Renault R29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vyselegend

Re: Renault R29

What an horrible nose! :sick: Damn they shouldn't release such things on lunch time!
The paintjob over the front seems to have been volontary made to underline how fat and squary the nosecone is. The yellow and orange strips don't even meet on the top end, adding to the random aspect of the design. Bad idea to hire opium adicts expressionist painters IMO...

I agree a step back to the twin keel design must have been considered by engineers, since the car will suffer the aerodrag of the two keel-like extentions down the nose. The R28 actually had a sort of channel under the nose, so this design is probably in continuity with it, trying to obtain a "front diffuser phenomena".

imightbewrong

mike

i think they probly pick no keels because over the years they have find so much advances mechanically and therefore they see no point to do a step back at all

vyselegend

That kind of remind me what BMW tested in november:

"Channeling" the air on the underside is probably the first logical step of a very fat nose design...

Also, I know aero doesn't work like it looks to be, but it is very hard to imagine that the lower front part of that nose tip isn't producing lift!

It revives the horrible design of mid 90's Benettons.
Last edited by vyselegend on 19 Jan 2009, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

djos

I've gotta admit, despite the "ugliness" there are a lot of innovative features on the R29! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

i70q7m7ghw

The body work at the rear looks really clever. It appears to be trying to do that same job as the main flip-up we have seen in previous years, channeling air around and over the top of the diffuser... any thoughts?

roost89

That paint job makes the car look quite long. It seems alright to me.
I must admit the front wing took me by surprise, I thought the nose cone was similar to a ships hull. Very interesting design though.
Do the end-plates(underneath the flip-up) curve outward? I haven't been able to work it out properly
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

i70q7m7ghw

What's going on behind that 'ump! Looks interesting under there...

vyselegend

That little hole just in front of the rear wheel on Diesel's pic, do you think it's an adaptation of last year tyre heating device (the one diverting some of the exhaust heat)?

Shaddock

roost89 wrote:That paint job makes the car look quite long. It seems alright to me.
I must admit the front wing took me by surprise, I thought the nose cone was similar to a ships hull. Very interesting design though.
Do the end-plates(underneath the flip-up) curve outward? I haven't been able to work it out properly
It looks like the whole end plate curves inwards slightly allowing the top flip-up to push the air to the inside of the wheel, and the bottom section pushes it around the outside the wheel.

enkidu

It does grow on you from some angles... It does not look as compact as some of the other designs but you can see where they are trying to flow the air on it. I can't wait for the start of season now!

Agerasia

I made a crude drawing below.

I suspect it's creating a box underneath the nose to reduce drag and lower pressure a long way along the bottom edge of the nose section.
In principle it appears to have the same function as Ferrari's nose cone hole.
Any uplift created would be countered by the benefits it provides.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

Scania

jamsbong

is it me or the R29 has a very different rear body shape compared with others. Ferrari and others all try to slim down the cross section area as much as possible right after the side port. The R29 appears to deliberately kept the rear body wide. WHY?

Also, how come there is a shark fin? I thought body aeros are banned.

i70q7m7ghw

jamsbong wrote:is it me or the R29 has a very different rear body shape compared with others. Ferrari and others all try to slim down the cross section area as much as possible right after the side port. The R29 appears to deliberately kept the rear body wide. WHY?

Also, how come there is a shark fin? I thought body aeros are banned.
See this post for my thoughts:-

viewtopic.php?p=90859#p90859