2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ringleheim

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

Wynters wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 16:43
Shrieker wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 16:25
Was the crash Kvyat's fault ? Didn't look like it and Martin Brundle certainly didn't think so either, but Daniil was apologizing profusely on the radio, which is somewhat confusing.

edit: This article says he was busy with the switches, and just lost it on a kerb at high speed. IF that's indeed the case, ouch.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniil-kv ... ash-cause/
He references hitting the red kerb. Looking at the footage, he didn't hit it. I think he was distracted and has no idea what happened so, because he was distracted, he blamed himself.
If you watch the replay over and over (as I did), it really does look like something happened to the tire/suspension as it was kind of flapping around and not sitting correctly on the upright, just split seconds after he started to lose control.

It's possible that could have been the result of his error and not the case of it, but I don't think so. I'm siding with Brundle's take on this one.

ENGINE TUNER

TheFluffy wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 19:51
I am not sure if this has been discussed before. But why wasn't Gasly asked to give back the position to Vettel (or give a time penalty) His overtake was clearly off the track. Is this one of the examples that FIA only tend to focus on giving penalties more on the front of the grid. Shouldn't Ferrari be screaming to the FIA about that or they just dont seem to care much about Vettel?
Gasly cleanly passed Vettel, Vettel tried to repass gasly and in doing so pushed gasly off track, gasly kept his position because Vettel pushed him off track. It's hard to reconcile because the entire confrontation was only showed once. Showing just the final part makes it look like gasly passed by going off track when in fact he had already passed Vettel a couple corners earlier.

ENGINE TUNER

Ringleheim wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 20:47
Wynters wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 16:43
Shrieker wrote:
Was the crash Kvyat's fault ? Didn't look like it and Martin Brundle certainly didn't think so either, but Daniil was apologizing profusely on the radio, which is somewhat confusing.

edit: This article says he was busy with the switches, and just lost it on a kerb at high speed. IF that's indeed the case, ouch.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniil-kv ... ash-cause/
He references hitting the red kerb. Looking at the footage, he didn't hit it. I think he was distracted and has no idea what happened so, because he was distracted, he blamed himself.
If you watch the replay over and over (as I did), it really does look like something happened to the tire/suspension as it was kind of flapping around and not sitting correctly on the upright, just split seconds after he started to lose control.

It's possible that could have been the result of his error and not the case of it, but I don't think so. I'm siding with Brundle's take on this one.
As I said a long time ago...
viewtopic.php?p=915180#p915180

It was clearly a wheel or suspension failure in the right rear. There are hard carbon fiber pieces high in the air before KVT even goes off track. Although a wheel failure is a possibility.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 05 Aug 2020, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

Schuttelberg

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 05:02
Schuttelberg wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:28
I'm going to just say, I'm really happy with today.

2016 was difficult to take, specially Malaysia. However, I always believed that Rosberg was somewhere between a great and good driver. It's hard to still believe he won a title but the current line up of Mercedes makes it seem like a dream. I'm glad Bottas has a points deficit now and Hamilton has a 'bad luck buffer.' It's very obvious that Mercedes will finish 1-2 in most races unless something goes wrong and Bottas could've lucked into a title with Hamilton having a couple of DNF's.
Bottas in my book would make the worst world champion of all time and I like Hamilton, less than Schumacher but still like him and feel he deserves his success.

As for the race, it was as expected barring the final lap.
Bottas is better than Rosberg and Vettel.
And I am better looking than Brad Pitt.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Unc1eM0nty

langedweil wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 03:43
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:47
Great result for Ricciardo and Renault with some much needed points

Midfield is super competitive, with all the exitment of the late punctures I didn't see how Riccardio got past Norris, I've re-watched it but I'm non the wiser, there's no mention of it on the Sky commentary
Just had a look; lap 49 at Stowe, almost had it done a lap before.

I've upped the vid
https://youtu.be/aMK9a_szRic
Thanks for that :)

RZS10

Shrieker wrote:

There's footage from the rear facing camera ... clearly tyre failure

TheFluffy wrote:
His overtake was clearly off the track.
Keep in mind that they themselves defined the track limits in that corner as the outside of the black/white curb ... this was the farthest he was, so it was really marginal

ENGINE TUNER

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 21:59
langedweil wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 03:43
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:47
Great result for Ricciardo and Renault with some much needed points

Midfield is super competitive, with all the exitment of the late punctures I didn't see how Riccardio got past Norris, I've re-watched it but I'm non the wiser, there's no mention of it on the Sky commentary
Just had a look; lap 49 at Stowe, almost had it done a lap before.

I've upped the vid
https://youtu.be/aMK9a_szRic
Thanks for that :)
Almost looked like NOR had a car problem, low on fuel , brake issue. Something. Looked far too easy.

ENGINE TUNER

RZS10 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 22:45
Shrieker wrote:

https://streamable.com/pvsn5e
TheFluffy wrote:
His overtake was clearly off the track.
Keep in mind that they themselves defined the track limits in that corner as the outside of the black/white curb ... this was the farthest he was, so it was really marginal
https://i.imgur.com/veyEWsx.png
Could have been a wheel failure as well

Shrieker

Nice find.

That was a hard shunt but he should find solace at the fact that he had zero fault.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

lh13

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

2016 was difficult to take, specially Malaysia. However, I always believed that Rosberg was somewhere between a great and good driver. It's hard to still believe he won a title but the current line up of Mercedes makes it seem like a dream. I'm glad Bottas has a points deficit now and Hamilton has a 'bad luck buffer.' It's very obvious that Mercedes will finish 1-2 in most races unless something goes wrong and Bottas could've lucked into a title with Hamilton having a couple of DNF's.
Bottas in my book would make the worst world champion of all time and I like Hamilton, less than Schumacher but still like him and feel he deserves his success.

And you dislike Germans, for some reason. Keep going, but do remind me when Bottas wins a title, or 4.

LM10

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

Funny, you're the first one to reduce Vettel's titles to the performance of his car. Bottas who managed to get 2nd place in the championship only once since he's been driving for Mercedes despite having had the best/champion winning car every time is better now?
... =D>

Restomaniac

Shrieker wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 22:59
Nice find.

That was a hard shunt but he should find solace at the fact that he had zero fault.
Which means we actually had 4 cars with structural tyre failures.

ENGINE TUNER

LM10 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 23:24
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

Funny, you're the first one to reduce Vettel's titles to the performance of his car. Bottas who managed to get 2nd place in the championship only once since he's been driving for Mercedes despite having had the best/champion winning car every time is better now?
Keep on hating. =D>
I don't base that statement on their finishing position in the wdc, I base it on their speed relative to their teammate, racecraft and their ability to not make mistakes. BOT beats HAM in qually far more often than ROS did. LEC is demolishing VET, AGAIN. BOT makes less mistakes and causes less collisions than VET or ROS. BOT is better than VET and ROS.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dans79

RZS10 wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 22:45
https://streamable.com/pvsn5e
Pirelli is going to have a lot of explaining to do when the teams and the press core all see this footage. Instantaneous tire failure on a high speed section of track.
197 104 103 7