give specific and clear answers without giving away proprietary info from his team.
Agreed, an excellent video. What it shows is a very intelligent man who knows his subject inside out. As the idiom goes: if you can't explain a complicated thing in a simple way then you don't understand it yourself. He obviously understands it all very deeply.

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 18:27
Interesting what he says about the new 18inch wheels. I thought I was the only person in the world that thought it was a bad change, he seems unsure
You're not alone: I think it's a bad move too. And, it appears, the teams likely do too as he explains - the current tyres are much better from a Formula 1 performance perspective than the new "fashion tyres" will be. There are people on this forum who claim that the lower profile tyres are better on their road cars and thus F1 should run them. But road cars are very much not F1 cars and you can't compare them in such a simple way.