2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:42
Zynerji wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:37

They couldnt time the fueling, as the pods would be of variable fullness. A cart with 2 fittings could be filling the pods as the car is on track, and the competition has zero knowledge until more data becomes available (post pit laptime).
Where would these pods be fitted? The current fuel tank location is the safest place in the whole car and it's in the very centre of the car. Presumably your pods would go in the sidepods somehow? How to make them crash proof?
While using the old refueling nozzle locations, I bet they could make a deep enough "cup" that pods could slide into, with some sort of automated retainment mechanism. One square foot is like 28L of fuel. that would be 56L max at any time, so 2 stops of a variable refill. I'm sure with pods that small, they could use the same Kevlar bladders inside them, as they are NOT a high pressure item.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:47
Zynerji wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:43
Jolle wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:09

My prediction how refueling will go:

Mercedes will be near perfect, like clockwork, 95% of the time, predicable, boring, fast.
RedBull will gamble a lot, "win" the other 5% and be hailed as the perfect strategists and that refueling works
Ferrari's will run out of fuel on track
You forget the rest of my Formula tho!!!

Run anything that you want within the formula, as long as you opensource the design before the event. Hopefully with lots of media dissemination following to drive interest and eyeballs to the race. And it would remove 100% of all grey areas. The manufacturers could then move their tech to their road car production as they are not protecting development secrets that cost them billions with no return. I know not many believe in this system, but I must say that, for a living, I disseminate companies into their intrinsic mechanisms, synergize the routes from sourcing to delivery for maximum throughput, and I self balance the pay structures to hyper-align "what is best for the company" and "what is best for the employee". I promise you, it would work, and it would become a Platinum Age.
So.... anything goes? so... uhm... movable wings, giant turbo and multi compound tires?

So I can design a car that follows the leader and blast past them on the last corner with 9G?
Must stay within the current Formula.

So, cant break the limiting aero boxes, engine concept, or safety systems, but anything within them is 100% allowed.

On Thursdays, teams upload all data to a Cloud that Media subscribers could use to drive articles going into Friday, and Fan Access opening after Qualifying through a F1TV subscription. No scrutineering needed, no reverse engineering budgets, no protests. And a team could literally build any competitors car, and fork development from there. The closeness would be spec-like, but the cars would still be bespoke to their teams.

Just common sense, self balancing systems that maximize fan interest, media interaction, track visitors, team development budgets (Minimum cap instead of maximum) and add value to the F1 brand.
Last edited by Zynerji on 14 Jul 2020, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
I disseminate companies into their intrinsic mechanisms, synergize the routes from sourcing to delivery for maximum throughput, and I self balance the pay structures to hyper-align "what is best for the company" and "what is best for the employee".
What? :wtf:

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:00
Zynerji wrote:
I disseminate companies into their intrinsic mechanisms, synergize the routes from sourcing to delivery for maximum throughput, and I self balance the pay structures to hyper-align "what is best for the company" and "what is best for the employee".

https://youtu.be/Ac7G7xOG2Ag
I FIX BROKEN COMPANIES THAT HAVE FAILED DUE TO IDIOTIC POLITICAL DECISIONS CORRUPTING THEIR BEST PRACTICES AND ALLOWING INCOMPETENT LEADERSHIP TO HIDE THEIR INEPTITUDE.

You know, companies like F1.

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I FIX BROKEN COMPANIES THAT HAVE FAILED DUE TO IDIOTIC POLITICAL DECISIONS CORRUPTING THEIR BEST PRACTICES AND ALLOWING INCOMPETENT LEADERSHIP TO HIDE THEIR INEPTITUDE.

Well why didn't you just say that? :wink:

TAG

Re: 2020 Grosser Preis der Steiermark - Spielberg, 10 - 12 July

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 12:57
Vasconia wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 08:41
El Scorchio wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 12:51

So should Marko and Horner get as much grief on here for overhyping their team as Wolff does for downplaying Mercedes' chances?
I am personally really fed up with Toto`s "our competitors are super strong I don´t know if we can win blah,blah,blah..."
The bubble bursts on everyone. His time will come. I saw him completely fall apart under pressure in 2018 when Ferrari and Seb were on a roll. It was Hamilton's brilliance that rescued Mercedes in that little time but it won't last forever and there will be a lot of table smashing in the future. He is not a team leader. Not by a long shot.
Does anyone have an expectation that Mercedes would continue to win championships for ever? At the end of the season, they may wind up with a 7th straight double championship, a feat never before achieved by any team, describing that feat as a bubble?

I would have described it more like of an F1 dynasty. What am I missing?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

3jawchuck

Zynerji wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
Why didn't you just say that? Rather than word salad that makes it look like you're fronting.

Anyway, this is off topic. Although, I can't find where the most recent "Build an F1 rulebook" thread is anymore.

Zynerji

I was trying to give the sense of why these changes would work without being a jerk to the companies that have fed my family for the last 20 years.

I fix things. I balance things. I incentivize things. I wasn't fronting, more adding the support of experience to the thought process.

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:56
Jolle wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 22:47
Zynerji wrote:

You forget the rest of my Formula tho!!!

Run anything that you want within the formula, as long as you opensource the design before the event. Hopefully with lots of media dissemination following to drive interest and eyeballs to the race. And it would remove 100% of all grey areas. The manufacturers could then move their tech to their road car production as they are not protecting development secrets that cost them billions with no return. I know not many believe in this system, but I must say that, for a living, I disseminate companies into their intrinsic mechanisms, synergize the routes from sourcing to delivery for maximum throughput, and I self balance the pay structures to hyper-align "what is best for the company" and "what is best for the employee". I promise you, it would work, and it would become a Platinum Age.
So.... anything goes? so... uhm... movable wings, giant turbo and multi compound tires?

So I can design a car that follows the leader and blast past them on the last corner with 9G?
Must stay within the current Formula.

So, cant break the limiting aero boxes, engine concept, or safety systems, but anything within them is 100% allowed.

On Thursdays, teams upload all data to a Cloud that Media subscribers could use to drive articles going into Friday, and Fan Access opening after Qualifying through a F1TV subscription. No scrutineering needed, no reverse engineering budgets, no protests. And a team could literally build any competitors car, and fork development from there. The closeness would be spec-like, but the cars would still be bespoke to their teams.

Just common sense, self balancing systems that maximize fan interest, media interaction, track visitors, team development budgets (Minimum cap instead of maximum) and add value to the F1 brand.
I like your idea and love the openness. In practice there are some "drawbacks". Although open source in theory should, in some kind of utopian theory stimulate innovation by sharing it, in a place like ultimate competition as F1, slows it. F1 is about having the edge over your competition, for as long as possible (not as much as possible). So, if we had those rules now, Mercedes would have the W11 and would make it just a tenth faster then the RB16. Only bolding on faster parts (and throwing them into the open source bin) if needed. For one season this really doesn't matter that much, because the baseline is quite good, but imagine this system going on since 2014, we would still be racing a slightly undated W05 with a whole field of 99% copies (everything but the latest update), because a F1 car only works if its designed as a whole and you understand the system.

maybe a bit like communism, on paper it looked good (great equality etc), but in practice you're stuck with 50's tech

dans79

They finally released the Lewis & Max side by side qualifying comparison.

197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:42
Wow, into, through and out of T6 was about half a second of the 1.2s on its own. That was mad. Hamilton just got that corner perfect.

rogazilla

Looks like the only corner Max gained was T2. He was losing time everywhere else just about. S2 was horrendous.

Just_a_fan

rogazilla wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:52
Looks like the only corner Max gained was T2. He was losing time everywhere else just about. S2 was horrendous.
A little bit in T8 and a tiny bit between 9 and 10. But otherwise, it was a washout.

Just_a_fan

Onboard of Perez for his overtakes and key moments.

Still think Albon should be penalised for hitting him. Perez had the inside line and was well up alongside by the apex but Albon try to muscle it out around the outside, again. Result was damage to Perez's car and a loss of points. Why isn't that a penalty after last week?

Noticed Stroll giving him a squeeze on the entry to T3 too. Came across towards him in the braking zone, but post-Max moves under braking are now considered acceptable so maybe it is ok.

TAG

dans79 wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:42

Rain is the great equalizer, taking out the engine power discrepancies from the mix so we're left with driver, suspension and chassis.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत