Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TheFluffy

Re: Ferrari SF1000

dren wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 14:11
They spent the time trying to sort out issues with the car they had in testing. Makes sense before you dump a bunch of upgrades on it, which are coming in 3 races. There is the chance, although unlikely, that the upgrades Mercedes and RB are bringing will not work as intended. I wouldn't write Ferrari off just yet. They've been in the mix the last several seasons.
To be honest even though it seemed that in 2019 that they have been in the mix, it was more because of the engine rather than the chassis. You can see that even though they may dominate qualifying, in races they tend to drop back as their pace is just not as strong and in race trim the engines more or less equal out between the top 3. For 2017 and 2018 I agree with you. But since changing the front wing regulations it doesn't seem Ferrari have a strong grip on the regulations.

Ringleheim

TheFluffy wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 16:58
dren wrote:
They spent the time trying to sort out issues with the car they had in testing. Makes sense before you dump a bunch of upgrades on it, which are coming in 3 races. There is the chance, although unlikely, that the upgrades Mercedes and RB are bringing will not work as intended. I wouldn't write Ferrari off just yet. They've been in the mix the last several seasons.
To be honest even though it seemed that in 2019 that they have been in the mix, it was more because of the engine rather than the chassis. You can see that even though they may dominate qualifying, in races they tend to drop back as their pace is just not as strong and in race trim the engines more or less equal out between the top 3. For 2017 and 2018 I agree with you. But since changing the front wing regulations it doesn't seem Ferrari have a strong grip on the regulations.
When was the last time Ferrari did anything that suggested a shrewd understanding of technical regulations and some clever innovation missed by everyone else?

They have been in a catch-up role for years, which explains their dearth of recent championships, drivers or constructors.

I wish it was different but it's not.

TheFluffy

Ringleheim wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 19:53
TheFluffy wrote:
dren wrote:
When was the last time Ferrari did anything that suggested a shrewd understanding of technical regulations and some clever innovation missed by everyone else?

They have been in a catch-up role for years, which explains their dearth of recent championships, drivers or constructors.

There are quite a few..., they had a lot of engineering ideas for the 2017 regulation change. The T wing they were first to implement it, the high rise sidepod structure, the lengthy slots on the floor, the innovative mirror design in 2018, two pylon rear wing structure, the fins on the floor that Red Bull just tried out this year was first implemented in USA 2018. Honestly its more the combination that made them fail. For 2017 I would say development, luck, driver error and engine weakness lost them the championship, but chassis wise it was very good. 2018 it was more or less the same with in combination of strategy mistakes.

LM10

Ringleheim wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 19:53
TheFluffy wrote:
dren wrote:

Ferrari has brought innovations all over the field in 2017 and 2018 that this question sounds nothing more than ironic. High side pods being the most eye catching ones which have been copied by all teams already.
Their 2017 car was clearly the best on the grid aerodynamic/chassis wise. What cost them the championship were different factors such as strategical mistakes, driver mistakes and power deficit. In quite a few races it simply was Mercedes’ power advantage which put them infront.

zibby43

The high-top side pod inlets were a great/clever/fresh reading of the rules. Even Merc switched to them this year, finally, after reaching the max development path for the traditional location.

And when Allison was at Ferrari, they were one of the best in the field in tire management. He’s taken that knowledge to Merc now.

Some photos from Austria (via AMuS):

wowgr8

Xwang wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 18:44
TheFluffy wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 17:59
If what Mattia said is true then it is going to be another rough season for Ferrari. (He said "Therefore we decided to come up with a new programme that looked at the whole car, knowing that not all of it would be ready for the first race. Our aim is to introduce the updates at the third race on 19 July at the Hungaroring.")

It is a shame that it took them after the lockdown break to decide to go on a new development plan. I think the main reason why they are doing this is because they realised that they have another season with these cars so its worth trying to go a completely different path.

If this is the case, 3rd in the constructors in the early part of the season is the best they can do.
So last year they didn't understand enough the changes of the aerodynamic rules and the management of the less thick tires, they decided not to make updates until they understood the problems and in the end they made some updates at the end of the season postponing to this year all the changes on the chassis part.
Then this year despite the tires and the rules for aerodynamics and the chassis unchanged, they presented a very similar car to the previous one, they managed to make a completely wrong car again and they were also taken by surprise by its low performance?
I hope they are seriously playing a bluff.
They decided against overhauling the SF90 as they were going to put all their eggs in the (then) 2021 car basket. The pandemic then messed everyone's plans up, now as we're keeping the current car for 2 seasons it makes sense to go in a new direction as the performance wasn't satisfactory

cplchanb

But last year didn't they already say that they knew what the issues were? They didn't make the changes back then because it wouldn't make sense for 2019 but surely they would've applied their lessons learned to this year's car. That is unless they thought they knew but really they didn't

J0ker

Maybe what they don's say is that they are taking a development direction that suits Leclerc's driving style. Las year they needed to make balance in the development that was compatible to both drivers, and this year they are giving all to the one driver with the longer contract and IMHO the more adaptable driving style, as we saw last season, Leclerc was better and more comfortable with the car.
"Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push."

jumpingfish

SF1000 vs SF90 in FP2

from @Fred__18

Just_a_fan

SF1000 has more downforce, the old car more power. About what we'd expected isn't it?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jumpingfish

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 16:48
SF1000 has more downforce, the old car more power. About what we'd expected isn't it?
that's true and I would be glad to know how many "km/h" can lost the cars with the same engine but with different aerobody: one for maximum downforce and another for speed on straight lines. As it was with RP 2019 and W10 on Monza/Spa tracks

MtthsMlw

jumpingfish wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 16:46
SF1000 vs SF90 in FP2
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcAhrdTWsAI ... name=large

from @Fred__18
Almost as if it's worth to sacrifice drag for downforce looking at the lap times.
RIP Ferrari dragsters 2018-2019

LM10

Now, that's very interesting. Ferrari faster than Mercedes in most of the corners. Either that's a mistake or that Ferrari has a lot of downforce.

jumpingfish

LM10 wrote:
03 Jul 2020, 20:31
Now, that's very interesting. Ferrari faster than Mercedes in most of the corners. Either that's a mistake or that Ferrari has a lot of downforce.
Maybe as SF70H - fast in the corners, but slow on straights, SF71h was a happy medium :)