[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

mem wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:43
_cerber1 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:23
Quite the opposite, Toto said that saving the motor in qualifying would give them an edge in the race. Literally, he gave this ratio: 5 qualifying laps, equal to 25 fastest laps in the race.
if i understand the one mode correctly
they can't do fastest laps any more they have only one mode unless they will set the PU for the fastest lap mode which will kill the PU in one race or 2 , mercs strategy were always be to pull a gap then maintain it by switching modes.
if you mean they will lift and cost but won't that keep the higher mode timing map the same so the strain will remain?!!
tangodjango wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:25
Ok so Honda think they didn't use party mode and ers restrictions had no tangible effect but you know better? After Barcelona qualifying people were saying they had reprogrammed strat 2 to strat 3 so what prevents them from doing the reverse this time?
never heard of that , all i know they used strat 2 in SPA qualy, and honestly i think Max was able to stay near under 1.5 to Bottas and 5 to Hamilton till his tyres started to wear i even think 2 laps more and Ricciardo was going to win the race.
But which ever mode they are racing in, there will still be adjustments the driver can make to save fuel or reduce damage etc. The engine can be set to give as much power as possible for the start, then if possible later, save fuel and damage. This can be done by the driver altering a preset if allowed or just changing up sooner. No need to lift and coast, although it can be used aswell.

Also. We relly dont know what use of engine settings or 'modes' max had, so there will probably be a reduction in his power too. When I say engine, I include harvest etc too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mem

Big Tea wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:51
Also. We relly dont know what use of engine settings or 'modes' max had, so there will probably be a reduction in his power too. When I say engine, I include harvest etc too.
mate iam just stating the obvious , after 21 august uploading ERS info mercs lost power in SPA in qualy and in race.
Honda qualy and race trims less different than mercs this could mean they will be affected less , its all possibilities we consider , we will see the right image in Monza.

Wynters

mem wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 15:21
mate iam just stating the obvious , after 21 august uploading ERS info mercs lost power in SPA in qualy and in race.
Honda qualy and race trims less different than mercs this could mean they will be affected less , its all possibilities we consider , we will see the right image in Monza.
Quali? I'll defer to Juzh's expertise there.

Race? I'm not seeing it (although I've not looked at it in any detail yet). Could you share the data you have, please?

Sieper

@moore, Hahaha! Oh yes.

Imam really waiting for it. Probably crushed hopes but still. A good disappointment every now and then is also something to look forward to!

tangodjango

mem wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 14:43
_cerber1 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:23
Quite the opposite, Toto said that saving the motor in qualifying would give them an edge in the race. Literally, he gave this ratio: 5 qualifying laps, equal to 25 fastest laps in the race.
if i understand the one mode correctly
they can't do fastest laps any more they have only one mode unless they will set the PU for the fastest lap mode which will kill the PU in one race or 2 , mercs strategy were always be to pull a gap then maintain it by switching modes.
if you mean they will lift and cost but won't that keep the higher mode timing map the same so the strain will remain?!!
tangodjango wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 13:25
Ok so Honda think they didn't use party mode and ers restrictions had no tangible effect but you know better? After Barcelona qualifying people were saying they had reprogrammed strat 2 to strat 3 so what prevents them from doing the reverse this time?
never heard of that , all i know they used strat 2 in SPA qualy, and honestly i think Max was able to stay near under 1.5 to Bottas and 5 to Hamilton till his tyres started to wear i even think 2 laps more and Ricciardo was going to win the race.
You think they used strat 2 while Honda doesn't? What is the source of your information ? Karun Chandok?
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

mem

Wynters wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 15:40
mem wrote:

Race? I'm not seeing it (although I've not looked at it in any detail yet). Could you share the data you have, please?
yeah ok we are brainless blind
and in race Max was in Bottas gearbox for many laps and Hamilton at his sight until his tyres start to fall remind me where that did before in 2020 barring Silverstone 2
tangodjango wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 16:24
You think they used strat 2 while Honda doesn't? What is the source of your information ? Karun Chandok?
never did never said.
every one gone full beans :wink:

tangodjango

mem wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 16:39
Wynters wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 15:40
mem wrote:

yeah ok we are brainless blind
and in race Max was in Bottas gearbox for many laps and Hamilton at his sight until his tyres start to fall remind me where that did before in 2020 barring Silverstone 2
tangodjango wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 16:24
never did never said.
every one gone full beans :wink:
Your own post has quotes from Tanabe san saying they used quali mode while Mercedes did not. So I'm asking again do you have a source that says anything to the contrary?
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Lock2nl

Sieper wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 00:19
Comparable?

Maybe Renault was slightly better. Last year they were super in Monza. If You are correct Lock they will beat Max, but I don’t think that will happen.
Not necessarily. They may not beat Max. We do not know what plans RBR has with the RB16 at Monza, do we? But if Renault is also competitive at Mugello....

Sieper

Then they made a big step. I really don’t expect them to be. I expect Mclaren and racing point to be the top of the midfield at mugello again.

mem

tangodjango wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 16:45
Your own post has quotes from Tanabe san saying they used quali mode while Mercedes did not. So I'm asking again do you have a source that says anything to the contrary?
look dude you are wasting both our times and manipulating words
the respected trusted video guru member Juzh already confirmed mercs used strat 2 during q3 in SPA , now you say oh no they changed strat 2 and strat 3 bla bla its kinda boring you know

tangodjango

mem wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 17:20
tangodjango wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 16:45
look dude you are wasting both our times and manipulating words
the respected trusted video guru member Juzh already confirmed mercs used strat 2 during q3 in SPA , now you say oh no they changed strat 2 and strat 3 bla bla its kinda boring you know
This is from Juzh
"Bottas was told strat2 before starting the lap. I just checked. It makes sense since he beat verstappen by only 0.01s, without strat 2 he'd be behind."
Nothing prevents them from reprogramming strat 3 to strat 2, as people said in this thread they did the reverse in Barcelona qualifying. Mere verification of being told to use strat 2 is not proof that the actual highest engine mode was used especially when you have the Honda Engine Director who you quote in your own post saying the opposite. Now it could be subterfuge or not but kindly stop passing off your ERS suspicions and strat 2 "proof" as facts when they are logically anything but that.

Revs84

In the post-qualifying driver conference, Bottas said that Mercedes used the usual qualifying modes as they did during other quali sessions in previous weekends. For me this means that they used the most aggressive qualifying mode they have.

Whether it's true or not, it's hard to tell. In reality, you never know if they already changed anything in the modes in preparation for Monza. With that said, why would they go with a lower mode and risk losing pole position?

tangodjango

Revs84 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:59
In the post-qualifying driver conference, Bottas said that Mercedes used the usual qualifying modes as they did during other quali sessions in previous weekends. For me this means that they used the most aggressive qualifying mode they have.

Whether it's true or not, it's hard to tell. In reality, you never know if they already changed anything in the modes in preparation for Monza. With that said, why would they go with a lower mode and risk losing pole position?
As I mentioned having an opinion based on inference is perfectly fine. For me personally I think he trotted out the standard company line and I don't think that the amount of downforce they added would explain their low speed trap figures in q3 with party mode hence I tend to believe they probably didn't. Additionally why would Tanabe say they didn't use Q3 mode, he is generally pretty honest to the press. In any case as you say we simply don't know the truth one way or the other but I would be very happy if the gap lessens at Monza and we get some competitive action within 2-3 races.

zibby43

Revs84 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:59

It makes some sense when you think about it. Given how much Mercedes set their car up to be fast in S2, as opposed to be the fastest on the straights.

If I were Mercedes, and I think I also had the best chassis, not running the highest mode wouldn’t make me fear losing pole, especially since I already did it in Barcelona (and had a 7+ tenths gap on a non-power sensitive circuit).

It would give me invaluable data on how much margin I have, and how aggressively I need to program my single mode at Monza.

They might’ve also finally reprogrammed the steering wheels since Monza is a back-to-back race, and they want the drivers to be using familiar switches in the proper sessions going forward. Don’t think they’ll revamp the switchwork mid-season. Certain switch positions will just be the same map going forward.

Finally, this was the first race where the midfield made gains relative to Mercedes. The fact that Spa requires a less aerodynamically dominant car helped, but these quotes from Honda shed some more light on the weekend.

I personally don’t know the answer. We’ll find out more in Monza. Right now, I think Red Bull has a better low-downforce package than Mercedes.
Last edited by zibby43 on 01 Sep 2020, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

Moore77

https://motorsportz.nl/f1/honda-f1-niet ... pen-32450/

Honda F1 not planning to incur grid penalty in 2020.

They seem to be very confident of their reliability, especially with the new directive coming from Italy. :)
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.