[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mchamilton

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Big Tea wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 17:03
I think the Hamilton v Rosberg years have to be looked at carefully. No way can anyone say Rosberg was a poor driver, but some years, especially his winning year, he was not fighting the same Hamilton others have. He freely admits he got into Hamilton's head in the way only a team mate can. Hamilton did not have the supreme confidence in himself, his car and his team then that he does now, and has had since. I dont know if it is exaggerating to say he was mentally fragile, but he did not have the 101% mastery he has now.

To compare anyone else to Hamilton is using a different scale.
but dont forget the year Rosberg won, Lewis still out performed in nearly even metric. wins, poles, fastest laps. shocking starts and malaysia is what cost him more than any of Rosbergs tactics

e30ernest

Big Tea wrote:
He freely admits he got into Hamilton's head in the way only a team mate can. Hamilton did not have the supreme confidence in himself, his car and his team then that he does now, and has had since. I dont know if it is exaggerating to say he was mentally fragile, but he did not have the 101% mastery he has now.

That's part of the game though isn't it? Rosberg getting under Hamilton's skin is pretty much fair game. Hamilton also plays mind games too. Him tossing that cap at Rosberg was a very overt poke at his downed teammate. They both were playing that game.

Neno

Rosberg really didnt beat Hamilton as faster driver that year. He just really kept being close on Lewis on Lewis best days and on Lewis worst days which did happen that year he took advantage of that. Even Nico himself knew that kind of result was really not something he could have replicate again. And hence he retired because it was mentally exhausting for him when you know even on your really good days that guy who is your teammate will still be faster than you and without pure luck on your side you aint gonna beat him.

Big Tea

e30ernest wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 17:33
Big Tea wrote:
He freely admits he got into Hamilton's head in the way only a team mate can. Hamilton did not have the supreme confidence in himself, his car and his team then that he does now, and has had since. I dont know if it is exaggerating to say he was mentally fragile, but he did not have the 101% mastery he has now.

That's part of the game though isn't it? Rosberg getting under Hamilton's skin is pretty much fair game. Hamilton also plays mind games too. Him tossing that cap at Rosberg was a very overt poke at his downed teammate. They both were playing that game.
Yes, its part of the game, but that game can only be played by team mates. I will go further into speculation and say it can only work with a driver that is already well established in the same team.

Lewis is not only better established in the team now, but better prepared to 'have his head in the right place'.
He has an invaluable assert in Angela Cullen, and I have little doubt that had she been around at the time, she would have neutralised many of Rosbergs tricks.
It was a once off, and kudos to Nico for pulling it off, but I do not see it ever happening again (to Lewis)

Ps

I hope Angela does very, very well out of it, as she has had a huge influence on his career.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wass85

Big Tea wrote:
I think the Hamilton v Rosberg years have to be looked at carefully. No way can anyone say Rosberg was a poor driver, but some years, especially his winning year, he was not fighting the same Hamilton others have. He freely admits he got into Hamilton's head in the way only a team mate can. Hamilton did not have the supreme confidence in himself, his car and his team then that he does now, and has had since. I dont know if it is exaggerating to say he was mentally fragile, but he did not have the 101% mastery he has now.

Hamilton was hinting of sabotage at some stages in their partnership and you almost got the feeling it was becoming Nico's team just like at McLaren with Button.

Was I the only one seeing that, if so it may have been my reasoning for Hamilton underperforming.

I always believed Toto was a Nico man, don't know why?

Big Tea

Wass85 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:04
Big Tea wrote:

Hamilton was hinting of sabotage at some stages in their partnership and you almost got the feeling it was becoming Nico's team just like at McLaren with Button.

Was I the only one seeing that, if so it may have been my reasoning for Hamilton underperforming.

(a pure personal view, and i do not personally know either man, but ) I can not help but feel Lewis felt 'betrayed'' by Nico. They were big friends coning up through the ranks, and if you look at vids of early wins for either they both shared the joy. Later, it seemed to become bitter. I do not know who was at fault here, but it happened.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wass85

Big Tea wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:09
Wass85 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

(a pure personal view, and i do not personally know either man, but ) I can not help but feel Lewis felt 'betrayed'' by Nico. They were big friends coning up through the ranks, and if you look at vids of early wins for either they both shared the joy. Later, it seemed to become bitter. I do not know who was at fault here, but it happened.
It's clear they fell out because of the Monaco incident.

I'm talking with the team here, I always got the vibe the team and Toto looked more happy whenever Rosberg won.

Hamilton can let failures and such get to him more than it would other drivers and he has on occasions thrown the team under the bus which I imagine can put the backs up of people in the garage.

e30ernest

Big Tea wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 17:58
e30ernest wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 17:33
Big Tea wrote:

Yes, its part of the game, but that game can only be played by team mates. I will go further into speculation and say it can only work with a driver that is already well established in the same team.

Lewis is not only better established in the team now, but better prepared to 'have his head in the right place'.
He has an invaluable assert in Angela Cullen, and I have little doubt that had she been around at the time, she would have neutralised many of Rosbergs tricks.
It was a once off, and kudos to Nico for pulling it off, but I do not see it ever happening again (to Lewis)

Ps

I hope Angela does very, very well out of it, as she has had a huge influence on his career.
I think Rosberg learned many of his tricks with his 3 years with Michael. I actually found it funny that Michael would go as far as to hog the only available restroom to ensure Rosberg could not relieve himself prior to getting on the car. I think he got a few tricks out of the old maestro and then learned a few more after hiring a sports psychologist to help with his own mental well-being.

Yeah I think Angela plays a huge role in Lewis' success too. She really manages a lot of the things that would affect Lewis' performance, from diet to sleep and exercise. She started with Hamilton at 2016 though didn't she?

dans79

e30ernest wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 02:10
I think Rosberg learned many of his tricks with his 3 years with Michael. I actually found it funny that Michael would go as far as to hog the only available restroom to ensure Rosberg could not relieve himself prior to getting on the car. I think he got a few tricks out of the old maestro and then learned a few more after hiring a sports psychologist to help with his own mental well-being.
Rosberg said he did during the Barcelona weekend.

https://www.autoracing1.com/pl/316564
Rosberg says he learned a lot of his psychological tricks from his former Mercedes teammate Michael Schumacher.

“He was a psychological phenomenon,” Rosberg said. “He taught me a different approach.
197 104 103 7

e30ernest

dans79 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 02:16
e30ernest wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 02:10
Rosberg said he did during the Barcelona weekend.

https://www.autoracing1.com/pl/316564
Rosberg says he learned a lot of his psychological tricks from his former Mercedes teammate Michael Schumacher.

“He was a psychological phenomenon,” Rosberg said. “He taught me a different approach.
Haha missed that. Thanks for sharing it. :D

El Scorchio

Wass85 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:15
Big Tea wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

I'm talking with the team here, I always got the vibe the team and Toto looked more happy whenever Rosberg won.

Hamilton can let failures and such get to him more than it would other drivers and he has on occasions thrown the team under the bus which I imagine can put the backs up of people in the garage.
This post smells a little bit like rotten bait.

Wass85

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 15:28
Wass85 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I think your sense of smell is failing.

What don't you agree with?

El Scorchio

Wass85 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 15:55
El Scorchio wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

What's your intention with the points about Toto favouring Rosberg, and Hamilton throwing people under the bus? Seems somewhat inflammatory and provocative.

Moore77

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 16:00
Wass85 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

What's your intention with the points about Toto favouring Rosberg, and Hamilton throwing people under the bus? Seems somewhat inflammatory and provocative.
Why is it inflammatory and provocative and to who? To Rosberg, Hamilton, Toto or employees of Mercedes? If they are in this forum, they are welcome to comment.

[Edit] searching for a hostile response - Comment given for the down vote.
I am not disappointed. Well, it seems like someone can't get hold of their emotions. :) Thanks for the encouragement.
Last edited by Moore77 on 02 Sep 2020, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

El Scorchio

Moore77 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 16:03
El Scorchio wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 16:00
Wass85 wrote:

Why is it inflammatory and provocative and to who? To Rosberg, Hamilton, Toto or employees of Mercedes? If they are in this forum, they are welcome to comment.
My feeling is that it's trying to illicit a certain response from Hamilton fans. Whether I'm right or wrong it certainly seems that way intended. You are of course free to disagree.