McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
haza

Re: McLaren MCL35

haza wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 10:21
charliesmithhd wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 15:10
haza wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 15:01
I actually was surprised with the nose change I drew a 3D model of something very similar for the MCL-35 though my design had a double flapped cape and 2 openings at the top Sides of the Nose and exit tunnels at the bottom to create a Z-duct
Is it possible to post have a screenshot of it? Seems interesting
I’m still working on the concept but I can give you all an idea on the concept, the idea is for the nose to have 3 openings one at the tip an 2 on the top sides of the nose the idea is for airflow to go through these channels and out of 2 tunnels that exit at the bottom rear of the nose theoretically it should send the airflow through the nose and out the bottom towards the turning vanes and bargeboards and the cape is effectively a double cape that is basically designed to add a small amount of downforce it is still very early designs and I am yet to do CFD Simulations between the current nose and my concept for comparison
I’m hoping to incorporate this concept physically on a chassis I’m building

M840TR

haza wrote:
charliesmithhd wrote:
haza wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 15:01
I actually was surprised with the nose change I drew a 3D model of something very similar for the MCL-35 though my design had a double flapped cape and 2 openings at the top Sides of the Nose and exit tunnels at the bottom to create a Z-duct
I’m still working on the concept but I can give you all an idea on the concept, the idea is for the nose to have 3 openings one at the tip an 2 on the top sides of the nose the idea is for airflow to go through these channels and out of 2 tunnels that exit at the bottom rear of the nose theoretically it should send the airflow through the nose and out the bottom towards the turning vanes and bargeboards and the cape is effectively a double cape that is basically designed to add a small amount of downforce it is still very early designs and I am yet to do CFD Simulations between the current nose and my concept for comparison
The 2018/2019 nose was actually very similar to this. The central nostril exited at the bottom of the cape, creating a low-pressure zone underneath. The problem with the vented nose philosophy seems to be consistency of airflow and robustness of the structure. The current nose already hangs by a thread on the fw neutral section; if you remove the bulky pillars like on the Mcl35 while creating a hole significant enough for airflow to pass through for aero, then the crash structure is compromised. But if you create holes large enough for aero on a slim nose then you'd have to make the mounts bulky which impede the air and make it inconsistent.

haza

M840TR wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 10:47
haza wrote:
charliesmithhd wrote:

The 2018/2019 nose was actually very similar to this. The central nostril exited at the bottom of the cape, creating a low-pressure zone underneath. The problem with the vented nose philosophy seems to be consistency of airflow and robustness of the structure. The current nose already hangs by a thread on the fw neutral section; if you remove the bulky pillars like on the Mcl35 while creating a hole significant enough for airflow to pass through for aero, then the crash structure is compromised. But if you create holes large enough for aero on a slim nose then you'd have to make the mounts bulky which impede the air and make it inconsistent.
I did think about this (fw mounts) and I opted to actually build the wing into the nose instead of hanging on mounts

haza

haza wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:01
M840TR wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 10:47
haza wrote:

I did think about this (fw mounts) and I opted to actually build the wing into the nose instead of hanging on mounts
Also the main 2 opening are towards the rear of the nose rather than the tip

Carlen

Hello everyone! In the next year we will have fuel and lubricants from Petronas or Gulf?

the EDGE

Carlen wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 21:50
Hello everyone! In the next year we will have fuel and lubricants from Petronas or Gulf?
Hi Carlen. This thread is to discuss the MCL35

The thread to discuss anything else about Mclaren is the team thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28681&start=4305

The answer is however Petronas, Gulf will however supply lubricants to every new McLaren road car

Carlen

the EDGE wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 22:01
Carlen wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 21:50
Hi Carlen. This thread is to discuss the MCL35

The thread to discuss anything else about Mclaren is the team thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28681&start=4305

The answer is however Petronas, Gulf will however supply lubricants to every new McLaren road car
Ok. Thanks for the answer

_cerber1

SmallSoldier

That’s a good article... Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

siskue2005

So basically similar concept as Mercedes

mclaren111

Interesting Flow....

_cerber1

Most likely, this is the profile of the nose itself, and the paint just spread over it.

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 14:20
Most likely, this is the profile of the nose itself, and the paint just spread over it.
He's talking about the airflow in the flow-vis. You can actually see the airflow in the paint (flow-vis).

Macklaren

no pitlane pics yet??

bauc

Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg