Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
outsid3r

Re: Ferrari SF1000

wowgr8 wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 10:58
outsid3r wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 08:54

The Bad: The car may be fundamentally wrong and Ferrari will probably have to rethink the whole concept. They are yet to understand why the car is slow

The Good: They still haven't introduced the gearbox update so that might bring some stability in the rear when they do (this could explain the sudden snaps of overseer from Vettel's onboard?). They are hoping to get it ready by Hungary.
Are you an Italian speaker? I'm subscribed to that outlet but it's so frustrating not knowing what they're saying and having no way of translating it
Not native but I know Italian quite well. The rest of the video is just explaining what we already know; update to the nose and floor brought forward to last weekend, the aim was to reduce drag which is hurting straight line speed (no mention of any lack of engine power) - the fact that they were not able to test the new parts properly in the dry because of the accident - the gearbox made slimmer for this year to help aerodynamics but resulted in it not being rigid enough and messing with rear suspension settings

timbo

outsid3r wrote:
The Good: They still haven't introduced the gearbox update so that might bring some stability in the rear when they do (this could explain the sudden snaps of overseer from Vettel's onboard?).
I'm not sure the oversteer was caused by the rigidity problem, at least not directly. The snaps occurred on deceleration and the load on the rear is little at this moment. But maybe they have to compromise the setup in some way to compensate for lack of rigidity.

Xwang

outsid3r wrote:
The Good: They still haven't introduced the gearbox update so that might bring some stability in the rear when they do (this could explain the sudden snaps of overseer from Vettel's onboard?). They are hoping to get it ready by Hungary.
I do not know if anyone in this forum has or had direct experience working for a F1 team, but as an engineer I am pretty sure that every team nowadays uses a system engineer approach.
If so I expect that the Ferrari engineering staff emitted a system requirement specification for the gearbox in which, due to the fact that absolute rigidity is not feasible, there is at least a requirement which prescribes the minimum rigidity under certain load condition.
So it is possible that they have discovered that the gearbox does not strictly fulfill the rigidity criteria (and someone of the team member told that to journalists), but we do not know what is the extent of the problem.
If it is huge (the gearbox is a lot less rigid than what was required) then it should be a priority to solve the issue, but if the gearbox deviates only minimally from the requirements it is possible that it do not have any practical effect on the car dynamic behaviour and in such a case a new gearbox could not be needed.

elf341

outsid3r wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 13:01
It could also be down to Ferrari developing a draggier, higher-downforce car thinking that they would race this year with the same power levels of last year
Exactly, I'm convinced that what happened. Their aero is completely out of whack with their power curve. As we know, development at top teams begins at least a year before, not least that new designs are invariably based on the old ones.

Note that this affects everything! You need the high downforce for tyre management, so even though they could pare back dirty downforce and improve their aero efficiency they probably hurt their long-term pace as now they are not managing tyres in the way they simulated.

(as an aside, the potential multi-year non-compliance of Ferrari engine is probably the reason for FIA to not discuss the matter. They do not want to open the can of worms of rewriting 2018 and 2019 championships along with monies distributed. So it is actually in FIA's interest to keep quiet, not Ferraris.)

Thunder

A Bunch of posts have been moved to the Team Thread. Please keep it about the Hardware in here.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

Rather annoying that there are no photographers allowed in the pitlane, we'd know by now if there is some truth to the report by now.

JPBD1990

Possibly a fix to the flexible gearbox issue that has been rumoured, given they mention it won’t be visible?

Blackout

If Ferrari changes the cooling, they must spend two tokens AFAIK because the cooling is amongst the parts that are frozen since Austria FP1. The G-box too. The nose will be frozen later.

f1316

The gear box casing is separate from the box itself, so I don’t think that’s the issue. The motorsport article a few posts up talks more about the type of update they’re looking for - I.e. that their current radiator layout (all in the sidepods and none around the roll hoop as other cars have) is causing a blockage and hence a lot of drag, so moving this around should hopefully reduce their drag -> improve top speed- so I imagine that’s what we can expect.

That article also implies that they saw about two tenths improvement from the Styrian GP update from the dry free practice but that they couldn’t confirm that given the cars crashed in the race.

bosyber

Those two things, gearbox and sidepod blockage are nicely concrete issues to fix, and should be relatively simple to check, though getting to that point might be harder, especially with more or less completely reworking the cooling. Does give some hope the car can be improved during the season. As does that 0.2s from the first bits of aero update, if confirmed in Hungary, that is a big step for aero updates.

joevanni99

F1NAC

MtthsMlw wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 13:13
Rather annoying that there are no photographers allowed in the pitlane, we'd know by now if there is some truth to the report by now.
Does anyone by chance live close to the hungaroring, and owns drone? :D

MtthsMlw