McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43

Re: McLaren MCL35

via lukalukaluka

mclaren111

Top view of Diffuser Edge....

charliesmithhd

Sainz running the new aero element in quali, lando without. Maybe they only had I set of them, or maybe lando preferred the balance without it

Emag

charliesmithhd wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 15:49
Sainz running the new aero element in quali, lando without. Maybe they only had I set of them, or maybe lando preferred the balance without it
By "the new aero element" do you mean the revised vanes on the sidepods?

charliesmithhd

Emag wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 16:46
charliesmithhd wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 15:49
By "the new aero element" do you mean the revised vanes on the sidepods?
Yes, the horizontal elements by the sidepod

SmallSoldier

charliesmithhd wrote:Sainz running the new aero element in quali, lando without. Maybe they only had I set of them, or maybe lando preferred the balance without it
The lack of running on FP2 may have hindered him a bit too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macklaren

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 17:27
charliesmithhd wrote:Sainz running the new aero element in quali, lando without. Maybe they only had I set of them, or maybe lando preferred the balance without it

yes good point. I was surprised Lando didn't run a lot more in FP3 though. Track was empty for long periods of time but he didn't seem to want to catch up on lost FP2 time.

SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Sep 2020, 17:27

yes good point. I was surprised Lando didn't run a lot more in FP3 though. Track was empty for long periods of time but he didn't seem to want to catch up on lost FP2 time.
My guess is risk - reward... Use more tires, add laps to the engine (because they are already with the race engine in FP3 compared to older engine in FP1) may have driven the team to opt to not add more running... The results of FP3 were also encouraging for both cars and I’m sure the telemetry was showing comparable lap times.

Emag

I have no idea how people were calling this car conservative when they unveiled it. It is seriously one of the tightest packages on the grid, and the Renault engine is one of the bulkiest by design. I don't think RedBull was slimmer than this back in 2018. The Mercedes engine is going to allow for an even tighter rear-end, and depending on the cooling requirements, they can potentially take out some radiators from the top airbox to improve CoG too.

billamend

From the side, the car looks so aggressive, wonder if that's because the way the blue plays with the shape of the car.

Does anyone know if this is a low downforce part? Or to be applied to every track?

the EDGE

billamend wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 14:23
From the side, the car looks so aggressive, wonder if that's because the way the blue plays with the shape of the car.

Does anyone know if this is a low downforce part? Or to be applied to every track?
Well I've never heard of parts being 'added' to reduce drag or lower downforce before, so I would say they're here to stay

SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
billamend wrote:

Well I've never heard of parts being 'added' to reduce drag or lower downforce before, so I would say they're here to stay
The part is just part of the cars package, probably helping seal the floor better.

the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 16:43
the EDGE wrote:
billamend wrote:

The part is just part of the cars package, probably helping seal the floor better.

I would have thought they create vortices low down along the Side of the car (but above the floor) helping to protect the clean air being channeled around the side pods and over the diffuser from the outwashed air created by the front wing and barge boards

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:34
SmallSoldier wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

I would have thought they create vortices low down along the Side of the car (but above the floor) helping to protect the clean air being channeled around the side pods and over the diffuser from the outwashed air created by the front wing and barge boards
Also looks a bit like a mini diffuser itself. That part looks small but significant. Look forward to hearing what some of the more technical minded think about it. Seems like it may help the floor and the side pods.

I wonder if these were the interesting shapes that Ivan Roldan mentioned.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:25
the EDGE wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:34
SmallSoldier wrote:

Also looks a bit like a mini diffuser itself. That part looks small but significant. Look forward to hearing what some of the more technical minded think about it. Seems like it may help the floor and the side pods.

I wonder if these were the interesting shapes that Ivan Roldan mentioned.
Yes, this is what Ivan referred to, he confirmed it when they appeared on the car in Spa. He said it’s his last contribution to the F1 side of things, for the moment at least.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.