2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

Driving without seatbelts - Spain 2020
Drives with broken car, debris is flying around- Japan 2019
Weaving in braking zone(multiple times) - Monza 2019
Cutting corner to keep position Monza 2019
Protocol breath fuel at Abu Dhabi 2019
Breaks Covid19 protocol - 2020
Unsafe release Germany 2019
Start incident Sochi 2020 (comparable to Lewis vs Albon in Austria)
Practice start outside of the designated area in Spa 2020

These are the incidents Leclerc has been let go scot free

dans79

Mudflap wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 17:14
dans79 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 16:30
Mudflap wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 16:00
More on LEC doing a similar practice start at SPA

https://the-race.com/formula-1/hamilton ... t-leclerc/
I wonder how hard the FIA/Masi is going to try and ignore this fact. It would be nice if the press actually put the screws to the FIA/Masi for stuff like this instead of defaulting to the constant fluff they all turn out now.
It's not the first time they have been blatantly inconsistent and it won't be the last. They will just recycle whatever defence they have used in the past.

The paragraph below sums it up well: Stewards are amateurs. I acknoledge that improvements must be made in how the rules are defined but at the end of the day it's up to a bunch of part timers to enforce them correctly.
The first step to solving this, surely, is to acknowledge stewarding should be a full-time occupation. Professionalise the process. They are referees, after all, and other sports with the necessary resource treat that with the respect and commitment the role demands. As it stands the FIA picks from a rotating pool of stewards, for whom this is not a full-time job.
I'dd add to that, there primary concern should be the rule book, not the show!

for example we have this from a 2017 Baku steward.
“Of course we also had a more harsher penalty in our program. The Black Flag for a disqualification or race ban. But Hamilton had no damage and we likewise didnt wanted to influence the championship too much.” -Paul Gujahr
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 17:32
Mudflap wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 17:14
dans79 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 16:30

“Of course we also had a more harsher penalty in our program. The Black Flag for a disqualification or race ban. But Hamilton had no damage and we likewise didnt wanted to influence the championship too much.” -Paul Gujahr
Your Honour, my car looks far better at 60 mph than at the 30 limit, and there were lots of people watching.

Ah, OK, off you go then
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

siskue2005 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 17:25
Driving without seatbelts - Spain 2020
Drives with broken car, debris is flying around- Japan 2019
Weaving in braking zone(multiple times) - Monza 2019
Cutting corner to keep position Monza 2019
Protocol breath fuel at Abu Dhabi 2019
Breaks Covid19 protocol - 2020
Unsafe release Germany 2019
Start incident Sochi 2020 (comparable to Lewis vs Albon in Austria)
Practice start outside of the designated area in Spa 2020

These are the incidents Leclerc has been let go scot free

If you think about all this, it is just ridiculous!
How is it possible that he was not punished for all this ?!
Is everyone there blind? #-o

By the way, what a nice avatar you have. :wink:
The Power of Dreams!

foxmulder_ms

Wynters wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 12:37
Never blame on conspiracy something that can be blamed on incompetence. There's ample evidence that the Stewards (in general) couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. The idea that they could string together some sort of multi-race, consistent anti-Hamilton campaign is entirely at odds with their inability to string together consistency across multiple laps of the same race.

I secretly suspect that the reason Salo had sufficient time to leak information is because all the Stewards do is arrive in the morning, spin one wheel with all the driver's names on, one wheel with all the penalties and one wheel with a random list of infringements and then issue their rulings based on that. If they get really bored, they spin the wheels again.
They were so happy to give penalty to Hamilton they were literally giggling when camera cut to them. If this was Vestappen or Leclerc, they wouldn't even think of 10 sec penalty that will rob them from winning the race for such a tiny "rule break".

Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 17:32

I disagree. Their sole (only) concern should be the rule book. That is the only thing they should be concerned about.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nevill3

When Hamilton was summoned to the stewards for not going around the bollards at turn 2 during qualifying Johny Herbert said the stewards would look back at other incidents similar to the latest one and apply the same penalty. Hence Lewis and several other drivers were "let off" but warned a time penalty would be applied if they or anybody else did the same in the race. This was based on previous edicts that required drivers to navigate around random bollards/markers when failing to make a corner at other tracks and drivers had failed to comply.

So why did these same stewards fail to apply the same penalty that Charles received in Spa to Lewis?? As has been mentioned, different stewards at different races but the one constant is Massi
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

nzjrs

In the F1TV Joylon Palmer analysis (https://f1tv.formula1.com/en/) they show the rear-facing camera of Hamilton doing the practice starts. While he waits, a few cars pass him at race speed as they round the near-blind exit and onto the racetrack. It looked quite dangerous in my opinion - which was also said by Sainz/Norris (17m53s)

I could understand the parties in charge not having the appetite for leniency (yada yada no room for interpretation bla bla leclerc) after seeing the rear-facing camera footage.

basti313

nzjrs wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 14:09
While he waits, a few cars pass him at race speed as they round the near-blind exit and onto the racetrack. It looked quite dangerous in my opinion - which was also said by Sainz/Norris (17m53s)
If you read this thread carefully, you should see that the cars passing there at high speed should be penalized. And Leclerc.
Don`t russel the hamster!

dans79

basti313 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 16:10
If you read this thread carefully, you should see that the cars passing there at high speed should be penalized. And Leclerc.
If you also read this thread carefully there's a definite group of get him people as well.
197 104 103 7

nzjrs

basti313 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 16:10
nzjrs wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 14:09
While he waits, a few cars pass him at race speed as they round the near-blind exit and onto the racetrack. It looked quite dangerous in my opinion - which was also said by Sainz/Norris (17m53s)
Thank you for your help.

Having read this thread carefully I noted only the two videos I posted had not been posted! The Joylon Palmer F1TV ones are always fantastic and often have otherwise unseen footage.

My opinion was only that it looked like a dangerous place to stop - I'm agnostic on whether it was deserving of a penalty or not, that's like talking about the referee decisions after the match is finished. Boring :arrow:

PlatinumZealot

Unnecessarily harsh penalties have become part and parcel of Hamilton's legacy. Makes a more enthralling story i suppose. Still I Rise is a good episode title for the Netflix.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LM10

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:47
LM10 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:41
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:28

So? hasnt he struggled from childhood to reach where he is now? and the best team etc etc blah blah is what he deserved with all these years of hard work.... it is like saying "oh look Bill gates he has all the money, he doesn't deserve it"
No one has achieved anything by simply sitting at home and hating, trolling over the internet :lol:

And the stupidity today was partly the teams' fault too, gave him authorization to do that
I'm not talking about his struggle in childhood. He's not been the only struggling human being out there.
He worked hard to be there where he is, so did others. But that's not my point anyway so I don't understand why you started talking about his childhood.
The point I'm trying to make is that I fail to see why some people try to give the impression of Lewis having to deal with difficulties now because he's as at least far away from that as is Ferrari from the championship this season.
Your posts and countless similar posts prove that people always hate the ones who are successful. and it has trickled down to the establishment aswell.
Remeber Monza 2019, with that much amount of swerving, pushing and track cutting Leclerc did there, if it was Lewis they would have given in 10 sec Stop go and 10 penalty points :lol: That pattern has been seen in this season aswell!

To give penalty points for team's fault AND a race penalty
Remeber 2019 German GP when Leclerc was not given any penalty, instead the team was given financial fine! :roll:
Hmm, do you see the pattern here!

And the thing about his childhood struggles, i needed to make the point that what is having now is well deserved
Didn't have time to react to your post earlier.

What hate from my side are you talking about? Any quotes you can show which prove your point?
You know, criticism does not equal hate. If you're not ok with that it's your business. Having said that, I've not even criticized Lewis, but those who try to build the impression of him being the poor victim who needs to fight the whole world and against all odds to survive.
Contrary to your false claim that I hate Lewis, I regularly praise his skills. So next time get your facts right and don't make things up, please. Thank you.

maxxer

LM10 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 21:45
siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:47
LM10 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 15:41

I'm not talking about his struggle in childhood. He's not been the only struggling human being out there.
He worked hard to be there where he is, so did others. But that's not my point anyway so I don't understand why you started talking about his childhood.
The point I'm trying to make is that I fail to see why some people try to give the impression of Lewis having to deal with difficulties now because he's as at least far away from that as is Ferrari from the championship this season.
Your posts and countless similar posts prove that people always hate the ones who are successful. and it has trickled down to the establishment aswell.
Remeber Monza 2019, with that much amount of swerving, pushing and track cutting Leclerc did there, if it was Lewis they would have given in 10 sec Stop go and 10 penalty points :lol: That pattern has been seen in this season aswell!

To give penalty points for team's fault AND a race penalty
Remeber 2019 German GP when Leclerc was not given any penalty, instead the team was given financial fine! :roll:
Hmm, do you see the pattern here!

And the thing about his childhood struggles, i needed to make the point that what is having now is well deserved
Didn't have time to react to your post earlier.

What hate from my side are you talking about? Any quotes you can show which prove your point?
You know, criticism does not equal hate. If you're not ok with that it's your business. Having said that, I've not even criticized Lewis, but those who try to build the impression of him being the poor victim who needs to fight the whole world and against all odds to survive.
Contrary to your false claim that I hate Lewis, I regularly praise his skills. So next time get your facts right and don't make things up, please. Thank you.
I cant even imgaine paying for my son to go karting must be so expensive now to start in autosports without sponsors.

PlatinumZealot

This is the second win snatched from Lewis this year. Ten races, six wins for Lewis, Two to Bottas, one to Max, one to Gasly. It could easily have been eight! wins with seven to go. He cannot break Vettel's 13 wins in a season record this year.

Max cannot realistically achieve youngest world champion this year to break Vettel's record of 23 years 134 days.
Max has a chance for next year, but he will be 24 years of age in his 7th year.
Lewis won his championship at 23 years 300 days in his 2nd year.

Except for youngest winner, Max is no longer the youngest of anything anymore. Maybe the "youngest veteran" if we listen to Damian Marley, because of his advanced racing age of six years.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏