2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Alexf1

Re: 2020 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 10-12 July

Indeed. Thanks. So probably last lap would have been an improvement but still about a second slower than Ham. Oh boy, that RB16 is no Merc

PlatinumZealot

Alexf1 wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 16:02
Indeed. Thanks. So probably last lap would have been an improvement but still about a second slower than Ham. Oh boy, that RB16 is no Merc
Its not just power unit. Braking and mid corner leading into acceleration Max is also losing. Using the car graphic u can sorta see the yoyo effect thru the corners.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Well, it looks like the race on Sunday will be a bit cooler than I thought, but the big surprise is that the race may start on a drying track.

Anxious to see what the cars can do this year around here. This is the true track to judge downforce improvement over last year, since drag doesn't really matter too much for overall lap time. According to Ferrari, their new car is half a second faster around here than last year's despite the reduce engine power.
Saishū kōnā

FrukostScones

I dont get it.
What is RIC'S problem.
He slept and left the door wide open. No matter if STR overshot. RIC send an invitation.
To ask for driver meeting discussion about this is laughable.
Also coming from RIC, a guy who loves to divebomb.
That is a way to lose you your good rep.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15061 ... s-briefing
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

NathanOlder

FrukostScones wrote:
16 Jul 2020, 21:23
I dont get it.
What is RIC'S problem.
He slept and left the door wide open. No matter if STR overshot. RIC send an invitation.
To ask for driver meeting discussion about this is laughable.
Also coming from RIC, a guy who loves to divebomb.
That is a way to lose you your good rep.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15061 ... s-briefing
Ricciardos dive. bombs dont run both cars off the track. And as for the stroll incident, he has every right to complain about that. The door was only really open to a car that was likely to overshoot the corner. If Stroll had managed to stay in control, then he could have make the corner. As far as I can see, everything Ric said is spot on.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

I agree with everything Riccardo said. If he had made the turn, then fine, but Stroll should have given the space back because it was a failed attempt.
Saishū kōnā

Mclarensenna

godlameroso wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 01:51
I agree with everything Riccardo said. If he had made the turn, then fine, but Stroll should have given the space back because it was a failed attempt.
I agree also. Palmer breaks it down very well here.

Andres125sx

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:46
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:43
Could a car be driven flat out to the limit of the tyres with the current fuel usage restrictions? All very well saying "we want tyres that can be driven hard for a full stint" if the car will be lift and coasting for half the race anyway to stay within the fuel limits.
The Merc are winning races while underfueling, the tires are definitely what holds them back in the race. They are lifting and coasting to lower the load on the tires and to recharge the batteries.
I´m late to this so probably it´s been replied, but those are different savings. To save fuel you must lift and coast wich means releasing the throttle sooner than possible. That save some tires too but the most efficient way to save tires is reducing minimum speed in high speed corners, wich are what put more stress on the tires because of downforce. That is not fuel efficient but the contrary, more acceleration needed as the initial speed for next straight is lower (more time spent accelerating)

Vasconia

Re: 2020 Grosser Preis der Steiermark - Spielberg, 10 - 12 July

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 12:57
Vasconia wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 08:41
El Scorchio wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 12:51

So should Marko and Horner get as much grief on here for overhyping their team as Wolff does for downplaying Mercedes' chances?
I am personally really fed up with Toto`s "our competitors are super strong I don´t know if we can win blah,blah,blah..."
The bubble bursts on everyone. His time will come. I saw him completely fall apart under pressure in 2018 when Ferrari and Seb were on a roll. It was Hamilton's brilliance that rescued Mercedes in that little time but it won't last forever and there will be a lot of table smashing in the future. He is not a team leader. Not by a long shot.
The team is so strong in every aspect that he doesn´t need to be a top leader, this is the reality.

3jawchuck

Schuttelberg wrote:
He is not a team leader. Not by a long shot.
What makes you say that?

Just_a_fan

Vasconia wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 08:38
Schuttelberg wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 08:41

I am personally really fed up with Toto`s "our competitors are super strong I don´t know if we can win blah,blah,blah..."
The bubble bursts on everyone. His time will come. I saw him completely fall apart under pressure in 2018 when Ferrari and Seb were on a roll. It was Hamilton's brilliance that rescued Mercedes in that little time but it won't last forever and there will be a lot of table smashing in the future. He is not a team leader. Not by a long shot.
The team is so strong in every aspect that he doesn´t need to be a top leader, this is the reality.
The team is where it is because of Toto's leadership, not in spite of it. He's helped to build the structures and put the people in place and empower them to do their jobs well.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

There is a point to be made, that Toto inherited a lot from his predecessor (Brawn), but even after his departure, the team has enjoyed unprecedented success through one major rule change (2017).

I’s also put the managing of two very competitive drivers (Rosberg/Hamilton) down to his success and not letting the team tear itself apart.

He has said the right things in the press, both drivers (Bottas and Hamilton) are happy and motivated, the team has continued to dominate and even in times of mistakes, the handling of those has been nothing short of exemplary.

I attribute this all to Toto. IMHO he deserves most part of the credit. One could say that Hamilton also deserves some part of the credit for getting those wins in 2017 & 2018, but it took the team around him to make it happen.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ENGINE TUNER

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 08:04
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:46
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:43
Could a car be driven flat out to the limit of the tyres with the current fuel usage restrictions? All very well saying "we want tyres that can be driven hard for a full stint" if the car will be lift and coasting for half the race anyway to stay within the fuel limits.
The Merc are winning races while underfueling, the tires are definitely what holds them back in the race. They are lifting and coasting to lower the load on the tires and to recharge the batteries.
I´m late to this so probably it´s been replied, but those are different savings. To save fuel you must lift and coast wich means releasing the throttle sooner than possible. That save some tires too but the most efficient way to save tires is reducing minimum speed in high speed corners, wich are what put more stress on the tires because of downforce. That is not fuel efficient but the contrary, more acceleration needed as the initial speed for next straight is lower (more time spent accelerating)
It also lowers the maximum braking load, and lowers wear on tires and brakes. Downforce is not necessarily what causes the most damage/degradation on these pirellis, they are more susceptible to sliding and overheating. In general, the cars with more downforce are better on their tires.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 10:37
Vasconia wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 08:38
Schuttelberg wrote:

The team is where it is because of Toto's leadership, not in spite of it. He's helped to build the structures and put the people in place and empower them to do their jobs well.
No. He just took over what was built by Ross Brawn.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM

The whole point of the way the Merc team is structured is that multiple people have authority at any one level, so that Toto *doesn't* have to take the lead on everything. It's the sort of structure that can go south very quickly with the wrong people (too many chefs problem) but works great if you have a team of incredibly skilled people who gel at every level. I'll give Toto some of the credit for that, definately.