2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

Big Tea wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:41
So, what is peoples view on this race?

Yes it was entertaining, except for line up in the pits under red, when half the viewers switched channels, and got interested in something else, ans I want to see racing, not crashing out.

I am not impressed at half the drivers not seeming to know the restart rules either.
Terrible race on a track not suitable for F1. Gravel traps have no place in F1. FIA might need to consider moving the restart back the the safety car line.

dtro

Schuttelberg wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:26
God you have to respect Lewis for that message. Anyone with their nuts and bolts in their brains shouldn't object to that.

And Bottas!! He is decimated. I know the Mercedes is a prize seat, but he needs to walk away from it if he wants to have anything called a career from 2022.
Why did Hamilton have to name his clothing brand Police tho. #-o Frankly nothing is changing on the ground in the US. Corporate messaging amounts to nil.

Bottas is absolutely decimated. Get someone in that seat to challenge Hamilton.

PlatinumZealot

Racer X wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:04
Lance claims he got a puncture but who knows maybe he did it happeed so fast. It's a shame all those car upgrades ended up in the barriers...
From my point of view... He damaged the edge of his floor earlier in the race. That peice of the floor is what broke off and burst his tyre.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racer X

Well it's too bad they only had enough for one car could have had a podium.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Moore77

dtro wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 19:00
Why did Hamilton have to name his clothing brand Police tho. #-o Frankly nothing is changing on the ground in the US. Corporate messaging amounts to nil.
This is exactly what they want you to believe and not want you bother about trying. Atleast he is trying, unlike many other privileged sports people who doesn't bother even knowing what injustice is happening around them.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

214270 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:44
Looking at the SC restart, there really shouldn’t be any gaps. There was a massive one on this restart seemingly resulting from RIC who I believe was sleeping.

I believe because of that artificial gap, RIC might have tried to floor it and close the gap ahead causing a chain reaction behind. That’s how I eyeball it from the replays.
Turns out it was RUS in the third group
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

RZS10

Both Russell and Kvyat left big gaps and floored it before slowing down again ... but being really strict, Norris was the only driver who kept a consistent speed in the mid pack

But many drivers seem to blame the change of rules (mainly that overtaking is only allowed after the start finish line instead of the first SC line like it used to be) and how late the SC lights are being turned off making it impossible to slow the pack before the last corner (essentially restarting the race with like 1-2 corners to go)

During the post race presser Bottas even claimed that Mercedes brought up the issue of the late SC lights (probably because the F2 SC restarts were a mess) and the simple response they got was that they'll keep doing it because it's good for the show ...

So the FIA, Masi and/or Liberty want that chaos.

dtro

Moore77 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 19:13
dtro wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 19:00
This is exactly what they want you to believe and not want you bother about trying. Atleast he is trying, unlike many other privileged sports people who doesn't bother even knowing what injustice is happening around them.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely support what Lewis is doing in F1, what Colin Kaepernick did in the NFL, what Muhammad Ali did decades prior, and so forth. I just think it's mildly tone deaf to be against injustice while naming your clothing brand "Police" when many people are chanting Defund the Police.

Lewis Hamilton is the goat in F1 for me, put him in a car from any time period and he'd have done just as well. Being a great racing driver doesn't necessarily make you philosopher, it doesn't make you ethical, or remove the aspects of one's life that may contradict one's political view.

Alls I'm saying is that F1 is not the place I look for moral nuance.

NL_Fer

Racer X wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 18:04
Lance claims he got a puncture but who knows maybe he did it happeed so fast. It's a shame all those car upgrades ended up in the barriers...
Clear to see, he was not even on the green part, but on the kerb itself. Dit not even steer right before the rear just broke and moved left.

Sieper

There was some carbon there. Parts came off another car.

PlatinumZealot

The view as the cars chase each other around this flowing track reminded of me of the days with schumacher ripping up the stopwatch and montoya or some other poor soul trying their best to hang on V10 screaming... :D

Those days were formula 1 to me.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nevill3

So three drivers summoned to the stewards, Kyvat included. The race result is not finalized yet.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

matt_b

nevill3 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 19:48
So three drivers summoned to the stewards, Kyvat included. The race result is not finalized yet.
Why miss out the other two? Nicholas Latifi and Kevin Magnussen

I’m trying to understand if BOT really had a chance around the STROLL SC incident.

HAM passed the pits and was driving to SC delta (which is faster than behind the SC), and after completing the lap he pitted for new tyres. If the SC hadn’t picked up BOT, BOT would still have had to drive to the same delta, no? ie. the only way he passes HAM, is if HAM gets picked up by the SC before he pits (so he’s at SC pace) which couldn’t happen because HAM was way down the road, right?
Last edited by 214270 on 13 Sep 2020, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Steven
Owner

I was happy to see gravel traps again. It is one of the reasons why there are so few finishers.

The negative here is the amount of runoff there is available for the drivers to cut corners. I'm annoyed by that at Spa as well, with the runoff simply allowing drivers to get through the corners faster. It takes away from the circuit, and adding more will make more corners flat out.

I'm not against having the runoffs, but then the FIA should act on people going out of the track all the time. The exit of the last corner at Mugello was a joke really. People were just accelerating out of the corner while being off track, without doing any effort to join the track quickly.

With all that machine learning power at AWS, it can't be that difficult to use stationary cameras at some corners to make sure the runoffs are used only for what they are meant to.

Anyway, nice flowing track, but I don't see a repeat happening. Maybe next year, but when we return to a normal schedule, there won't be place for 2 races in Italy.