[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Makes sense. Mercedes have already recouped their investment many times over.
Toto too will make a killing on the sale.

Unlike the chassis, only the engine matters technology wise anyway.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43

Motorsport.com scuttled Jordan’s claims today.

Ineos may buy some shares, but they’re not going for majority ownership.

Merc makes billions in advertising/business goodwill from their F1 involvement.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ineo ... n/4874139/
Such a dramatic exit for Mercedes is understood to be unlikely however, with the German car manufacturer having been clear in recent months that it is fully committed to remaining in F1 as a works team for many years to come.

However, what cannot be ruled out is Ineos ramping up its involvement in the outfit by buying a shareholding on the back of it becoming a major sponsor and technical partner earlier this year.

e30ernest

foxmulder_ms wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 03:15
Mercedes is a lucky team to have a Legend:

https://i.postimg.cc/8ztQCX1H/200914065 ... ge-169.jpg

I wonder who can replace him in few years. I was hoping for Ocon but he couldn't beat Perez and now being schooled by Riciardo.
Of the current young drivers on the grid, only Russell seems to have the potential. Lando had some high moments but lately Sainz seems to have his number. Of course Merc can try to pirate Max, or Charles too.

Moore77

wesley123 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 20:54
Big Tea wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 13:09
the Mailonline article says 'according to Eddie Jordan' Maybe we should not jump to conclusions yet
The thing with rumors is that there is always some merit to it.
Rumours had it that Mercedes was to exit F1 in 2018 and Hamilton was moving to Ferrari. Same rumor resurfaced that same exact thing was going to happen in 2021. Now Mercedes have signed the concord deal.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

hollus

Guys, NO POLITICS. Thank you.
Yes, I know it is Hamilton. No politics for now, please.
Rivals, not enemies.

Big Tea

e30ernest wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 03:19
foxmulder_ms wrote:

I wonder who can replace him in few years. I was hoping for Ocon but he couldn't beat Perez and now being schooled by Riciardo.
Of the current young drivers on the grid, only Russell seems to have the potential. Lando had some high moments but lately Sainz seems to have his number. Of course Merc can try to pirate Max, or Charles too.
Charles would be my guess. Ferrari will rush to get M Schumacher on the car and Charles will leave for Merc.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

e30ernest wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:

RUSs speed is debatable. I do believe he needs to be tested in a team further up the grid but it’s not apparent he’s better than BOT on a Sat or Sun.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

SiLo

I'd like to see him get some time in the Mercedes at in season tests. Or even both Hamilton and Bottas missing an FP1 for Russel and someone else to get some practice in there.
Felipe Baby!

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 11:48
e30ernest wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:

Charles would be my guess. Ferrari will rush to get M Schumacher on the car and Charles will leave for Merc.
I think Mercedes is quite proud (behind the scenes) that all of their drivers since 2010 were in some way the product of the Mercedes junior program.

When Hamilton decided it will be enough (in a couple of years) he would probably have Russell next to him already. Can’t see any other way then 2021 is the last year of Bottas at Mercedes.

In 22 there would be a clear indication how good he is, what Hamilton’s plans are and if Mercedes is still top dog.

As for Leclerc and Verstappen, both their teams have committed to them in great extent. An open spot at Mercedes will drive up both their salaries to heights never seen before for a non world champion.

At the moment Leclerc, although very fast over a single lap, huge personality and very aggressive, he still needs to further sharpen is race crafts in being nice to tires and car. Verstappen is a more complete driver and had these abilities naturally. Leclerc is a bit Mansell like.

So, lots of stuff still has to happen in the next couple of seasons, but at the moment my money is on Verstappen already having a letter of intent with Mercedes.

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:04
Big Tea wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

I think Mercedes is quite proud (behind the scenes) that all of their drivers since 2010 were in some way the product of the Mercedes junior program.

When Hamilton decided it will be enough (in a couple of years) he would probably have Russell next to him already. Can’t see any other way then 2021 is the last year of Bottas at Mercedes.

In 22 there would be a clear indication how good he is, what Hamilton’s plans are and if Mercedes is still top dog.

As for Leclerc and Verstappen, both their teams have committed to them in great extent. An open spot at Mercedes will drive up both their salaries to heights never seen before for a non world champion.

At the moment Leclerc, although very fast over a single lap, huge personality and very aggressive, he still needs to further sharpen is race crafts in being nice to tires and car. Verstappen is a more complete driver and had these abilities naturally. Leclerc is a bit Mansell like.

So, lots of stuff still has to happen in the next couple of seasons, but at the moment my money is on Verstappen already having a letter of intent with Mercedes.
Don't forget Charles is driving a Ferrari, the same one Vettel is struggling with. He may be able to change style as required.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:06
Jolle wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 12:04
Big Tea wrote:

Don't forget Charles is driving a Ferrari, the same one Vettel is struggling with. He may be able to change style as required.
I am aware. But also that in his style the car is eating tires, while Vettel with his experience can go longer. At the moment Verstappen can do a blistering fast lap like Leclerc and at the same time extend tire life like Perez/Vettel.

But, all, at the moment. I’m very aware that this is just Leclec’s third year in F1, driving a barn door on erasing rubber with the heaviest politics looking over his shoulder. Big names have cracked with less.

SiLo wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 11:57
I'd like to see him get some time in the Mercedes at in season tests. Or even both Hamilton and Bottas missing an FP1 for Russel and someone else to get some practice in there.
I think Merc have this comparison data already. He needs an RP seat or something similar (not that that’s ever going to happen) or somehow for the Williams to jump up the grid. He’s in a difficult situation either way.

I’d wager VER is the backup anyway once HAM retires.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

SiLo

214270 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 13:17
SiLo wrote:
I think Merc have this comparison data already. He needs an RP seat or something similar (not that that’s ever going to happen) or somehow for the Williams to jump up the grid. He’s in a difficult situation either way.

Verstappen and Russel sounds like a good pairing.
Felipe Baby!

Jolle

SiLo wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 13:23
214270 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 13:17
SiLo wrote:

Verstappen and Russel sounds like a good pairing.
VER still has three years (21-23) on his contract, LEC a year longer (21-24)

a three year deal with HAM sounds like a good starting point.

He could quit with ten championships under his belt.

e30ernest

214270 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 11:50
e30ernest wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:

RUSs speed is debatable. I do believe he needs to be tested in a team further up the grid but it’s not apparent he’s better than BOT on a Sat or Sun.
I haven't seen anything to indicate that George is anything but very fast. I think until now he's still held a perfect score in qualifying against his team mates, he's consistently putting that Williams up further up than I would think that car would normally be in during a race and he seems to have a pretty mature, calm head.

Also anecdotal, he pretty much dominated the F1 virtual off-season. I know it's just for fun, but all those drivers are competitive against each other. I'm sure at least part of them would try to win even those virtual races.